PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Video Tutorial

Eagle66
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey,
i am complete new to LW but i know many other 3D Software. Is there any LW-Beginner Tutorial how the important shortcuts and Mouse works?

The MODELER - GENERAL Video starts with Grid Square Size and Introduction to the Text tool, but there is nothing how you select an Object 1 and Object 2, move an Zoom, etc.

In the first videos the instructor fly around with mouse and shortcuts but there is no video who describe this LW Workspace general. I also found no other videos in the web which describe this.

Sorry, i can't follow this videos, because this primitives are complete different to other 3D-Software such as C4D for example.

Create two Boxes, select one, deselected this, rotate, move, delete, zoom in, etc. - i have never such problems to start.

5 Minutes how to use the Workspace and Mouse will be nice.

Thanks

Silkrooster
03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Maybe this will help...

probiner
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I can't find these Flash presentations anymore in NT website, so here its goes...

They are from 7.5, so you will notice differences, but the basics are the same. It's still the first thing i give in college for stand alone starting students. It's well done, fast and wide range. Start with Modeler ones.
Good luck.

toby
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Some things you need to know :

There is no 'object' mode in modeler, you're always in a geometry editing mode. Object mode would be what you want to be in Layout for. Because of this, there is no explicit selection of objects, only the geometry of the objects. To do this, select a point or polygon, press ']' (close bracket) which selects all connected geometry, then press 't' for the move tool. If you want to position 2 objects relative to each other, like a bed and a room, they should go on separate layers, and remain at origin (but resting on ground for grounded-type objects). Move them into place in Layout.

Deselecting is done by clicking on blank space in the viewport borders, like just below the lowest button the left menu.

To create a primitive, select it's tool and draw in the viewport, or press 'n' which will create the default shape. When you see the cyan controls on the geo, that means you can edit the shapes' parameters. Pressing the spacebar drops the tool and then you can only edit the shape by it's points or polys.

Keep these windows open while you work:
Stats (press 'w')
Numeric (press 'n')
Layers (cntrl-F5)

toby
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
And be sure to come back here with any questions, this is an *awesome* forum! I'm still learning things here after 8 years.

And did you see these?
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/24hours_training.php

dwburman
03-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Just to add to what toby said...

In modeler, if nothing is selected then everything is selected.

You can also deselect stuff with the "/" key.

In layout, shift-C puts you in Camera camera select mode; shift-O, objects; and shift-L, lights. Once in one of these selection modes you can select which item you want to edit via the pop up menu on the bottom or use the up and down arrows to cycle through the items. You can also select items in layout by clicking on them or using the scene editor.

Silkrooster
03-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Some things you need to know :

There is no 'object' mode in modeler, you're always in a geometry editing mode. Object mode would be what you want to be in Layout for. Because of this, there is no explicit selection of objects, only the geometry of the objects. To do this, select a point or polygon, press ']' (close bracket) which selects all connected geometry, then press 't' for the move tool. If you want to position 2 objects relative to each other, like a bed and a room, they should go on separate layers, and remain at origin (but resting on ground for grounded-type objects). Move them into place in Layout.

Deselecting is done by clicking on blank space in the viewport borders, like just below the lowest button the left menu.

To create a primitive, select it's tool and draw in the viewport, or press 'n' which will create the default shape. When you see the cyan controls on the geo, that means you can edit the shapes' parameters. Pressing the spacebar drops the tool and then you can only edit the shape by it's points or polys.

Keep these windows open while you work:
Stats (press 'w')
Numeric (press 'n')
Layers (cntrl-F5)

Layers is F5 not ctrl-F5 by default that is.
F6 is image editor
F7 is the layers panel
F8 is the vertex panel
F9 is preset shelf

F4 is rotate to ground
F3 is rest on ground
F2 center object at world 0

If you would like to know more about shortcuts you can go to
File>Edit>Edit keyboard shorcuts or Alt-F9

toby
03-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Layers is F5 not ctrl-F5 by default that is.
F6 is image editor
Madness! F4 is image editor!
That's what happens when you use the same configs since 2001 =D

Silkrooster
03-04-2009, 02:51 AM
I suppose they probably have changed since then.

Eagle66
03-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Okay thanks 4 all feedback.

There is no 'object' mode in modeler, you're always in a geometry editing mode.

Perhaps it is possible: make a short video to this LW-Basics as the first one of "24 Hours of Training" - because it is very different to other 3D-Software.

In C4D or Blender i need 10 minutes to create and modify Objects because they have the same logic and in LW i despair in this time :hey: ....

By the way: "send object to layout" is grey :help:

Thanks
Roland

Soth
03-04-2009, 06:20 AM
By the way: "send object to layout" is grey :help:

Yoy try to run Layout by yourself, that should activate Hub (little application in the system try, with LightWave logo) and both Modeler and Layout shall be connected from now.

Layout keeps all information in .lws file to render and animate you need objects and theirs positions/lighting/modyfiers etc. saved in this scene file.
Best Luck :)

Matt
03-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I found this old video tutorial on my hard drive, it was done for 7.5 but it's all still relevant for 9.6 for the most part.

I didn't do this tutorial, it was done by some Italian guy. Anyone know who it is?

Video Tutorial: Intro to LightWave Modeler (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave/tutorials/Intro_to_Modeler.rar)
(Quicktime: 15.2MB RAR Archive)

RollerJesus
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
By the way: "send object to layout" is grey

It will be until you save your object. Also, take some time to look at how the content directory works. It's worth the pre-planning time.

toby
03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Perhaps it is possible: make a short video to this LW-Basics as the first one of "24 Hours of Training" - because it is very different to other 3D-Software.

There's always the manual too.