PDA

View Full Version : Filling objects with points

StudioBOZON
03-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi guys,

I'm making an animation of a heart, where the camera will be flaying away from the heart, showing that there are much more hearts around. By the time the camera flyes away, in some point of animation these many hearts apear to be all in a shape of one big heart combined of hundreds of these small hearts.

I made a heart animation till now, ant it's ok. But i don't have any idea on making the points in modeler for the instancing plugin - so i would be able to clone this one heart for all the points in scene. The points would have to be in a shape of heart, like filled volume with same spaces betwean the points - that's my problem... :( i would like to do this in modeler... if it's possible.

Any ideas on this ??
Thanks !!

Nangleator
03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, a method I know will work is to put the heart shape in one layer, use Spray Points in another layer. Then use Jitter Points a lot until you have an appropriate cloud of points inside and around the heart.

Next, have both layers in the foreground. In the Perspective window (or any window with a non-wireframe view) draw a big lasso selection around everything. Then deactivate the layer with the heart. Now, you should have a bunch of points selected, none of which are inside the boundaries of the heart. Hit the delete key.

Repeat this from different angles until all the points falling outside the heart are gone.

kyuzo
03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
An easy way to have points within a polygonal shape is to make your cloud of points, convert them to 1-point polys, and do a boolean intersect with your other geometry.

Derek

Nangleator
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Booleans work with 1-point polys? Oh, yeah. That's the way to do it!

inakito
03-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Can you not just model a hi res heart and then fill all the polygons? Then your points will be in the shape of your heart... and If you use this layer for instancing, you will get it!

Is this what you want?

Thanks!

StudioBOZON
03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks Guys. the problem is to fill the object with points where each point would have the same space around... solved that a bit old fashioned way - made a plane and devoured it several times got, rid of polygons, and left just the points, cloned it few times and deleted the spare points... :) but finaly i got about 850 hearts to animate. that didn't work for me... 52 days of rendering wasn't an option. Rendered one heart and made a 3D crowd animation in after effect. :)

Thanks for Your help !! :)