PDA

View Full Version : Is www.lightwiki.com dead?

Soth
03-05-2009, 02:07 AM
is it?
www.lightwiki.com

cresshead
03-05-2009, 02:18 AM
looks dead here...anyhow lightwki is DEAD...long live CORE wiki!...which NEEDS to be launched!

cagey5
03-05-2009, 03:12 AM
That's a shame as it was a handy resource.

jwiede
03-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Newtek should inquire whether the prior owner would be willing to let Newtek take over the site. It was a nice framework for tutorial materials and tips/info for Lightwave, with wide community recognition, etc. While posting locked threads in the forums for tutorials, etc. works, having a more formally-constructed site containing such materials would be a lot more accessible for new LW users.

Surrealist.
03-05-2009, 03:33 AM
It's back online.

http://www.lightwiki.com/Main_Page

Lightwolf
03-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Hm, it works here.
As for the "previous owner", it's Ben Vost, who's a NT employee and lightwiki is a spare time project.

Cheers
Mike

art
03-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Works for me too. In terms of content the site is good, but it has a potential to be much better.

Lightwolf
03-05-2009, 06:15 AM
In terms of content the site is good, but it has a potential to be much better.
Well, it's a wiki - the potential is us :)

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
03-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Exactly Mike!

art
03-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Well, it's a wiki - the potential is us :)

Cheers,
Mike

That's what I meant, indirectly :)

Lightwolf
03-05-2009, 07:27 AM
That's what I meant, indirectly :)
My sincerest apologies for being so blunt then :D

tsk, tsk, no manners... (me that is)

Cheers,
Mike

art
03-05-2009, 07:41 AM
No need for apologies on your part. I did not mean to imply that Ben Vost was (Edit: was not) doing a good job either, but I guess it sounded like I did.
:beerchug:

kopperdrake
03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I did not mean to imply that Ben Vost was doing a good job either, but I guess it sounded like I did.

I'm guessing that didn't quite turn out the way you meant either ;)

art
03-05-2009, 08:00 AM
:o
I'm guessing that didn't quite turn out the way you meant either ;)

uhm, yeah.. well, no more words from me today.:o

Matt
03-05-2009, 11:36 AM
The same goes for Preset Central, the uptake has not been as busy as we hoped, lots of people leeching, not as many sharing.

Maybe there just isn't that many LightWavers out there, or ones prepared to share their time?

Paul Brunson
03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
In regards to preset central, one I'm waiting for the cool little preset app and two I must admit I don't create that many amazing surfaces worth sharing. So I have yet to up anything.

BeeVee
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey all,

I was shocked to see this thread and immediately checked the site was working! :D As Mike says, LightWiki is what folk make it - I can only get so many articles on there. Oh and Art? Banned! ;) (just kidding!)

B

IMI
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
The same goes for Preset Central, the uptake has not been as busy as we hoped, lots of people leeching, not as many sharing.

Maybe there just isn't that many LightWavers out there, or ones prepared to share their time?

Depends on what standard you hold the sharing of time up against.
Something such as Preset Central is more than likely going to be almost entirely more attractive to n00bs wanting to get ahold of something they can use immediately, while it stands to reason that allot of people who know how to make such presets may not even be aware of the place, considering they're not likely to seek out resources for that which they already know how to do.

And does one limit the value of "sharing their time" to how much they have physically provided? What about the millions of bytes of useful information shared every hour in the form of answers and suggestions in all the various forums? I can ask a question about how to make a path for a camera or something else to follow and get a real, real good explanation from a genuine pro on how to do it, which, IMO, is worth far far more than an upload of an example. And I'd like to think that if I answer a question and help someone, that too is every bit as valuable as if I uploaded something. Indeed, it's more "personal", if you will.

Not to disparage lightwiki or preset central, not at all! But rather, help comes in many forms. Some people learn better by, as you say, "leeching", while some learn better by doing. Some contribute by example, some contribute through explanation after a direct question has been asked.

And allot of these answers come from people who are themselves very busy, very accomplished professionals taking their time to hang around and offer the benefit of their experience... for free, no less. It hardly seems fair to suggest many of them are not "prepared to share their time" just because they might not publish information or files where you *want* them to.

Advertising is the key!
People don't just inherently or telepathically know about something. You gotta push it, sell it, make it the best thing ever, the place to be, the thing to do! The must-have-must-be-a-part-of-Really Big Thing!

:)

Silkrooster
03-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Advertising is the key!
People don't just inherently or telepathically know about something. You gotta push it, sell it, make it the best thing ever, the place to be, the thing to do! The must-have-must-be-a-part-of-Really Big Thing!

Thats very hard to do. Especially if finances aren't there. Push too hard and it becomes spamming. Finding that balance can be difficult. Right now both my forum and wiki are pretty much dead.

IMI
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Thats very hard to do. Especially if finances aren't there. Push too hard and it becomes spamming. Finding that balance can be difficult. Right now both my forum and wiki are pretty much dead.

Well I understand that.
I was just responding to what appeared to be blaming the community for being selfish. Basically I was saying promote it more or live with it as-is, but don't manufacture an external cause when your endeavors don't work out as you would like.

jasonwestmas
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Lightwave is far from Dead gents, you know that. :D

adamredwoods
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
regarding Preset central:
It's not "super" easy to share presets, so that will slow down the adoption rate a little. I think you have to create your own thumbnail preview. takes time and too many are lazy, but have good intentions.

Also, I'd love to share FiberFX presets, but I hear they rely too much on geometry.

BeeVee
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Speaking for myself, LightWiki is a personal passion, but also a potential source of conflict. I don't in any way want to use my position at NewTek to make the site seem like an official resource, it's not. Also, I don't want to push it down other people's throats (it's not even in my sig here). I do like the fact that because I am on this forum every single day if I spot a thread with a cool bit of advice I can ask the author if they will put it onto the wiki (or allow me to copy and paste it). Other than that, the only promotion for the site comes from the kind users who have posted and have included it in their forum sigs. Would I like it to be more popular? Heck yes. Would I like it to be as well-known a resource for people as Flay? Dang straight. Am I willing to be a shill to get that. Nope.

B

IMI
03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
regarding Preset central:
It's not "super" easy to share presets, so that will slow down the adoption rate a little. I think you have to create your own thumbnail preview. takes time and too many are lazy, but have good intentions.

Also, I'd love to share FiberFX presets, but I hear they rely too much on geometry.

Well you could say almost the same for surface and hypervoxel and volumetric presets. They all rely heavily on other things going on in your scene.
Some of the more basic surface presets won't be affected too badly, but for one, they're easy enough to make, even for beginners who take a few minutes to read the docs or check out a tutorial or two. For another, the more advanced presets, such as material nodes and sss and gradients can have *everything* to do with your object's size, position, relative position from the origin, camera, or whatever. So a preset that looks great in the preview may very well look terrible on your object, especially when it was designed around a whole different set of objects and scene conditions.
So realistically, it would be better for people to upload entire scenes, including objects and any textures if they want to share something really useful. I don't find any of the presets included with LW particularly useful and I can't say I ever used any of them. They might be good as example files, but it seems some of them actually have created more questions than have provided answers or a usable solution.

IMI
03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Speaking for myself, LightWiki is a personal passion, but also a potential source of conflict. I don't in any way want to use my position at NewTek to make the site seem like an official resource, it's not. Also, I don't want to push it down other people's throats (it's not even in my sig here). I do like the fact that because I am on this forum every single day if I spot a thread with a cool bit of advice I can ask the author if they will put it onto the wiki (or allow me to copy and paste it). Other than that, the only promotion for the site comes from the kind users who have posted and have included it in their forum sigs. Would I like it to be more popular? Heck yes. Would I like it to be as well-known a resource for people as Flay? Dang straight. Am I willing to be a shill to get that. Nope.

B

I just want to say I don't want you to think I was referring to Lightwiki at all, that my comments were directed entirely towards what Matt said about preset central.
I've learned a good deal from Lightwiki in the past and it's a very cool thing you're doing.
Unfortunately it seems it was always down or very slow most of the times in the past I tried to access it, so it just kinda became less important over time.

BeeVee
03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Understood, which is why I shall ever be indebted to Ben Haines for hosting the site on his server (don't go with Powweb!)

B