PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to turn this off?

IMI
03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm wondering if there's a way to turn off the camera focal length grid display thingy. I don't know what to call it. ;)
But I can't find any options anywhere to shut it off. It goes from a grid to just an outline when you select the classic camera, which is less intrusive, but that's not what I want.

It's very useful, yes, but gets annoying. I often hide the camera and the lights anyway with the scene editor, but of course they display again when selected. Even if there were a way to change its color to something not so in-yer-face as that yellow, it would be better.

Thanks. :)

Dexter2999
03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I dont understand what you find annoying.

It is a reference to your framing when moving a camera. I can't imagine moving the camera from any view other than CAMERA VIEW without a reference.

IMI
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Well I know what it's for, but there are other ways of doing that, such as I often have FPrime running, for one, multiple viewports open for another, but also you have the framing reference options you can turn on in the the display options panel.
As for moving the camera, I move it in perspective view all the time, particularly when it's targeting a null or other object.

I just find it annoying in perspective view when it occludes the view of my objects. It's also kind of distracting sometimes.
Indulge me, I'm weird that way. :)

evenflcw
03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
This functionality could have been provided through plugins by swapping out the native camera icon for a custom one. Unfortunately it seems, as per usual, this also introduces some oddities because all item types are apparently implemented differently. *SIGH*

For objects everything works as expected.
For cameras the native icon does disappear as it should, BUT the transformational handles disappear aswell. WTF!? 8~
For lights the native icon DOESN'T disappear as it should, BUT the transformational handles do. WTF*2!? 8~8~

If anyone ever wondered why the number of 3rd party coders is so low, then this is one of those prime examples. No coder with respect for himself aswell as others will want to release a plugin which works so poorly, much less go through all the hassle that any potential workaround would require. (I know, I've done it too many times already. I lack self respect).

I suppose you could plead to NT to fix these issues, but it's probably to late now with CORE and all. I'll report it, but it'd be a wonder if they bothered. In this case it would probably be more along NTs lines to just add an option to the gui for an alternate camera drawings. Doubt we'd see that too.

EDIT2: No luck.

Dexter2999
03-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Add a null assign geometry to the null under Geometry tab.
Move the null to the same location as the camera.
Parent the camera to the null.
Open the scene editor and hide the camera. It will pop up if you select the camera but if you just select the null that you cleverly name something like "camera proxy" you will be able to move your camera by moving the proxy and without any visible reference.

Good Luck

P.S. If this is something you want to do all the time, make an Lscript and give it a button.

IMI
03-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah that works for moving the camera around and not having to look at the focal grid. I suppose that's as close as I'm gonna get to what I want, so thanks for the suggestion. :)

Still though I don't see why they didn't include a "Hide Annoying Camera Thingy" check box in the Display Options. They have nearly everything else in there.

Nevertheless, I can live with it, or use your suggestion.