PDA

View Full Version : Of real interest to UK F1 fans

Qexit
03-03-2009, 06:18 PM
On the letters page of the new issue of the Radio Times, and in response to a reader's query, the Radio Times state that they can confirm that when F1 returns to the Beeb in a few weeks it will be using their special version of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' as its theme tune, and that it will be the unaltered original at that, not a remixed version or anything :thumbsup::dance::beerchug:

Of course, if you aren't a UK based Formula 1 fan, then this little piece of earth-shatteringly significant news will be about as interesting as the average party political broadcast :D

OnlineRender
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Murray Walkers back aswell Legend . yeeeeeee racing with no adverts just the way it should be , kinda makes my tv lecience worth the money ,hmmm then again Eastenders !

OnlineRender
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
omg come on! people there must be more info about F1 than this..........................
i ride an R1 and i have more people watchin me fall off than people respond to this post r................

toby
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I like F1, but I just can't get excited about fleetwood mac =/

R1 as in yamaha? Longtime gsxr rider here, trying out a ducati now.

Hopper
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I was doing SCCA Autocross and Open Wheel road courses a few years back. It got too expensive to tote my car around all over the place. It's now sitting quietly in the garage .. patiently waiting for me to get off my a.ss and do something with it.

A brand new race track (road course) just opened up a few miles from my house last October. I've really been hoping to go out sometime and give my Z some exercise. It hasn't been out of the garage since 2006. :cry:

Qexit
03-05-2009, 01:47 AM
I like F1, but I just can't get excited about fleetwood mac =/Not to worry Toby, nobody expects you to get excited about Fleetwood Mac. The important part is the very specific piece of music used for the opening and closing credits for Formula 1 coverage. Back when the BBC originally provided the televised coverage here in the UK, they commissioned a special extended version of the instrumental section of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain'. So no vocals, just the single best fitting TV sports theme tune I've ever heard. It's 12 years since the BBC last covered F1 but even now just hearing the opening chords/notes of that theme tune gets the adrenalin going (which is more than can be said for some of the actual Grands Prix :D). See what you think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_7300000/newsid_7306600/7306660.stm

Of course it does work better overlayed on a suitable piece of video footage...but just hearing this brings back some great memories :thumbsup:

Lewis
03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi !

I'm big F1 fan and i really like sound of that music, I can imagine McLaren F1 car passing near camera at the end :) :D.

cresshead
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
ITV did a great job of broadcasting the F1 races live via the internet, so i'm hoping that the bbc do not drop the ball on this and only limit it to 'television'

also the presenters on ITV were excellent and i here that martin brundle will be moving over to commentry duties on the bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7755219.stm

toby
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Not to worry Toby, nobody expects you to get excited about Fleetwood Mac. The important part is the very specific piece of music used for the opening and closing credits for Formula 1 coverage. Back when the BBC originally provided the televised coverage here in the UK, they commissioned a special extended version of the instrumental section of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain'. So no vocals, just the single best fitting TV sports theme tune I've ever heard. It's 12 years since the BBC last covered F1 but even now just hearing the opening chords/notes of that theme tune gets the adrenalin going (which is more than can be said for some of the actual Grands Prix :D). See what you think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_7300000/newsid_7306600/7306660.stm

Of course it does work better overlayed on a suitable piece of video footage...but just hearing this brings back some great memories :thumbsup:
Errr, um, yea... I heard my dad listening to that song when I was in diapers (nappies?), sorry :D

But I know what you mean! Don't worry, I know that music is the most subjective thing there is. And there's *way* more boring music from the 70's than fleetwood mac, I'm no hater.

Qexit
03-05-2009, 02:36 AM
ITV did a great job of broadcasting the F1 races live via the internet, so i'm hoping that the bbc do not drop the ball on this and only limit it to 'television'The main complaint with ITV's coverage of F1 was always the 6 or 7 commercial breaks during the race which came at a variety of crucial moments over the years that they held the contract. These included: the driver title being won during one break, cutting to commercial just as the leading driver rounded the final bend at the US Grand Prix so we didn't get to see him cross the line and take the chequered flag to win the race live (ITV recently repeated this stunt for a live football match where lots of viewers were unable to see the winning goal scored in injury time as some regions had cut to a commercial break !).

I doubt the BBC will get everything right straight away. ITV certainly didn't. Pretty much every change they introduced had to be wrung out of them. I seem to remember reports of Bernie Eccleston threatening to take the contract off them on more than one occasion in the past when they didn't include coverage they were contractually obliged to show. I think that is why they started to provide internet coverage as this allowed them to show things like Friday practice without taking off any regular commercially lucrative daytime TV shows.

also the presenters on ITV were excellent and i here that martin brundle will be moving over to commentry duties on the bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7755219.stmHe was certainly their best commentator. I wonder if they will continue his 'Grid Walks' as they were often quite entertaining :D

toby
03-05-2009, 02:52 AM
The main complaint with ITV's coverage of F1 was always the 6 or 7 commercial breaks during the race which came at a variety of crucial moments over the years that they held the contract. These included: the driver title being won during one break, cutting to commercial just as the leading driver rounded the final bend at the US Grand Prix so we didn't get to see him cross the line and take the chequered flag to win the race live (ITV recently repeated this stunt for a live football match where lots of viewers were unable to see the winning goal scored in injury time as some regions had cut to a commercial break !).
oh my GOD. I'm glad I never saw anything like that, it could get very, very expensive. But at least I'd have the latest tv all the time... do they interrupt agatha christie movie endings as well??

mav3rick
03-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi !

I'm big F1 fan and i really like sound of that music, I can imagine McLaren F1 car passing near camera at the end :) :D.

let's go to hungaroring this year ?

Lewis
03-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Hungaro-Ring is dull and boring lane :(. I'll maybe go to Monza this year (if everything works well :))

OnlineRender
03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I like F1, but I just can't get excited about fleetwood mac =/

R1 as in yamaha? Longtime gsxr rider here, trying out a ducati now.

Ducati ? nice , R1 for the track and CBR 600 for the road .. low sided at the hairpin the other week my *** still hurts ..... need new fern gutted , dont think i heated my tires up enough , first hard corner went weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have footage ull upload to youtube for u :)

toby
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Ducati ? nice , R1 for the track and CBR 600 for the road .. low sided at the hairpin the other week my *** still hurts ..... need new fern gutted , dont think i heated my tires up enough , first hard corner went weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have footage ull upload to youtube for u :)
Yes a 996. With ducs being slower 1 - 1 with rice rockets, I wasn't going to bother with a standard duc, what's the point? So far still not as fun anyway. On a good day it can just match a gsxr. Classier I guess.

No wonder you low-sided, you've got your bikes backwards. 600's not a safe on the street either, throttle-junkie! You need a 1000 to get away from the box-jockeys

toby
03-05-2009, 07:49 PM
And Honda comes back to F1 (that was fast)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7927488.stm

OnlineRender
03-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Yes a 996. With ducs being slower 1 - 1 with rice rockets, I wasn't going to bother with a standard duc, what's the point? So far still not as fun anyway. On a good day it can just match a gsxr. Classier I guess.

No wonder you low-sided, you've got your bikes backwards. 600's not a safe on the street either, throttle-junkie! You need a 1000 to get away from the box-jockeys

LoL the wifes gets that worried feeling everytime i put on my leathers on, CBR handles the road fine "sometimes" , blew away an EVO the other day just for the fun of it , must admit though the car put up a good fight , untill i kicked it up a gear and then went bibi . love racing boy racers that think they can challenge a bike ...idiots

thinking of gettin rid of the R1 dont get enough time to race at the track anymore ,plus the cost are to high and im too busy trying to meet deadlines and client demands for work.

ride safe my friend .........

Qexit
03-06-2009, 04:27 AM
ITV did a great job of broadcasting the F1 races live via the internet, so i'm hoping that the bbc do not drop the ball on this and only limit it to 'television'Looks like you wont have to worry about the online coverage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm

Sounds like they've added a few extra twists too :thumbsup: