PDA

View Full Version : LW & Windows 7

ksp
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
just wanted to say that i have been running LW (32) on Windows 7 for 3 weeks now and it runs really nicely.
The only exception being that when it has finished a render, it takes 30secs - 1min to sort itself out. (might be because i have the memory segment at 64mb)

:thumbsup:

mosconariz
03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
And... :thumbsup: I've been usin 9.6 in win 7, 32 bits both and they work fine, no problems except some times when I close Lw it crashes.

caesar
03-05-2009, 08:05 AM
IŽll try W7 RC1 64 w/lw 9.6 this weekend...

Ember
03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
LW does work quite nicely in Windows 7 (64-bit) BUT the opengl performance is just horrid when compared to Win XP x64. Even with aero disabled XP is still about 3 times faster. Hope they improve the opengl performance before the final launch.

ps. full screen opengl is though a lot faster than in xp. So there's still some hope I think :)

IMI
03-05-2009, 09:19 AM
LW does work quite nicely in Windows 7 (64-bit) BUT the opengl performance is just horrid when compared to Win XP x64. Even with aero disabled XP is still about 3 times faster. Hope they improve the opengl performance before the final launch.

ps. full screen opengl is though a lot faster than in xp. So there's still some hope I think :)

I'm sure that's due to the available drivers. I see nvidia now has drivers for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, but I kind of doubt they're putting all their effort into them just yet. Don't know about ATI.

I'm not really into the idea of testing Windows 7. An operating system is a helluva thing to have to install/reinstall every 30 days, not to mention all your programs and drivers.... and IMO, 30 days is nowhere near enough time to test it out with everything.
Then again, I look at it like, what's the point? Microsoft couldn't care less what *I* think. ;)

Ember
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm sure that's due to the available drivers. I see nvidia now has drivers for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, but I kind of doubt they're putting all their effort into them just yet. Don't know about ATI.

Maybe. Not sure though, I've already got one update from the nVidia for win 7 drivers (those come through windows update automatically, ain't that cool huh?). I've heard the slowdown is due to opengl being a low priority thing in the first public beta. But like I said: it's super fast in full screen applications (eg. games).

I'm not really into the idea of testing Windows 7. An operating system is a helluva thing to have to install/reinstall every 30 days, not to mention all your programs and drivers.... and IMO, 30 days is nowhere near enough time to test it out with everything.
Then again, I look at it like, what's the point? Microsoft couldn't care less what *I* think. ;)

Hmm, this version doesn't go down in 30 days. Actually, I've been running this install since 11.1.2009 (11/1/2009 for you US folks) and it still works quite fine. I remember hearing that this beta will stop functioning in August 2009. But I'm going to install win 7 RC anyway when it comes out into public.

And if you didn't know, Microsoft has implemented over 30 new features into upcoming RC based on feedback received through the beta program. And huge loads of bugs have been squished. Although this beta is already very very stable... Hasn't died on me even once. Stable as a rock and these days my main OS (even if I sweared I wouldn't take it as my main OS being beta and all... This system just rocks though and it just happened :P )

IMI
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Maybe. Not sure though, I've already got one update from the nVidia for win 7 drivers (those come through windows update automatically, ain't that cool huh?)

Vista does that too, if you allow it. I don't, because Nvidia doesn't always get it right the first time and I like to wait to see what the general public reaction is before installing new GPU drivers. It will auto update nearly all your hardware drivers for that matter, if you allow it.

I'm not in any way shape or form opposed to Windows 7, BTW. I'm a huge Vista fan, and more than likely will buy Windows 7 as soon as it's released. I just don't have the inclination or any reason to mess with it until then. :)

I was under the impression the open beta deactivated after 30 days. Maybe I read it wrong though.

JMCarrigan
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey IMI, if your still around, do you know tings about building your own system? I have a couple of questions.

IMI
03-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey IMI, if your still around, do you know tings about building your own system? I have a couple of questions.

Well I was out for a while...

Yeah, I've built all my own PCs for the past 8 years and several for other people, but to be honest, the technology has changed somewhat again with the i7 and the DDR3 and the newer mobos to accommodate it all. I haven't really studied up on any of the new stuff yet, and I see that's the direction you're going in, so I doubt I could be of much help.
Actually, I'd be afraid to offer any kind of advice at this point for your specs. Not that I'm avoiding that for any other reason, but I'd hate to see someone take my advice on something I'm not real familiar with yet. :)

Mattclary might be able to help you. I believe he builds systems for a living, and he quite frequently gets into the tech threads.

JMCarrigan
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Ah. Thanks IMI. It has been so long. So far everything is working fine. I was wondering though, the one thing I do remember is installing a bit at a time. The various instructions I have that came with the mobo, etc, shows putting the whole thing together. I have done 2 power ons so far and everything is good considering there's no OS. So next is install the sys drive when it arrives, then the OS. I was just wondering if I could have everything hooked up. The more I think about it, the more I think it's fine as I'm not installing a video toaster or high end sound card all at once. Never mind :D

And thanks again.

IMI
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't think you'd have a problem, as long as the fans are running. And again, Intel has always been pretty good about their CPU's shutting down if there are problems such as overheating.
You know, of course, make sure you're grounded. Don't go frying anything with static discharge. ;)

JMCarrigan
03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Static discharge? Is that what all that weird arcing was?

IMI
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Static discharge? Is that what all that weird arcing was?

Yeah, probably nothing to be too concerned about though.
Just toss some water on it if it gets out of hand. ;)

Philbert
03-06-2009, 03:02 AM
And... :thumbsup: I've been usin 9.6 in win 7, 32 bits both and they work fine, no problems except some times when I close Lw it crashes.

That happens to me in Vista occasionally as well.

Actually, I've been running this install since 11.1.2009 (11/1/2009 for you US folks) and it still works quite fine.

11/1/2009 has happened yet in the US, not for another 7 months.

Boris Goreta
03-06-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm on Windows 7 64 since the first build went out (6801). It runs great, all apps start in less then 3 seconds. Didn't have system related crash yet.

But watch out ! I have disabled automatic updates because builds 7000+ made corrupt files on my hard drives ( I have intel software raid ). Also
LW could not automatically go to desired directory when loading files ( images directory for images, object directory for objects, etc...... )

But build 6801 works perfectly so I am sticking with it until the final release.

And it is faster then Vista 64 ( it takes me only an hour to reinstall system+apps that I use so I could feel the difference switching Windows 7 7000+-> Vista -> Windows 7 6801)

Philbert
03-06-2009, 04:03 AM
I failed to mention I do have 7 installed, I just haven't installed LW on that machine. It's an old P4 machine, but 7 runs great on it. The thing is that it's not my main machine so I usually leave it alone. Every time I switch over to it I discover that it had frozen up. Since it has never happened while I was using it I have no idea what's causing it.

JMCarrigan
03-08-2009, 09:35 AM
IŽll try W7 RC1 64 w/lw 9.6 this weekend...

Could you tell me about that? I have the beta download on a cd from when they were allowing it. If I install it, will it upgrade itself to RC1 64 on a 64 bit machine and RC1 32 on a 32 bit machine? I really dislike the Windows 7 forum Q&A's.

JMCarrigan
03-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah, probably nothing to be too concerned about though.
Just toss some water on it if it gets out of hand. ;)

Heh heh he! :D

Philbert
03-08-2009, 09:49 AM
BTW I realized that I actually did install LW on the Win7 machine I just haven't tried it yet. I loaded it up and it seemed to work just fine. I was having a little display lagging, but I think that's just because I was using Remote Desktop to access the machine.

newdogg
04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
my LW64 isn't recognizing my plug-ins and configs. help me out.