PDA

View Full Version : House in Rome: Revisit

Exception
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
This was my graduation project for industrial design engineering (that's right) in 2005. I just loaded up the old object to play around with it, and made a handful of new renders. I didn't change the model...

I know this isn't perfect in terms of 3D, but I like the space and the design so much I decided to put some effort into rendering a nice lighting setup anyway. Maybe I'll have time to work on the model itself a bit, liven it up, add some detail. The most distriving thing to me is the burnout of the stone texture, that doesn't seem to be surviving the linear workflow very well.

It's rendered with Kray.

I hope you enjoy the space as much as I do. This was an apartment in a 4 apartment building I designed for Richard Meier, the Architect, in combination with a park and an arcade with some boutiques. The apartment features a small private library (the circular volume in the corner), several formal and informal work and lounge spaces that blend into one another. It has very strong formal symbolism relating to the Therme di Caracalla, Hadrien's Villa, Palladio, and Richard Meier's work and that of the modernist movement in general, among others. The living room and central area shown here is meant to invoke some awe, and a direct contrast between bays, their relationship in materials, and light, that all have a specific meaning.

As usual with most of my own designs, everything here is specifically designed and modeled for this house. No stock objects, textures or materials used.

Edit: JPG compression of the board system messes up some of the fine detail. Blotching is not part of the original... :)

Lewis
03-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Looking great Tom , I'd love to have so much light in my house but with that much windows it would be hard to keep it warm at cold winters ;).

Exception
03-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Looking great Tom , I'd love to have so much light in my house but with that much windows it would be hard to keep it warm at cold winters ;).

Thanks...
Actually, proper windows heat up your house in winter... these do :)
In fact, I published a research report (http://www.except.nl/consult/TripleGlazingStudy/index.html)on that just this week.

art
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
That's good to know. I will be replacing my old windows sometime within a year or so.

I'd love to live in a house like that, my wife probably would not.
When you say that everything was specifically created for the project, do you mean that you painted/photographed the textures as well? Particularly walls and floor. Or is it all procedural?

Exception
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
When you say that everything was specifically created for the project, do you mean that you painted/photographed the textures as well? Particularly walls and floor. Or is it all procedural?

I don't usually paint textures, I do use photographic material as a base... the texture of the walls is painstakingly combined from several photographs I took of various stone types. Despite my best efforts, it still tiles a bit.
The wood was made using wood workshop, which is awesome.

geo_n
03-06-2009, 06:36 AM
nice atmosphere. the bricks and wood textures have bump? they look flat.

monovich
03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
great design and renders. The overall effect is a bit stark for my tastes, I think because of the broad use of stone throughout. In the first render it starts feeling a bit cave-like in the distance, but the second render/position doesn't seem that way at all.

Larry_g1s
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Really nice Tom. These were rendering in Kray huh (great render engine)? That's funny, because your style definitely shows through even on a different render engine. I wouldn't have guessed you used something different then your norm. Nice designs.

Exception
03-08-2009, 08:19 AM
great design and renders. The overall effect is a bit stark for my tastes, I think because of the broad use of stone throughout. In the first render it starts feeling a bit cave-like in the distance, but the second render/position doesn't seem that way at all.

Thanks.

Have you ever visited the Therme di caracalla or Trajan's markets in Rome? They show this effect... in a single image a certain atmosphere is revelaed but due to the directionality of force and material usage you get a very interesting intersection of atmospheres that conveys both lightness and solidity at various moments. That was one of the main intentions.

zapper1998
03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
wow....

nthused
03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Love your designs Tom. Thanks for sharing this one. Nice work.

monovich
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks.

Have you ever visited the Therme di caracalla or Trajan's markets in Rome? They show this effect... in a single image a certain atmosphere is revelaed but due to the directionality of force and material usage you get a very interesting intersection of atmospheres that conveys both lightness and solidity at various moments. That was one of the main intentions.

I wish I could say I've visited anywhere in Rome!

for the record, I'm obviously just a layman shooting from the hip. I do very much appreciate the feeling and overall effect of your design. I love stonework when used in residential interiors as well because its elemental nature.

akademus
03-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Really good!

I absolutely adore overall feeling of these images. It really transfers you there.

Good job!

m0184you
03-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Interesting design. I like it!

Jure
03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Wow nice work Tom. I love the space... The sofa is cool too. Did you model the stone wall clad?

blacksmith
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Awesome. You have some truly inspiring work there. 5 stars

adk
03-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Top notch as always Tom ... big :thumbsup:
Would it be wrong to say that I love the seating the most :) great design you got there.

JeffrySG
04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Kick-a**! Love the seating too! :)

sampei
04-09-2009, 07:52 AM
very original designs...colors and lighting are excellent. Thanks for sharing ^^