PDA

View Full Version : Brick / stone wall

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Hi. I am trying to find or create a brick or stone wall to put a logo onto in Layout.
Anyone know a quick tutorial on creating this or is there any 3d clip art type stuff out there?
See attached for an example.

Sarford
03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
find a picture of this kind of wall, frontal photographed under overcast skies. Change it to grayscale in photoshop, make it seamless, low-pass filter and maybe some fancy brushwork to bring out some more depth. Also create one image with a high-pass filter.

Slap it on a subdivided box as a displacement map. Use the high-pass image as a bump, and the color picture in the diffuse chanel. Presto.

JeffrySG
03-04-2009, 07:24 AM
CGTextures has hundreds of free brick textures too...

http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=1

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Hi Sarford. Sorry for my ignorance. Could you clarify what you mean by seamless?

For the high and low pass filter; what settings in Photoshop should I be thinking? And where is the Low Pass filter found in PS CS3?

Thanks

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the link. Great images? Could someone tell me why there are two images available? Would these be considered the high pass image and the low pass image that CD Textures is supplying?
Thanks

Sarford
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
seamless means tile-able. Luxology has a utility which can do that, but I don't know how it works or if its any good.

The highpass filter is under the other options in the filter menu, a low pass filter is actualy a blurr filter.

Here is an image with the highpass filter used on the texture on the left. It is to bring out the small detail which won't be seen anyhow in displacement, but gives nice detail in bump.

edit: There is some texture seller who emphesises on stones and wood, very high quality stuff, all seamless, but I forgot who it is. Maybe one of the archviz guys around here could tell you.

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks buddy for the help. See the attached.
Any advice / criticism is greatly accepted. Any way of making the gold letters "Nordan Group: more glossy metal looking?

Sarford
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
If you want metal letters, give them something to reflect. A reflection map works wonders in this case, the gold-reflection in the content folder would be sufficient I think.

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Sarford. Sorry again for my ignorance as I am still in the early stages of the Lightwave digestion.
Where and how do I apply a reflection map?

Thanks again for all your help. If you were he with me I would take you out for a Beer!

Sarford
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
No worries Stephen :)

A reflection map is just an image. You can add a reflection map in LW by going to enviroment tab in the surface panel. Set the Reflection Options to spherical map and the Reflection Map to your image.

You don't even have to set Raytrace Reflections in the Render Options panel to have the reflections map working.

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Hmm. I tried that with no success.
.I created an image in Photoshop for the reflection, because I can't find the Gold Reflection file you were mentioning in the content folder.
Attached are screen grabs of my setting.

mattclary
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Hmm. I tried that with no success.
.I created an image in Photoshop for the reflection, because I can't find the Gold Reflection file you were mentioning in the content folder.
Attached are screen grabs of my setting.

My guess is it is a scaling issue. It is probably working but the image scale is too big or too small to see. Just a guess.

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I tried "Automatic Sizing", but no luck.

Stephen0523
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I tried some of the presets, but still not getting that shiny metal look. See attached.
Also I tried the Gold Ray Trace preset and get the error that the Gold Trace.png file cannot be found.
Anyone have any ideas?