PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lightwave

aloysius1001
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Has anyone else had issues w/the expressions in "Inside LW7." I can't seem to get the cycler to work correctly(or at all actually). I'm starting to think Dan Ablan does not know what he is talking about when it comes to expressions. This isn't the first expression problem I've had following along in this book. I'm generally good at following directions, so I'm certain I'm doing exactly what he says.

kosmodave
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Have you tried contacting Dan regarding the issues that you are having? He has his own forum at 3d Garage and is usually quite helpful. I have not looked at inside 7 but errors can creep in when these things go to print.
Dave.

Giacomo99
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Just FYI: those "Inside Lightwave" books are FULL of errors—for example, the "kitchen sink" flowing water particle tutorial in "Inside Lightwave 8," which doesn't work at all with the geometry supplied (I modeled a new sink of similar dimensions and it got it to work OK.), or the "spline modeling a human head" one where the supplied backdrops don't align with each other. In certain other areas—weight mapping a human figure for deformation, for example—Ablan's explanations are just so inept as to be almost misleading.

Unfortunately, in many cases Ablan's books are the only available material on a topic. My best advice is to take everything he's written with a grain of salt (and if possible, post your problem on these forums so people can help you through the gaps.)

SplineGod
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I would also point out that there are tons of DVDs on the KURV site that deal with most of many of these topics AND come with support. :)

Andrewstopheles
03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I thought I'd throw in my opinions:

Dan's tutorials are great. I have learned a great deal from him.

My copy of Inside Lightwave v9 didn't have any errors that I could find. The supplied models and videos worked perfect for me.

PointC
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Dan's tutorials are great. I have learned a great deal from him.

My copy of Inside Lightwave v9 didn't have any errors that I could find. The supplied models and videos worked perfect for me.

:agree: