PDA

View Full Version : High signal to noise ratio in Studio

cyclonepink
03-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Could anyone help me I am relatively new to the tcs and found on a cople of occasions thatwhen using rode shotgun phantom mics they are very noisy through the unit. I have to crank up the audio sliders to get any decent level and the results are not very good to say the least. Am I missing something? Is my unit at fault? Any help appreciated

SBowie
03-05-2009, 11:19 AM
These appear to be low impedance mics ... no luck with the "Mic" impedance setting in the Audio panel's Setup tab? Tried messing with the variable gain option?

ted
03-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sure you covered this too, but make sure you have a good strong signal coming out of the camera.

bob anderson
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I use the phantom power feature in TriCaster all the time without any real noise problem. Do you have a mic pre with 48v, or can the mics be run on battery to test the noise level? I'll take it you've checked the cables, and aren't inducing any 60 cycle from power cables etc.

Bob Anderson

Quiet1onTheSet
04-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I use the phantom power feature in TriCaster all the time without any real noise problem. Bob Anderson

Just a word of caution: I believe plugging and unplugging mics, into and out of an active "Phantom Powered" mic circuit engenders risk of damage to said circuit and/or mics. Bob's solid experience notwithstanding, that's a general principle to be aware of, methinks.

To be on the safe side -- better to have Phantom Power "off", then turned "on" when needed, and only after plugging in the mics.

Before unplugging, it's safer to turn off Phantom power (or shut down TriCaster altogether, I suppose), then after 30 seconds or so, unplug the mics.

Not that this practice is widely put to use by professionals -- 'Om jus' sayin'...
:ohmy:

bob anderson
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Heheheee... It's generally a good idea to leave the phantom OFF all the time unless in use. In the past, running that 48V down the line ran the risk of blowing up expensive non-phantom powered mics that weren't expecting voltage. Modern designs have mitigated this to a large degree, but it's always good form to leave it off until you use it.

Bob Anderson