PDA

View Full Version : XDof

M-X
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I have just bought XDof I have been able to load the plugin into 9.2 but not 9.3 or 9.6
Has anyone managed to get XDof into 9.6?

BeeVee
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Matt,

I don't know if Evasion develop actively for LightWave any more (especially not since PR DoF in 9.3), but you should email them at [email protected]

B

M-X
03-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks Ben.

jasonazure
03-04-2009, 02:01 AM
I have just bought XDof I have been able to load the plugin into 9.2 but not 9.3 or 9.6
Has anyone managed to get XDof into 9.6?

I can't tell you about 9.6 as I haven't fully upgraded to it yet ( I have it but it isn't part of the production pipeline), but I definitely have XDOF working in 9.3.1!

Despite the claims of PR DOF in the newer versions of LW, I still find XDOF faster, easier to setup and smoother.

Hope this helps

Darth Mole
03-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Happy to report that yes, it works fine here in LW9.6 on Mac CFM version (obviously it won't work on the UB as it hasn't been recompiled).

M-X
03-04-2009, 03:40 AM
So is that the issue that I am running 9.3 & 9.6 UB?

BeeVee
03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, if a Mac plugin has only been compiled for the CFM version it won't run in the UB version (it won't be found by LightWave). On the plus side, there's nothing to stop you installing the CFM version as well as the UB version on your Mac. On the minus side, rendering will be much slower.

B

jaxtone
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
But the BIG question is... have they fixed it so it even works in LW 9.6 in a 64 bit environment?

Sensei
04-26-2009, 11:27 AM
So is that the issue that I am running 9.3 & 9.6 UB?

On Mac file ending with .p extension is CFM, old PPC executable. Mac UB has .plugin extension. Much easier to find out than Windows 32 bit and 64 bit, which have both the same extension (trying to add wrong file ends up with message "Can't find plug-in").

dmack
04-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I have it working under LW9.6 except for perspective camera.

No doubt about it, X-Dof still has a very valid place even with the intro of PRblur. PRBlur is too 'hammer to a nut' for a lot of commercial applications where each frame needs to be rendered in a sensible timframe. If Evasion are still selling X-Dof, then IMO, they should still support it fully and this means they should address things like it not working with Perspective camera.

DrStrik9
05-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I haven't used XDof since Fprime was released. In my own experience (which is limited since I just upgraded from LW 8.5 to 9.6 TODAY), XDof is great for stills, but leaves much to be desired when animated -- lots of "blur-jumping" when DOF is changed over time. FPrime Render does a fantastic job of DOF when animated, at LEAST as good as XDof in stills, and also totally believable in animations.

my 2-cents
Michael

kolby
05-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Xdof + LW9.6 32bit on XP64bit works fine for me.

jaxtone
07-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Where do you find it after installation?

Do you mean Xdof or Xdof2?

Xdof + LW9.6 32bit on XP64bit works fine for me.

kolby
07-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Where do you find it after installation?

Do you mean Xdof or Xdof2?

Is it Xdof 2

jaxtone
07-25-2009, 02:53 AM
The only thing that doesn´t pop up is the DOF antialiasing.

Whatever people might say about Xdof, it´s still the fastest and most accurate DOF-plugin I´ve seen. Lightwaves own system for DOF and blur are probably the slowest and most complicated I ever seen. Crappy, unfashioned and totally booring!

Hopefully the tech team that explore, evaluate and develope CORE will not add only a DOF tool that fits the technicians among Lightwave´s users!

jaxtone
07-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Is FPrime slower and more technically advanced compared to XDOF?

I haven't used XDof since Fprime was released. In my own experience (which is limited since I just upgraded from LW 8.5 to 9.6 TODAY), XDof is great for stills, but leaves much to be desired when animated -- lots of "blur-jumping" when DOF is changed over time. FPrime Render does a fantastic job of DOF when animated, at LEAST as good as XDof in stills, and also totally believable in animations.

my 2-cents
Michael

DrStrik9
07-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Is FPrime slower and more technically advanced compared to XDOF?

It's been a log time since I used XDof, so honestly, I don't remember enough to compare details. I moved away from it for animated dof accuracy when FPrime came out. I hear there's an Xdof2, so maybe they addressed the issues I was having with it, which was a pretty serious JUMP between frames when the dof itself was animated.

FPrime uses the dof info provided in LW, so you can do things like use a null for focal length, and also animate F-Stop, and diaphragm rotation.

I should probably check into Xdof2, to see if they've solved the animation issues. I do remember that Xdof was far faster than LW's old renderer, but now with the new renderer and so many camera choices, who knows? FPrime is very fast as well, but I couldn't tell you which one is faster.

jaxtone
07-25-2009, 02:10 PM
But you´re sure that FPrime is way faster than Lightwave´s own DOF renderer? Have you compared these two, it would be very interesting to see how much faster FPrime works in comparizon with Lightwave?

It's been a log time since I used XDof, so honestly, I don't remember enough to compare details. I moved away from it for animated dof accuracy when FPrime came out. I hear there's an Xdof2, so maybe they addressed the issues I was having with it, which was a pretty serious JUMP between frames when the dof itself was animated.

FPrime uses the dof info provided in LW, so you can do things like use a null for focal length, and also animate F-Stop, and diaphragm rotation.

I should probably check into Xdof2, to see if they've solved the animation issues. I do remember that Xdof was far faster than LW's old renderer, but now with the new renderer and so many camera choices, who knows? FPrime is very fast as well, but I couldn't tell you which one is faster.

DrStrik9
07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
But you´re sure that FPrime is way faster than Lightwave´s own DOF renderer? Have you compared these two, it would be very interesting to see how much faster FPrime works in comparizon with Lightwave?

I did compare earlier, and chose to use LW's renderer over FPrime for final DOF renders. But I'm unclear whether Worley has been able to get access to all cores on Mac yet. Earlier, prior to 3.51 for UB Mac (if memory serves), there was apparently a problem with the SDK that did not allow this. Worley said they hoped this would be fixed in 9.6.1.

Prior, FPrime has always been much faster that the LW renderer. But recent speed improvements in LW's native renderer have indeed narrowed the gap. Still, setting up scenes, lighting, texturing without FPrime's previewer is a lot slower than without, in my experience. There are some nodal and/or texture issues, however.

I'm pretty sure NewTek is committed to giving Worley what they need to make FPrime all it can be.