PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #28 - Food, glorious food

Oedo 808
03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #28 - Food, glorious food
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Food, glorious food.
Pretty self explanatory, anything from a piece of fruit to a bowl of cereal. The focus need not be solely the food, a knickebocker glory or even a gravy boat (with gravy of course) will be fine.

The world is your oyster! ;)

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 11 March 2200 GMT.

Nangleator
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Hmm. I should be able to sink my teeth into that subject, as long as I don't bite off more than I can chew.

Toby147
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh come on, Nangleator... This will be easy as pie, or taking candy from a baby!! :ohmy:

flakester
03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Gah!

Those cheesy comments up there are like, taking the biscuit or something.

Even made myself whince with that one. Sorry folks!

--
flakester.

JCG
03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Just a simple peasant dish ;)

I couldn't leave this one for the last moment 'cause I'm sure someone else is going to try it soon!

Remy did not seem to add green zucchini, just yellow, but I'm sure it was just because it was not in season. It clearly adds an extra freshness and... well... we shouldn't just follow the recipe, right?

The sauces were modeled as just points in three layers and then had HVs applied during the texturing time. The tabletop was not modeled during the hour but it's just a flat cylinder; I just didn't think about it until after the texturing :P

LOL! I was going to re-post last week's entry but I was afraid someone would take this one too quickly.

PS: Sorry for interrupting the juicy streak of such savory puns. 8/

Edit: Changed the render for one with dome lights instead of distants.

Hopper
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Just a simple peasant dish ;)
MAN!!! When I read "food" this was the FIRST thing I thought of... Didn't everyone? :D

Mark The Great
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
MAN!!! When I read "food" this was the FIRST thing I thought of... Didn't everyone? :D

I read, "Food, glorious food," and thought, "Lovely Spam, wonderful spam!"

flakester
03-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Awesome job there JCG, fab stuff.

My first entry: Chili peppers.

22 mins for modelling, about 2 hours all told trying to get the look of everything right!

Model available as always.

--
flakester.

Nangleator
03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Great texturing! I know a good, ripe pepper can look unreal, like it's made of wax or something. I'd soften the reflection a bit, but otherwise, it's ready for a food magazine.

flakester
03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Cheers Dude. I'm with you on the reflection, I may re-visit the render at some point to dial the reflection and specular back a bit. Might stick a green one in too!

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
03-06-2009, 06:56 PM
About 20 min modeling including the plate and knife.
I`m not sure about the surface on the muffin but I`m done with it.
models avalible if anyone wants them.

flakester
03-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Very nice work there R.Feeney. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

IMI
03-07-2009, 06:33 AM
I wish I'd been keeping up with these challenges, I'm way far behind on what's happened lately.

Excellent peppers, flakester! :thumbsup:

Iain
03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
This is something I've found really difficult in the past so I'm going to try a few things out.
Pixar just made it look too easy.

Great entries so far :thumbsup:

flakester
03-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I wish I'd been keeping up with these challenges, I'm way far behind on what's happened lately.

Excellent peppers, flakester! :thumbsup:
Cheers Dude.

Second one from me: Candy canes.

I was going to do a normal stick of rock, but I thought it might look like a bit of a cop-out.... so I curved the end!

About 35 mins for the modelling; most of which was spent trying to get nice curve on the handle. Roughly 1 hr 15 mins for the rest.

Model and scene available should anyone feel the need.

@Iain: :agree: The rise in modelling, material, texture, lighting and shader quality from Pixar from the time of Nemo to The Incredibles through to Ratatouille is just awesome, I sometimes feel as though they make the real world look a touch bland. It's good to have something to aim for!!

--
flakester.

Iain
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Second one from me: Candy canes.

I was going to do a normal stick of rock, but I thought it might look like a bit of a cop-out.... so I curved the end!

Very nice textures and render!

R.Feeney
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
A second one from me, which bit relates to the subject, well it works both ways.
An hour modeling, The fish took most of that.
It might be hard to tell colour-wise but its meant to be a rainbow trout.

Nice work on the Candy cane and the peppers flakester

flakester
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the props Iain and R.Feeney.

A second one from me, which bit relates to the subject, well it works both ways.
An hour modeling, The fish took most of that.
It might be hard to tell colour-wise but its meant to be a rainbow trout. ~

That image works on many levels for me as well. Very clean, efficient modelling all round, and a pretty sweet render to boot; ace job! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

IMI
03-07-2009, 01:54 PM
That trout looks really good, R.Feeney. :thumbsup:

THREEL
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I've only entered one of these challenges, but when I saw this category, I couldn't resist. I had to go with my favorite food: Lasagna. The noodles, sauce, cheese, plate, and fork took an hour total to model. The table top just serves as a backdrop. Surfacing took quite a bit longer. I'm not completely satisfied with the textures, but they're all procedurals, so I'm not going to complain to much.

tHANX!

AL

THREEL
03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Here are some wires from my lasagna.

AL

PS--I'd like to add some nice, hot steam rolling off the top, but I can't get the particle emitter and hypervoxels to behave quite properly.

THREEL
03-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Here's a new and slightly improved render of my lasagna. I remodeled the plate using more subdivisions and moved the layers of lasagna just a little closer together.

flakester
03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Here's a new and slightly improved render of my lasagna. I remodeled the plate using more subdivisions and moved the layers of lasagna just a little closer together.

The more sub-d'd plate definitely helps. Good choice of foodstuffs there; one of my faves too. Very nice entry. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the props Iain and R.Feeney.

That image works on many levels for me as well. Very clean, efficient modelling all round, and a pretty sweet render to boot; ace job! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

That trout looks really good, R.Feeney. :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys :)

PS--I'd like to add some nice, hot steam rolling off the top, but I can't get the particle emitter and hypervoxels to behave quite properly.
You could try some geometry in the rough volume of the steam you want, then a bit of edge transparency combined with some procedural transparency stretched in y. It could get you close to what you want.

R.Feeney
03-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Three olives are nearly a whole meal :D
About 20 min modeling Latheing the time away. And too much time futzing with the rendering.

RudySchneider
03-08-2009, 04:21 PM
OK, R.Feeney, you just hit below the belt, by rendering an excellent depiction of my favorite cocktail --- a very dry Grey Goose martini. Though, I prefer mine with onions as well as olives. That way, I've got a jump on my salad!

THREEL
03-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Flakester: tHANX for the positive feedback on my lasagna. Very nice work on the peppers and the canes.

R. Feeney: I'm not exactly sure what your talking about with the geometry and edge tranparency, but I'll give it a go with what I think your talking about. I've got another idea with particles I'm going to try, too. Real good job on your entries as well.

THREEL
03-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's a render of the lasagna piping hot. I did go with an HVemitter and a bunch of tweaking. It's not perfect, but I feel I'm getting closer to a good look. I hope to animate the steam over night (4 sec. worth) and see how that looks.

Myagi
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Modeling took the full hour (again you may ask for what, a bunch of basic primitives). The surfacing and rendering was not exactly what I had hoped for, and that was supposed to salvage the simplistic geometry, whoops :D. Especially the sss or whatever I should have used, but I realized many hours would vaporize so I had to stop.

Now that I've provided the whine, may I offer some cheese too :)

edit: and oh yeah, a humble :bowdown: to the other entries

Iain
03-09-2009, 06:41 AM
That's my favourite late night 'meal' Myagi :)

Lovely work R.Feeney as always.

Here's a coconut I did in about 15 minutes.
Tried my damndest to get FFX to work on the shell but gave up :thumbsdow

flakester
03-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Three olives are nearly a whole meal :D
About 20 min modeling Latheing the time away. And too much time futzing with the rendering.
Very nice work there. :thumbsup:

Here's a render of the lasagna piping hot. I did go with an HVemitter and a bunch of tweaking. It's not perfect, but I feel I'm getting closer to a good look. I hope to animate the steam over night (4 sec. worth) and see how that looks.
It is indeed coming on, making good progress. :thumbsup:

Modeling took the full hour (again you may ask for what, a bunch of basic primitives). The surfacing and rendering was not exactly what I had hoped for, and that was supposed to salvage the simplistic geometry, whoops :D. Especially the sss or whatever I should have used, but I realized many hours would vaporize so I had to stop.
Now that I've provided the whine, may I offer some cheese too :) ~
I think you beat yourself up undeservedly for this, it's a darn good entry in my opinion. :thumbsup:

~ Here's a coconut I did in about 15 minutes.
Tried my damndest to get FFX to work on the shell but gave up :thumbsdow
Ace stuff as always Iain, works very well. :thumbsup:

I hope I get time to throw my absolute favourite foodstuff in before the deadline.... a burger. We'll see what happens! :twak:

Great stuff so far all.

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Flakester: tHANX for the positive feedback on my lasagna. Very nice work on the peppers and the canes.

R. Feeney: I'm not exactly sure what your talking about with the geometry and edge tranparency, but I'll give it a go with what I think your talking about. I've got another idea with particles I'm going to try, too. Real good job on your entries as well.

I put together a quick example of what I was talking about.
Its an animated effect.

you can see a viper preview of the effect here (http://www.vimeo.com/3543334)

Hope this helps with what I was talking about :D

THREEL
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I put together a quick example of what I was talking about.
Its an animated effect.

you can see a viper preview of the effect here (http://www.vimeo.com/3543334)

Hope this helps with what I was talking about :D

Richard: I couldn't open your scene. I'm running :lwicon: ver. 8.5.

Also, what was the name of the preview video. I got to Vimeo and couldn't find it.

tHANX!

AL

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
http://vimeo.com/3543334
its just called steam
I attached a longer ziped version of the avi here.

Would the object load, try a render of it if it does. there are not any nodes used so it still might work in 8.5.

THREEL
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Here's a short animation with steam coming off the lasagna.

I used an HVemitter and hypervoxels in sprite mode to create the steam.

THREEL
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
http://vimeo.com/3543334
its just called steam
I attached a longer ziped version of the avi here.

Would the object load, try a render of it if it does. there are not any nodes used so it still might work in 8.5.

It's really strange. When I render it, I just get black. That's the same thing I get for the viper preview and avi file. I wonder what's happening. :stumped:

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70836&stc=1&d=1236621932
That is wierd, can you see anything in this render?
or can anyone else see anything in the avi?

Myagi
03-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I see dead people.. I mean smoke, in the avi and picture.

THREEL
03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70836&stc=1&d=1236621932
That is wierd, can you see anything in this render?
or can anyone else see anything in the avi?

Nothing? :stumped:

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
It seem like it might be a monitor calibration problem, either mine is way too bright or yours way too dark.

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I see dead people.. I mean smoke, in the avi and picture.

Cheers, good to know that i`m not just seeing things:thumbsup:

Myagi
03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
maybe I should have mentioned that I cranked up my monitor brightness to max to see it. I just omitted that detail because I blamed it on being a notorius vibrant-color-fanatic, so my monitor and gamma is a lot darker than most :)

IMI
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Cool entries so far. :thumbsup:

Iain, I hear you on the FiberFX thing. Hell if I can get it to do anything near what I want. The coconut looks good otherwise though.

Just to show I'm actually working on something, my first attempt is a cheeseburger on a plate. Modeling time was 45 minutes, which would seem too long but I used cloth dynamics to make the cheese "melt" over the burger and it took a while to set up and get right. I wanted to make a bunch of sesame seeds for the bun and plop them on it with dynamics, but ran out of time. Well, some people don't like sesame seeds anyway. ;)
I pulled the top bun off to show the cheese better, but it's going to be flipped and partially on top of the burger in the render, which is why I didn't worry about what the underside of it looks like.

Just a screenshot, and I'm planning on doing some fries and maybe a pickle slice or some lettuce, but those will be separate entries I guess, then I'll see what I can do about rendering it all. That's gonna be the hard part....

Hopper
03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Just a screenshot, and I'm planning on doing some fries and maybe a pickle slice or some lettuce, but those will be separate entries I guess, then I'll see what I can do about rendering it all. That's gonna be the hard part....
Well, you have three different food groups there, so you should get three hours right? :D

IMI
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, you have three different food groups there, so you should get three hours right? :D

I don't know, I don't make the rules. ;)

Kuzey
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Here's mine, a whole chicken modeled in 40 minutes :D

Kuzey

IMI
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
mmm...chicken... *drool*

Looks great! :thumbsup:

flakester
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Kuzey

Sweet job there Kuzey! :thumbsup:
I did start a chicken of this sort yesterday, but judging by the mess it was in when I scrapped it after 15 minutes; you've done a better job that I would've! Great stuff.

@IMI: Hope to see that burger scene get finished!

--
flakester.

THREEL
03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
It seem like it might be a monitor calibration problem, either mine is way too bright or yours way too dark.

My monitor is cranked up all the way for brightness and contrast, so I'm sure some of it is on my end. (Sigh) They don't make things like they used too.

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Kuzey
A bit of golden crispy skin and I would be drooling on my keyboard

Looking great so far

My monitor is cranked up all the way for brightness and contrast, so I'm sure some of it is on my end. (Sigh) They don't make things like they used too.

I know what you mean, I have 3 screens here and its damn near impossible to get anything to look exactly the same across any two of them.
Next time I must get them all from the same source

Oedo 808
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Some great entries so far! :thumbsup:

Good to see some talk about the steam, I think talking over stuff is what these challenges should be about. Steam shows up fine for me, R.Feeney, but then again I'm probably burning my eyes out with this monitor.

Here's my effort took me about 45mins, but it was at the fouth time of trying! What dipstick chose this for the challenge? Oh man, and I had such an easy one that I was going to go with too.

Anyway this was one of those sanity sappers, an Ice Cream, didn't notice the excessive highlights in the preview, but I'm still fairly pants at rendering anyway so I'm not too bothered:

A couple of questions if anyone can help, does the Helix tool no longer leave the spline behind?

And is there a way to twist a spline or the geometry you extrude along it?

Cheers chaps.

I'll hold of on making any comments until the end.

Hopper
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Here's mine, a whole chicken modeled in 40 minutes
Damn .. where's that cow primitive when you need it.

Nice work!

I will either have 30 minutes tonight or tomorrow night. I MUST find something to model. I love these challenges and have only done 2 1/2 of them. Maybe a jalapeno... (on a stick).

R.Feeney
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Some great entries so far! :thumbsup:

Good to see some talk about the steam, I think talking over stuff is what these challenges should be about. Steam shows up fine for me, R.Feeney, but then again I'm probably burning my eyes out with this monitor.

I might have to consider spending some money to make sure my renders are looking their best :D
http://www.datacolor.eu/en/products/monitor-calibration/spyder3elite/index.html

I think sharing ideas and methods are the best parts of these threads.

A couple of questions if anyone can help, does the Helix tool no longer leave the spline behind?

The only thing that leaps to mind is magic bevel, it allows twisting and scaling down its length.

You know if I could actualy sleep I would not keep cloging up these threads with so many models. Sorry but I just cant help myself.

The grapes didnt get quite finished, a real lack of stalks in there

Oedo great minds think alike :p

RollerJesus
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
It's my birthday, so I threw this one together in about 30 minutes. Started a nice render with displacement frosting and a paper wrapper but it crashed and I didn't save, so here are some wires.

Nice entries everyone!

Kuzey
03-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks guys,

I think I was in a zone during that session. I didn't want to use the last 20 minutes in case I went overboard and destroyed it :hey:

Here's a basic step by step grab of the process :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-10-2009, 01:45 AM
It's my birthday, so I threw this one together in about 30 minutes. Started a nice render with displacement frosting and a paper wrapper but it crashed and I didn't save, so here are some wires.

Nice entries everyone!

Shame about the crash, sounded like a cool render.

btw.... happy birthday :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Iain
03-10-2009, 07:43 AM
10 minute model: 2 minutes to model the lime, 3 for the bowl and another 5 to clone the other limes.

Just an excuse to fire up Maxwell really :D

flakester
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
10 minute model: 2 minutes to model the lime, 3 for the bowl and another 5 to clone the other limes.

Just an excuse to fire up Maxwell really :D

Now that's pretty sweet! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

@RollerJesus: Happy Birthday Dude, hope you have a goodun!

--
flakester.

IMI
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Amazing render as always, Iain. :thumbsup:

Maxwell, eh? Well that's just not fair. ;)

I've spent so much time trying to get my cheeseburger materials right that I haven't been able to even think about adding anything else to my scene yet. The cheese has been especially problematic.
I know it's not a rendering and surfacing challenge, but... you know. Still working on it though.

RollerJesus
03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Shame about the crash, sounded like a cool render.

btw.... happy birthday :thumbsup:

Kuzey

@RollerJesus: Happy Birthday Dude, hope you have a goodun!

Thanks guys! Hopefully get a chance to take another crack at a decent render later on.

Pat

IMI
03-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Oops, I must have missed that. Happy b-day, RJ, albeit belated :)

Sorry to hear about the crash. You mentioned displacements, and earlier when I was trying to render my above picture I had a crash while messing around with a displacement on my burger bun. In my case I accidentally entered a negative value in the procedural I was editing. LW didn't much like that idea. Fortunately I had it all saved, which I've gotten into the habit of doing every time before making any kind of change I think might cause a problem.
That was actually the first time I had a Layout crash in 9.6 though.

Mark The Great
03-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Sorry to hear about the crash. You mentioned displacements, and earlier when I was trying to render my above picture I had a crash while messing around with a displacement on my burger bun. In my case I accidentally entered a negative value in the procedural I was editing. LW didn't much like that idea. Fortunately I had it all saved, which I've gotten into the habit of doing every time before making any kind of change I think might cause a problem.

Heh, I had my first 9.6 crash working on my microphone last week. Hub's autosave feature saved the day.

flakester
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Amazing render as always, Iain. :thumbsup:

Maxwell, eh? Well that's just not fair. ;)

I've spent so much time trying to get my cheeseburger materials right that I haven't been able to even think about adding anything else to my scene yet. The cheese has been especially problematic.
I know it's not a rendering and surfacing challenge, but... you know. Still working on it though.

Looking good there IMI. I know what you mean about these not being rendering and suracing challenges.... I still try to make my entries look as nice as possible too, it's all about the experience and learning I suppose; I can never know enough about the subjects I like.

Your burger is a very nice entry, I reckon cheese (including the processed variety) is a pretty hard material to get right with the sometimes subtle SSS, which is why I am jealous of Myagi's cheese (never said that before...) earlier in the thread, and also R.Feeney's grapes (definitely never said that before!) a few entries ago. Which I don't think I gave props for.

@R.Feeney: Awesome grapes that man!

--
flakester.

IMI
03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Heh, I had my first 9.6 crash working on my microphone last week. Hub's autosave feature saved the day.

You know, I always forget about that. Just checked and I have nearly a hundred MB's in my lwhub temp folder. Yup, a whole mess of versions of scenes I long ago forgot about. ;)

IMI
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Your burger is a very nice entry, I reckon cheese (including the processed variety) is a pretty hard material to get right with the sometimes subtle SSS, which is why I am jealous of Myagi's cheese (never said that before...) earlier in the thread, and also R.Feeney's grapes (definitely never said that before!) a few entries ago. Which I don't think I gave props for.

@R.Feeney: Awesome grapes that man!

--
flakester.

Thanks, and I agree about Myagi's cheese and the grapes. Excellent stuff there. :)
Quite a while, probably more than a year and a half ago somewhere on this forum I asked about cheese and SSS. It was one of the first things I ever tried with SSS or material nodes and had serious troubles with it. I think I'm going to see if I can find that old scene and give it another shot.

RollerJesus
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks IMI. I had just dumped my cupcake into a generic set and was adjusting the scale on a displacement texture when I got the critical error popup. My object is very small, so it could very well be that I pulled the scale negative.

Iain
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey - happy birthday RJ. It's my Dad's Birthday today and mine on Thursday. All those Summer Holiday conceptions eh? :hey:

I'm loving the SSS effect on the grapes too, Richard. Care to share? :)

Cool burger IMI. It's all too easy to spend hours on what is supposed to be a speed challenge!

art
03-10-2009, 11:21 AM

My extrude+ script should be able to twist a shape along a spline.

@R.Feeney

Those grapes look nice.

@Kuzey

Walk like an chicken, I mean egyptian? :)
Nice modeling.

Myagi
03-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks, and I agree about Myagi's cheese and the grapes. Excellent stuff there. :)
Quite a while, probably more than a year and a half ago somewhere on this forum I asked about cheese and SSS. It was one of the first things I ever tried with SSS or material nodes and had serious troubles with it. I think I'm going to see if I can find that old scene and give it another shot.

I honestly didn't have a clue what I was doing :) I just figured I needed some kind of SSS, tried skind and sss2 and ended up randomly with Sigma2, and I still don't know what sigma2 actually is. And in all cases I failed to get how I thought it should be, brighter with light shining through the thinner parts, instead it ended up darker in those parts.

I did bite off way more than I could chew, I've only once tried global illum and that was a quick unsurfaced render in lw8 two years ago. Now I wanted to surface realistically, get realistic cheese, glass, caustics, DOF and radiosity, all at once... yeah right! ;)

colkai
03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Tried (and failed miserably) to do a beaker of celery as I thought it would be an interesting shape and texture. Alas, too interesting for me to pull off. :p

So da wife says, whut about an egg, you know, I thought, one egg is a oeuf for anyone (groan :D ).
So of course, I did two. ;)

Took me quite a while in the end 'cause I started fiddling with the white and yolk. All told, including eggcup, about 45 mins of tweaking and prodding.

I'd love any ideas of how to get a better egg shell texture.
Here we go though, didn't actually think I'd get time to do it this week either!

IMI
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Colkai, I think your egg shell surface looks pretty good, really.
That is, it looks like an egg that's been taken out of a cold fridge and set out for a few minutes. The condensation builds up and gives that spec like you have there.
Did you take an egg out of your fridge and look at it?
I don't want to go boiling an egg right now, but from memory it seems the surface changes a little after boiling, and the shell dries quickly because it's hot. Also, there would be no condensation on it, so it would have a lower spec, or rather, be less glossy.
So what it looks like to me is a cold egg in an egg holder thingy, (whatever they're called), not a hot, boiled egg.

R.Feeney
03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm loving the SSS effect on the grapes too, Richard. Care to share? :)

Sure, no problem
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70900&stc=1&d=1236735565

It was mostly trial and error to be honest, that and biting open a grape to remind myself what the flesh inside was colored like
You can have the model too if you want it, its unfinished though. no stems or pips :D

Nice work on the limes, any chance of a Key lime pie?

Now I don't have an egg here to check my memory on, I never eat them. Neither does my wife, if fact she really really hates them and the noises she made when she saw your render ware terrible to behold. I would take it as a compliment its the same reaction a real boiled egg produces.
Or nice work man . :P
But I think egg shells are covered with thousands of tiny pockmarks. So your best bet may be to try one of the material nodes that give you controll of the roughness value.

I`m no eggspert though, just a hobbyist sitting here in my nest, hatching plans
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70902&stc=1&d=1236737968
If that is what you are looking for I have attached a model with the surface applied. Feel free to use it for what ever you want.
If not, have an Icecream :D

@RollerJesus - Happy Birthday, hope you got a bigger cake than that :)

IMI
03-11-2009, 02:17 AM

*groan* ;)

Thanks allot for the grapes, very cool! Sigma 1, eh? I don't think I ever messed with Sigma 1 any. Works nicely though.

colkai
03-11-2009, 03:18 AM
I don't have an egg here to check my memory on, I never eat them. Neither does my wife, if fact she really really hates them and the noises she made when she saw your render ware terrible to behold. I would take it as a compliment its the same reaction a real boiled egg produces.
So taken. :p

Thanks, it's closer to what I had in mind, it's frustrating when I can see the texture I want but have no idea how to "translate" it onto my model. If my modelling is iffy, my texture skills suck the biggest load of sucky-suck going. :D

Iain
03-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Here's my 'crack' at eggshell texturing..........

R.Feeney
03-11-2009, 05:57 AM
I think Iain has nailed it

colkai
03-11-2009, 06:01 AM
:( - Darn ya, you really are too effin' good! ;) :D
Sweet Iain, very sweet.

flakester
03-11-2009, 06:16 AM

As sure as eggs is eggs. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Iain
03-11-2009, 06:40 AM

You mean I cracked it. Hehe that's not getting tired at all is it?

And here's what happened. Was going to do egg 'n' chips but I need to go.

colkai
03-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Dang Iain, here was me feeling happy with my re-render till I saw that! :D

Here is said re-render. :) (all procedurals btw).

EDIT: PS - yeah, I know, in reality, the egg wouldn't be below the shell on both parts but I didn't have time to get it how I'd like, proud with drippy yolk. :)

IMI
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Eggzactly!

IMI
03-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey has anyone else noticed the Speed Modeling Challenges Directory Page (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89283) hasn't been updated in quite a while?

RollerJesus
03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Here's my 'crack' at eggshell texturing..........

Who has time to update the sticky when you're shelling out renders like that...

Too much?

IMI
03-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Who has time to update the sticky when you're shelling out renders like that...

Too much?

BeeVee was the one updating the sticky.

Nangleator
03-11-2009, 08:12 AM
You guys crack me up with all your yokes. You just keep egging each other on.

I love all the entrees here. I really like some of the SSS (Seriously Sumptuous Servings) on display. Some really grape work. I wanted to enter, but didn't have the thyme.

colkai
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh dear, oh dear dear, I fear we may have started something. :D :D

RollerJesus
03-11-2009, 11:12 AM
BeeVee was the one updating the sticky.

So BeeVee's the one with egg on his face? :p

Nangleator
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
We could beat him until he's scrambled. It's a whisk he took.

art
03-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I tried to model some pasta on a plate using a technique similar to that ball of rubber bands ghostlight posted some time ago but got entangled and failed miserably.

Nangleator
03-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I thought about a cartoonish 1950's space woman being menaced by a bug-eyed monster, but I'm useless at characters.

I also considered a pineapple. That would be a wild challenge. I don't think an hour would be enough time.

THREEL
03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's a 2nd entry from me. Please, forgive the texturing. I knew I was pressing the deadline, so I just threw some procedurals in very quickly. Maybe I can texture it better later and show a decent render.

BTW--It took me 52 min. to model the pancake head, egg eyes, butter nose, and bacon mouth. The plate may look familiar. It's the same one from my lasagna entry, or is that entree? :D

THREEL
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Here are the wires for the pancake face.

flakester
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Here's a 2nd entry from me. Please, forgive the texturing. I knew I was pressing the deadline, so I just threw some procedurals in very quickly. Maybe I can texture it better later and show a decent render.

BTW--It took me 52 min. to model the pancake head, egg eyes, butter nose, and bacon mouth. The plate may look familiar. It's the same one from my lasagna entry, or is that entree? :D

Ace job Dude! :thumbsup:
That brought a smile to my face!

--
flakester

THREEL
03-11-2009, 01:15 PM
tHANX Flakester!

This has been a cool category, or is that cater-gory, with a lot of cool and hot entries.

Oedo 808
03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Stop it! All these entries are making me hungry! :D

A bit belated, but I'd just like to say...

flakester
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Dang! Well done Oedo, that's way cool.

My last entry for this challenge (comedy timing or what...?!), a cup-cake.

55 mins for modelling, another 40 mins or so spent not getting the render as I wanted it.

Fabulous entries all, well done! :thumbsup:

Hopper
03-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Really cool entries.

No entry from me this week. I'm still at work and have to be here all evening. Maybe when I get home I can squeeze out a hotdog or something quick.

Uhhh.. that didn't sound so good did it ...

flakester
03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Really cool entries.

No entry from me this week. I'm still at work and have to be here all evening. Maybe when I get home I can squeeze out a hotdog or something quick.

Eeewwwww!!
lmfao!! Awesome! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Oedo 808
03-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Dang! Well done Oedo, that's way cool.
Cheers flakester!

Maybe when I get home I can squeeze out a hotdog or something quick.

OMG :eek:

But I agree with flakester, lmfao! ;D

Oh man, so now I have to pick a weiner ;)

This could take some time, I've still got to cook dinner. But I can say, great entries everyone :thumbsup:, I had my misgivings, but it turned out to be a fun challenge.

Iain
03-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Never mind the modelling. And the winner is..........................:D

Maybe when I get home I can squeeze out a hotdog or something quick.

R.Feeney
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Could have been worse it could have been a doughnut :D

THREEL
03-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Could have been worse it could have been a doughnut :D

Or, worse yet, the hole... :eek:

Hopper
03-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh man .. what have I done....

At least I didn't mention chili ... :D

Double Doh! Did I type that out loud!?!!??

THREEL
03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh man .. what have I done....

At least I didn't mention chili ... :D

Double Doh! Did I type that out loud!?!!??

I'm not sure, but let me ask you this: If you type in the forest, and no-one's around, does it make a sound, or... did you even actually type at all?

Oedo 808
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
@JCG I know this is strictly speaking a modelling challenge, but you do gain marks for the stylized render, often a wonky camera angle is just that, but I think that one works. Model has a nice soft feel to it.

@flakester, those peppers bring to mind the boxing glove you did in the "Something's not quite right" challenge, I cannot manipulate polies to give a soft surface appearance. A lovely looking render you have for your second entry, and the model just missed out on the trophy;). And again with your cupcake, I love the tray, I do lack a subtlety in my modelling, and you get a lot from a little in terms of geometry.

@R.Feeney, The muffin entry (is that a euphemism?) is great for 20mins work, and I don't blame you for not working more on the texture, I knew that aspect was going to be a bugger in this challenge. The rainbow trout is very groovy, I can see the effort in that one. and I like the thinking behind the martini. I was thinking about trying some sort of vine fruit like grapes or a tomato plant, the grapes render turned out well, can't really complain with zero-G grapes. Hot damn, I'm still on R.Feeney? Maybe the responding was a bad idea, damn you Myagi! Interesting approach to the ice cream, I hadn't thought about that method.

@THREEL, the second render of the lasagne is pretty cool, but boy did you choose an impossible model to texture. I like it though, I can see a lot of work has gone into it. You're braver than I am with that one. And I love the choice for your second entry, that cheered me up.

@Myagi, you don't need to tell me about "How did something that appears so simple take so long" But you've got yourself a fine render there, a render which is the direct cause of me opening a bottle of port, and thus giving me the will to write all this, though I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Good work.

@Iain, oh no, now Iain, you know how I like my hairy coconuts, I'm terribly disappointed. But a great render as always, even if the coconut does look a touch big for the background. And you won't hear me complain that it's too big very often. Love the render on the limes, the modelling does give flakesters candy canes a run for their money. A shame you didn't get to finish you egg & chips, I would have liked to have seen some rendered chips.

@IMI, Aha very cunning, a cloth dynamics cheeseburger, I keep forgetting about using that to deform a mesh. You did get bonus points for having given me that tip about using DOF, but as I'm assuming that burger is from a fast food joint, you lost points for not modelling the phlegm. Oh and if anyone is eating a takeaway/takeout right now, enjoy :D. Nice work, burger texture turned out well too.

@Kuzey, that's quite impressive, though I reckon that chicken may have 'bat for the others side' before it's demise. I know what you mean about not wanting to overcook it (oh brother), but it would have been cool to see what an extra 50% in modelling time would have brought. Very good.

@Oedo 808, a bloody fantastic model mate, I think it's a travesty that you can't win. You've captured the look of that porcelain dead on. For the cake, I would have liked to have seen some decorative icing.

@RollerJesus, A belated happy birthday! A nice clean model. A bummer about the crash, you've had some pretty good renders in the past, typical for a crash to happen on that day.

@art, thanks! I already used your Bezier Bridge plugin to do the top of the ice cream, it's an excellent plug-in. I used extrude+ for filling on the cake. If there is anyone looking to expand their toolset (which should be everyone) they should check out art's site:

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins.php

I meant to check the other plugins there after finding Bezier Bridge, I've got it bookmarked, it's just finding the time. Great job on your plug-ins. Have you signed up to Core?

@colkai, who said you could model my head? Ok so I'm not that bald, well, at least not around the sides. Shape of the egg is good, again this is actually something that I might struggle with, of course it's not rocket science, but it's a shape that has tripped me up in the past. Funky egg cups too.

@Hopper, you're one sick dude.. keep up the good work.

Ok, so after all that, the winner is... not again! It's R.Feeney and his rainbow trout. Lot's of good entries for a difficult subject, and I was very impressed with Kuzey's chicken. But I do like the fish model, and the hook and the bait along with the kelp made this entry a clear winner to my mind.

Good work guys, and thanks to all those that shared their knowledge.

P.S. Apologies if I missed anyone out, if so blame the port (and Myagi).

art
03-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Oedo, thanks for the plug (pun intended). Yes, I signed to core and I can't wait for it. We'll see what's in it already and what's not. I'm not the fastest/greatest developer but I should be able to write a plugin or two for it. I hope. :)

IMI
03-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Congratulations, R.Feeney for cooking up another weiner! :D

Oedo, I think I enjoyed reading your run-down more than the challenge itself. Good work, man. :)

flakester
03-12-2009, 02:40 AM
~ Oedo, I think I enjoyed reading your run-down more than the challenge itself. Good work, man. :)

:agree:
Awesome write-up!

Congrats R.Feeney, a well deserved win :thumbsup:
Well done all.

--
flakester.

colkai
03-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Well Done RFeeney! :D :D

Iain
03-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Yep that was an obvious winner.

In fact, I'd have called fowl had anyone else won.
[sorry!]

3DeeNut
03-12-2009, 08:11 AM
been out of the loop during my move... (new apartment) I'll try and get in there next week. Never have time for anything these days so we shall see.

Nice job Feeney!

RollerJesus
03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Stop it! All these entries are making me hungry! :D

A bit belated, but I'd just like to say...

Well, I'll be damned. Thanks Oedo! Put a smile on my face that's for sure!

Congrats Feeney, I thought that was the cod from the content cd when i first saw it, unbelievable that's only an hour modeling. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Nice going R.Feeney :thumbsup:

Great work everybody, this was surprisingly a lot of fun.

Kuzey

Myagi
03-12-2009, 09:24 AM
I concur, I swallowed your choice hook line and sinker, Oedo.

You tackled this challenge excellently R.Feeney! Your entries allure me as always.

what!? I didn't start it, someone else threw the first .. egg :D

R.Feeney
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Well thanks you guys
I wasnt fishing for compliments or anything :D

The puns are slowly destroying my will to live

flakester
03-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Well thanks you guys
I wasnt fishing for compliments or anything :D

The puns are slowly destroying my will to live

Well, I reckon this is the best plaice for them. Though, I cod be wrong!

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
03-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Oh God!!
Please kelp me, I`m casting around for a proper response
But I reel-y cant find one

IMI
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I think future challenges ought to have a bad pun subcategory.
Should be a real cakewalk for some of you. ;)

flakester
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I think future challenges ought to have a bad pun subcategory.
Should be a real cakewalk for some of you. ;)

lmao! I reckon I'll be happy to perch on the sidelines for the anecdotal quippery, I don't want to be seen as baiting folk! ;)

Making myself groan now...!!

--
flakester.

Oedo 808
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Oedo, thanks for the plug (pun intended). Yes, I signed to core and I can't wait for it. We'll see what's in it already and what's not. I'm not the fastest/greatest developer but I should be able to write a plugin or two for it. I hope. :)

No problemo, I really like the wide range of options you bring to your plugins. I was curious to know if you'd signed up to Core because I'm still trying to decide what to do, and time is running out. I'd like to see the plugins I favour making their way across and having you signed up is a plus. That sounds really arse-kissy, but there are lots of little ups and downs involved in deciding whether to go with Core, or not.

I'm quite happy to add functionality through plugins, I mean there are too many things that could be added so it would be unreasonable to demand everything come as standard, but my biggest problem with LightWave and what holds me back from joining Core is not what 9x doesn't do, but what it does poorly. I'm not sure why this in particular, maybe it's just because it personifies my fears about what might happen in Core, but the one thing that's really frustrating me with Lightwave at the moment is the Julienne tool, why? Well if you'll excuse me it's because it's f***ing sh1t that's why. I have downloaded and make good use of Mike Green's JulienneRT (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=0186594d), but I don't feel that for a basic operation like Julienne I should have to. I see a lot of talk about other programs and that they have this and that, and personally I really don't care for many options that are mentioned, I would rather the programmer spent their time on other things than say making it easier for me to rig birds.

If I get Core I don't expect much from it, it is a move on to new code for goodness sake, so I don't think anyone should be expecting much from it, especially as it's still in it's beta stage. But what does worry me is that I'm not confident that when NewTek adds tools to Core that they will try to make them as interactive and with as wide a range of features as is reasonable to ask for. I would rather have no Julienne in Core than what we have now in 9x, I fear that what will happen is that it will be put in as a stop gap and end up remaining because it's a box that has been ticked, that's a bit how LightWave feels to me right now.

It comes down to this, if I'm not in by the end of March I'll be out of LightWave for good I reckon, I'll keep hold of what I've got in the form of 9.6, LWCAD, FPrime and Sasquatch, but I'll have to look towards other packages because it would be stupid to invest my time in learning anymore of a Legacy package.

Don't get me wrong, LightWave is still my favourite 3D app, and I find it the easiest to work with, and I can understand it lacking many of the features it does, and can excuse it to some degree because of it's price point, but what I can't excuse is the poor implementation of and lack of maintenance for existing tools, especially when you see the plethora of plugins available and the turnover time that some people in the community manage when others have requested a script to do X,Y or Z.

Don't worry, art. That wasn't a question to you. :) I'm just kinda thinking out loud about Core and trying to make my decision. Ok, so Julienne is not that bad, it does it's job, I think for me it was just the straw that broke tha camel's back and has become the focus of my feeling that in many areas minimal usability is good enough. Guess I'm venting a little as well.

Oedo, I think I enjoyed reading your run-down more than the challenge itself.

What? you're saying my challenge was that bad?

Good work, man. :)

Just kidding of course, thanks man.

Awesome write-up!

Thanks guv.

Well, I'll be damned. Thanks Oedo! Put a smile on my face that's for sure!

Glad to hear it! :)

@R.Feeney

I wanted to avoid giving away the winner so I didn't say much about your model in summing up, but I could have said more with the announcement, let's just say it's a great effort, well done. I hope you keep populating these challenges as you have been doing, I should really get around to joining the challenge group you set up.

The world is your oyster! ;)

I can't believe nobody tried an oyster! well I did, but my brain just clammed up.

Ok ok, I guess these food puns are getting a bit stale now.

Iain
03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Hope I'm not mistaken but I think it was my turn. Sorry I'm late.............
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=850531#post850531