PDA

View Full Version : render front poly outlines plug-in

boolewan
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is a plug-in that will allow me to render just the front facing polygon outlines? The "render outlines" feature integral to LW renders all poly outlines, front and back. Thanks.

Sensei
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Plug-in won't be needed. Just open Node Editor, add Spot Info, connect Polygon Side to Math > Scalar > Invert, and then to Transparency channel. I have tried it with LW v9.6, and back polygons outlines are gone.

boolewan
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
This works well for culling the back poly lines, but it also eliminates the visible edge lines. I need those.
Thanks

Sensei
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
This works well for culling the back poly lines, but it also eliminates the visible edge lines. I need those.

If it eliminates either back and front edge lines, you have completely black rendered image?

Maybe show screen-shot.. At least there will be no misunderstandings..

Here is mine test:

boolewan
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Sensei, Here is a screenshot. I am working in 9.3.1 if it makes any difference.

Sensei
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I have tried the same object as you have, and too got missing some edges. But they started rendering after switching Render Globals > RayTrace checkmarks. Then I changed Perspective Camera to Classic Camera, and it also helped..

If you want to have solid colors, use Luminosity 100%, and Diffuse 0%, and set color to white.

boolewan
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Sensei, I am making progress here. I did get some strange color artifacts that appear to relate to the hidden poly lines. These changed with the anti-alias settings. Do you have any idea what is happening here? Please see attached.

Sensei
03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Did you try my idea with Classic Camera? For my case it helped entirely..

red lines- I would check whether you have multiple surfaces and one of them is colored red.. Otherwise I don't have clue.. Attach scene and object, for checking, if you need more help..

boolewan
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
The color artifacts were eliminated when i turned off all lights. Obviously don't need lights for this effect. Thanks so much: :D

art
03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I did this without nodes or transparency. I started layout, loaded test object, on the edges tab I selected silhouette and sharp creases. I selected white as the edge color. I turned off the lights and added some AA.
It worked in LW9.3.1 using both classic and perspective cameras.
I remember using other edges option for this but it does not seem to do anything in 9.3.1