PDA

View Full Version : MakeHuman - new release + video

biliousfrog
03-04-2009, 03:15 AM
MakeHuman has been updated to 1.0 pre alpha and is available here: http://www.makehuman.org/blog/index.php

There is also a demonstration of the new features available on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tVYTAml1M

For those that haven't used the application before, it's a great program for creating anatomically correct humans with nice topology that can be exported as OBJ for use in your chosen app...great for base meshes for further sculpting.

I began helping with the current version, doing some of the various ethnic variations, but couldn't commit because Lightwave's OBJ export was so badly broken during 9.5 it wouldn't preserve the point order :rolleyes: ...then I got really busy

Anyway, it looks like they've done a great job, I can't wait to try it out.

Nemoid
03-04-2009, 05:39 AM
are the Make human meshes optimized for animation as polyflow and more? If I remember correctly, yes, but maybe its worth asking...

kopperdrake
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Crikey! Nice for free - do they plan on keeping it free?

calilifestyle
03-04-2009, 08:23 AM

probably. Then again you never know. i been using Celtx for some time and now that is at version 2.0 there going to start charging 50$. i didn't read what their charging for, there website has been very slow.

IMI
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
That interface is really bizarre. You can tell these people are into Blender. ;)
And you used to be able to maximize it, but the maximize button doesn't do anything and you can't drag the corners out. Probably not a huge thing to some people, but it's really teeny on a 24" monitor. I liked the old interface alot better.

In any event, they make great starting meshes and they're UV mapped already. I've used MH figures alot to practice all sorts of things in ZBrush and LW, and it's worth a download if for no reason other than to get at some good OBJ files to mess around with. Great for those of us still studying how to assemble a decent figure mesh and a nice starting point for learning optimization.

The stuff in the video looks pretty cool and reading their page, their upcoming plans seem worth watching out for.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

RollerJesus
03-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Works beautifully with 3dCoat as well.

littlewaves
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
you used to be able to maximize it, but the maximize button doesn't do anything and you can't drag the corners out.

what version are you using? have you compiled the new alpha release of 1.0 or are you using the current release of 0.9.1RC1?

maximize button and dragging corners work fine for me..

littlewaves
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
one thing that occurred to me is that with LW Core and MakeHuman both being python based maybe it would be possible to write a script to integrate MH directly into Lightwave and make use of the nice (ish) joint deformations that Makehuman has when you pose the figure.

IMI
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
what version are you using? have you compiled the new alpha release of 1.0 or are you using the current release of 0.9.1RC1?

maximize button and dragging corners work fine for me..

I installed the 1.0 pre-alpha linked to above. Just tried it again, and nope... can't maximize it in any way shape or form.
I also have the 0.9.1RC1 installed from before, and that maximizes completely, no problems.
Maybe it's something to do with Vista 64 bit and the new version. No idea, but it is what it is.

littlewaves
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM
well pre-alpha releases are bound to have a glitch or two. I'm sure they'll fix all these things as they go along.

there's a release roadmap here
http://makehuman.wiki.sourceforge.net/Release_RoadMap

The completed version isn't due until October by which times they're hopefully going to have options for basic hair and clothes as well as a low poly export option.

Could be very useful for quickly creating a variety of background characters for animations or arch-vis stuff I guess

Dodgy
03-07-2009, 05:47 PM
When I run it, none of the buttons seem to do anything. I can rotate/move/zoom the figure fine, but can't do anything else. Anyone else have this problem?

IMI
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
When I run it, none of the buttons seem to do anything. I can rotate/move/zoom the figure fine, but can't do anything else. Anyone else have this problem?

Absolutely.
I had forgotten all about it until just now when I saw your reply, but yeah, the buttons do nothing. And the command prompt window that opens is just filled with error messages.
I made a figure morph some by clicking on that map thing, but it wasn't anything like any kind of control, just seemed random.
It *is* just a pre-alpha though.

"Pre-alpha". What is that, anyway? That's like, straight out of the compiler and into your hard drive. ;)

Dodgy
03-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured that a pre alpha available to the community would at least allow you to do more than view a figure :)

Philbert
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Sweet!, I've been waiting for this release. I've been an MH user for a long time.

Well it's open source, so I would assume so.

cresshead
03-08-2009, 01:30 AM
looks a great app, will have a play with it and throw some stuff into zbrush if they're all quads for some sculpting

0.9 exe version is currupt

zip version..got that now waiting about an hour for 'vista';D to extract it at 32kbs!....EFF-in vista is soooo crap at extracting zips!

Philbert
03-08-2009, 01:41 AM
So I just opened it up. The old version was a little strange and hard to understand, but this is really strange and hard to understand. It seems most of the buttons don't do anything anyway for now. There's a DOS window open the whole time and when I click on most buttons it just says something about loading [buttonname].png, then nothing else happens.

cresshead
03-08-2009, 01:47 AM
So I just opened it up. The old version was a little strange and hard to understand, but this is really strange and hard to understand. It seems most of the buttons don't do anything anyway for now. There's a DOS window open the whole time and when I click on most buttons it just says something about loading [buttonname].png, then nothing else happens.

don't bother with 1.0 use the other version

cresshead
03-08-2009, 01:58 AM
version 1 suks....doesn't work and the 0.9 is corrupted exe....ho hum!
waste of time!

re downloading 0.9...see if the whole exe comes in this time....

okay working now...
body and head has a load of tri's in it...so not very zbrush friendly..so will use as a background object in zbrush to make a quad sculpt over the top with retop or a new zpshere mesh

archijam
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured that a pre alpha available to the community would at least allow you to do more than view a figure :)

Dodgy, you really need to lower your expectations, you'll enjoy life more .. ;)

OnlineRender
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
superb , DOWNLOADED ! nice work

geothefaust
03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Much like others have already stated, but to reiterate, v1 sucks HORRIBLY. The buttons don't work, you can't do anything really useful with it, the window wont maximize, etc..

I downloaded and installed .9.1 or whatever it is, and that one is at least workable. The interface is still wonky as hell (worse in v1), but at least it works.

In it's defense, it is an alpha version, but really they should have waited until it worked even half-way to release a build. DOH.

littlewaves
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
okay look guys, read all the stuff they've written about this download.

It's a technology preview. They've been quite upfront about the fact that it's nowhere near a functioning application. Their fast start guide has in big red letters that the buttons aren't working.

read the roadmap that is linked to on the main page.

this is serious work in progress. It'll be months before they're even in beta.

They're just sharing where they're at with people who want to follow their progress.

but hey, if you're still pissed off ask for your money back....

Dodgy
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
What technology does it preview though? The ability to rotate and zoom a figure? It really doesn't make any sense to me to have a release pre alpha which doesn't have anything working.

geothefaust
03-09-2009, 01:55 AM
What technology does it preview though? The ability to rotate and zoom a figure? It really doesn't make any sense to me to have a release pre alpha which doesn't have anything working.

'Nuff said. :agree:

IMI
03-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Looking over the You Tube video of it again it looks as though the extent of its new features is just in a few ethnicity morphs, with the intent of adding more in the future.
Odd though that they wouldn't just add that to the previously existing version which at least did something, and instead make available a version that does essentially nothing.
The You Tube video is actually more functionable.

"Functionable"? *shrug* :D

littlewaves
03-09-2009, 03:36 AM

Well yeah I can't say you don't have a point there.

I've been following their blog for a while though and it seems the thing they're focusing on most is this ethnic database thing whereby you can dial in different amounts of different ethnic subgroups and vary by age gender etc.

They're going for a hell of a lot of variety and as such have undertaken quite a daunting task. They've only finished Africa so far but within that they've been quite detailed and done several different groups.

I think as they post newer versions down the line and more groups get added it will be more interesting. Also the old pose engine in 9.1 wasn't perfect but it was quite good in terms of getting reasonable deformations. They're supposedly re-writing this whole thing from scratch (which is why pose controls are currently defunct so I'm hoping for something quite impressive here.

I can't help thinking they may be focusing in the wrong areas though.

The ethnic database is all well and good but it's not as if that would b the be all and end all of human design. Two brothers have the same ethnic mix and yet can look very different.

I think most people who use Makehuman have done so to get a quick obj rather than starting from scratch.

They might have been better adding some simple hair and clothes features (both of which are on their roadmap but a long way down).

Having said which I think if they stick with it then maybe in about a years time we could be looking at a really good bit of freeware

biliousfrog
03-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Out of interest, how many of the people complaining about the pre-alpha not working and releasing a press release about a product that isn't yet fully developed have signed up for CORE? :p

It's a shame that it isn't working but I suspect that the previous version is still available (0.9.1 RC1). Download that and have a play. It's a bit clunky but I like it for quick human generation which I can use for further tweaking.

cresshead
03-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Out of interest, how many of the people complaining about the pre-alpha not working and releasing a press release about a product that isn't yet fully developed have signed up for CORE? :p

i'm one of 'em!:D

archijam
03-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Mike! Expectations! Lower!

Remember the wonder the first time you successfully rotated your ship while docking with a space station, playing ELITE on the Commodore 64?

This is not that experience.

I had to look no further on their site than:

OSX: ...

To realise they're probably not production ready ;)

NTICED
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
We've used the previous release of Makehuman as the basis for a few characters now and it produces very nice meshes to work with. IIRC, the band of points around the neck area is equal to the band of points around the neck of a Facegen head model, so with a bit of math and trickiness.... ;-)

wsantiago
03-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Be careful what you say, you might invoke the wrath of the blindly devoted cheerleaders that seem to dictate what can and cannot be express in this forums.