PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Rod Seffen(Oddity)

Nicolas Jordan
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM
I came across this interview with our old friend Oddity. I enjoyed reading it and thought others here would also want to read it. I don't think it's been posted here yet.

Here is the link http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/stories_bts/bts_detail/rod_seffen_pixelwerks/

Titus
03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95875

3DGFXStudios
03-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Really cool! His work is really amazing..............

wacom
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Well, maybe he could be a bit harsh on the boards, although I'd argue most people, including my self are too soft with the crit, but you've gotta hand it to him- he set out to do something and he's doing it well.

He's also surprisingly humble, which also shows that he really is constantly pushing himself and learning new things while making new mistakes etc. I'm sure what seems like harsh crit is only what is often running through his own mind as he works.

I thought it also showed how, depending on what your needs are, often we have more than enough software at hand to get a given job done, but need to spend more time on the basics of our craft, and what's between the ears.

I also thought what he said about lighting was interesting and I'd have to agree in my limited experience with such lighting. If you're going for the kind of control an adept photographer or painter would go for in terms of mood/story with lighting you're going to have to take the time to do more and more manually and strategically than just using one light and hitting fire on the old GI render button. There is making an image of what you "see" and then there is the image that is processed through the mind's eye.

I have to admit I laughed at when he started talking about how people often fall prey to outlandish displays of their "creativity" by making monsters/creatures/humanoids with odd, and unnecessary anatomical features. So true- and unfortunately the 3D world is a wash with such things.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the cool 3D dragons and such, just that I'm getting over saturated by them!

Great read really as it shed a lot of light on "Oddity" in ways I wouldn't have guessed. One of the best "3D" peeps interviews I've read.

Bog
03-03-2009, 03:13 PM
There's no doubt the man's very talented, but very talented people aren't in such short availability that his deliberately nasty attitude was warranted.

I really hope he can get over that, because it is holding him back, whether he realises it or not. None of us are so bloody marvellous that we can't be replaced.

Rod Seffen
03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
It hasn't been holding me back so far..I couldn't physically do more more work than I'm already doing, and I'm doing what I enjoy as well. Getting banned from forums certainly becomes annoying after a while though.
Anyway, I hoped you all noticed how many plugs for lightwave I managed to get in considering it was an autodesk interview.

Bog
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
It hasn't been holding me back so far..I couldn't physically do more more work than I'm already doing, and I'm doing what I enjoy as well. Getting banned from forums certainly becomes annoying after a while though.
Anyway, I hoped you all noticed how many plugs for lightwave I managed to get in considering it was an autodesk interview.

I'll consider any and everything if you'll start behaving in a civilised manner.

howardt
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I enjoyed the interview and the art.

LightWuv
03-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Yeah, that's a lot of Lightwave for an AutoDesk URL all right :D

Interesting interview, too. Good stuff!

hrgiger
03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Rod, I have a question for you. I'm always trying to 'bone' up on my anatomy knowledge but I find a lot of the books I find are pretty limiting and I don't get a lot of useful information out of them other then your standard static poses anaomty charts. What kind of sources do you use when studying anatomy?

COBRASoft
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Amazing work, congrats! I was impressed AutoDesk let you mention LightWave so much :)

Will you go HARDCORE? Your experience with MudBox could come in handy there too.

MooseDog
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Some people think imagination means inventing some outlandish creature concept that's never been seen before, but it required as much imagination (and far more talent) to sculpt something as apparently simple and mundane as Michelangelo's "David" as it does to create a many tentacled beast from the 6th level of hell. Imagination can be blatant -- adding 6 extra kidneys, tentacles with 8 eyebrows each, and bulging ear muscles, or it can be subtle -- the delicate pose of the fingers on a hand, or the aesthetic simplification of a group of muscles. One isn't more imaginative than the other. It's just that the first one seems to require more imagination because it's so extreme and obvious.

you're a cook, huh? i'm going to guess that a certain a. escoffier taught you the difficulty and beauty of simplicity. well...close to him any way. alot of his stuff ...is... overwrought, but i see the core kitchen philosophy of perfection has carried through with you.

they did a good job with the article, you had some great things to say, it was a wonderful advert for lighhtwave :lol:, a big winner for all concerned. thx.

Andyjaggy
03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I'll consider any and everything if you'll start behaving in a civilised manner.

Chill Bog. This is precisely part of the problem, it's almost like people want him to break out being nasty and encourage it by making comments like that. I think everyone takes these forums a little too seriously.

DiedonD
03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Yeah Mark, surely it remains to be seen, and I know how you feel, but I tihnk Rod has learned his lesson! Hes just trying to stay put in aye forum, without the warning of beeing banned... again!

Its warning and presure at work here. I think its having its effects!

I say we should give him a chance. Hes not gooing anywhere, sooner or later well see just how far those tools above have caused change in the man!

If no change than his job is in jeopardy by bans! Its no fun and tight like that!

Preasure can change anyone! Irrelevant political references removed from this thread.

DiedonD
03-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Ah, look at the little psycho analysts poor in :)

As Andy said. You concern yourselves too much with others and forget to look inwards.

That's my nickel's worth of wisdom to you.

Just leave it and move on.

Hello Banana :)

Well the last time I checked inwards, everything was in its place. Did I miss anything? How about a psychoanalysis from your side then? What is it that I have forgoten to look for inwards by you then? Perhaps youll know me better than I!

Appart from that sarcasm, I am a bit curious what you think of me?

cresshead
03-04-2009, 01:12 AM

yeah that certainly brought a smile to me!

looks like you really like mudbox2009 over zbrush, mudbox certainly has come on a lot with 2009 version.:thumbsup:

DiedonD
03-04-2009, 01:26 AM
You wouldn't want to know and let's leave it at that.

I don't think you got my point either.

Its that good huh!

Oh I get both of your points, including that one.

akademus
03-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Great interview and tutorial, Rod. Thumbs up.

Welcome back to these waters.

Rod Seffen
03-04-2009, 05:22 AM
hmm..I don't think it's necessary to have two threads going about me at the same time. It's getting embarrassing.

looks like you really like mudbox2009 over zbrush, mudbox certainly has come on a lot with 2009 version.

I've been using mudbox since the beta of version 1, and I still prefer that version. Aside from the performance improvements and painting in mudbox2009, the actual sculpting
'feel' in mudbox 1 is better, and the fact that you can't locally subdivide selections of parts of the mesh in 2009 is annoying.

Its warning and presure at work here. I think its having its effects!

I say we should give him a chance. Hes not gooing anywhere, sooner or later well see just how far those tools above have caused change in the man!

If no change than his job is in jeopardy by bans! Its no fun and tight like that!

If you're trying to make me put you on my ignore list again, you're doing a good job.
I've never gotten any work via the lightwave forums as far as I know, but I have via the cgtalk and mudbox forums/galleries for sure, so no I'm not slinking back here because it's affecting my career. I'm currently doing better than I ever and have work lined up for the next 6 months, and am turning down several offers a week...even though I've been banned from here for the last year.
It's just nice to be able to post as myself for a change.

Hey Rod, I have a question for you. I'm always trying to 'bone' up on my anatomy knowledge but I find a lot of the books I find are pretty limiting and I don't get a lot of useful information out of them other then your standard static poses anaomty charts. What kind of sources do you use when studying anatomy?

Anatomy books are almost useless for learning 3d modeling. The problem is in having to mentally translate from a 2d page to a 3d model. That just compounds the difficulty of learning an already complex subject.
If you're really serious you should get one of the figures from freedomofteach.com (http://www.freedomofteach.com/products/figures/) which means you no longer have to do any translation. I have the version 3 figure and it's definitely been of use.
Another good reference is female bodybuilders. They're generally better than male bodybuilders because they don't become huge and bloated but retain lean and very well defined surface anatomy. Male and female muscle anatomy is virtually identical anyway.
These two sources are just to get a solid understanding of base anatomy, but of course most people don't look like that, their anatomy is a lot more subtle, so you also need to study more realistic people of all shapes and sizes, and a site like 3d.sk is great for that.
Studying classical sculpture helps you to see complex anatomy broken down into simpler forms and masses. Michelangelo was particularly great at this. Download [url=http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/scanview]scanview[/url and study David at your leisure.
Life models are also great of course, and that includes yourself and a mirror.
The main point here is not to rely on one source of information.

DiedonD
03-04-2009, 05:42 AM
If you're trying to make me put you on my ignore list again, you're doing a good job.
I've never gotten any work via the lightwave forums as far as I know, but I have via the cgtalk and mudbox forums/galleries for sure, so no I'm not slinking back here because it's affecting my career. I'm currently doing better than I ever and have work lined up for the next 6 months, and am turning down several offers a week...even though I've been banned from here for the last year.
It's just nice to be able to post as myself for a change.

Well I certainly didnt want to go that far. I was just elaborating from:

oDDity has been banned from several forums by now, and warned on all the rest, so it's probably wise to quit. I am after all a freelancer and the internet and CG galleries are one way of getting work, so being banned from all of them is not a very smart move

In fact I welcomed your arrival havent I? Was just trying to make people understand change and give another chance! Thats all...

Bah... Instead of beeing grateful...

cresshead
03-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Anatomy books are almost useless for learning 3d modeling. The problem is in having to mentally translate from a 2d page to a 3d model. That just compounds the difficulty of learning an already complex subject.
If you're really serious you should get one of the figures from freedomofteach.com (http://www.freedomofteach.com/products/figures/) which means you no longer have to do any translation. I have the version 3 figure and it's definitely been of use.
Another good reference is female bodybuilders. They're generally better than male bodybuilders because they don't become huge and bloated but retain lean and very well defined surface anatomy. Male and female muscle anatomy is virtually identical anyway.
These two sources are just to get a solid understanding of base anatomy, but of course most people don't look like that, their anatomy is a lot more subtle, so you also need to study more realistic people of all shapes and sizes, and a site like 3d.sk is great for that.
Studying classical sculpture helps you to see complex anatomy broken down into simpler forms and masses. Michelangelo was particularly great at this. Download [url=http://graphics.stanford.edu/software/scanview]scanview[/url and study David at your leisure.

nice, good info there also tooka lok at this demo vid on sculpting a head
on that site
http://www.freedomofteach.com/products/artist_busts/bust_flesh_torso/zbrush_demo

Matt
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM

I did, was amazed they allowed it to be honest!

So, are you back now Rod?

archijam
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Great work Rod, good to see you about again. Didn't know it was you working on that Greenaway/Rainer work, great stuff!

Keep inspiring us, where ever you post! :thumbsup:

beverins
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM

I absolutely adored the mentions of Lightwave and it was very surprising to see it mentioned on Autodesk's site.

Welcome back!!!

IMI
03-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Tell you what, man...

I don't give a damn what has happened in the past around here with you and other people, what's been said by whom and all that. The past is the past and either we choose to live in the present or we wander through life harboring petty grievances which in the end really only hurt ourselves.

And unless I'm being attacked, I don't see any point in b!tching out anyone or warning them about how they *might* act in the future, so all this "well, let's see if he's changed" stuff seems a bit silly or at least rather premature.
I could go on with this, but that would be silly too. ;)

In any event, I find your work to be a tremendous inspiration, and definitely something to try to work towards. Equally, I find it tremendously inspirational that you learned and accomplished so much in so little time, especially considering, as you say, you've only been at the sculpting part for a few years.
I hope you hang around, and I hope you post some work and maybe even drop a tip or two every now and then, and just blow off the comments of your detractors.
And I hope when the day comes that I upload an image of some of the sculpt work I've been doing, you see it and tell it to me as it is, without any concern whatsoever what anyone might think about that. :thumbsup:

IMI
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
I absolutely adored the mentions of Lightwave and it was very surprising to see it mentioned on Autodesk's site.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in my post. It's great to see LW mentioned so favorably, and it's even better when it happens on an Autodesk site. ;)

akademus
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
And unless I'm being attacked, I don't see any point in b!tching out anyone or warning them about how they *might* act in the future, so all this "well, let's see if he's changed" stuff seems a bit silly or at least rather premature.

I absolutely agree with you. This is not psychoanalytic forum and we do not need to "fix" anyone or make anyone suitable for discussing here. People are here for a reason and that is to share their opinions and experiences (mostly) about LW and 3D and things RELATED to this work we do for living.

Andyjaggy
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
This thread is Epic FAIL! Oh wait......... I don't have the power to close a thread. :)

Twisted_Pixel
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Very interesting interview.
Just curious, which part of the country are you from?

hydroclops
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
hrgiger,

I'm no authority or anything, but some years ago I participated in an anatomy workshop. It was some kind of traveling company that visited a local art museum.

What was worth noting about it, was much of the information from the instructor. She was a degreed anatomist. Her focus was on the arts, but many of her peers were in the medical field. She wasn't a painter or sculptor, or anything, but she was an anatomist. She'd participated in many dissections over the years, and had many bits of wisdom.

For example one that I remember was about individual variation. She said that the facial muscles varied quite a bit from person to person and that on some people they are well defined and firmly attached to the skull. On others they seemed to be smaller and "floating" in the flesh of the face. This info came from dissections. She presented this as an aside during her lecture as an example of the fact that anatomists do not have it all figured out yet and the field is in an ongoing exploration.

In the class we were given plastic skeletal forms and, muscle by muscle, we built up a form with plasticine. It was NOT a sculpting exercise, you didn't need any kind of skill, it was a lesson it anatomical categorization.

I wrote all this to give you an idea of how deep this topic is, and how many resources there are. For what it's worth...

Edited to add: This is the company.

http://www.anatomyinclay.com/index1.html

It took me a while to find it. The course I took was over ten years ago. It was two three hour sessions over the weekend and maybe cost $100.

LightWuv
03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Rod, thanks for that, and the links. Helpful stuff.

This thread is Epic FAIL! Oh wait......... I don't have the power to close a thread. :)

Funny :D

DogBoy
03-07-2009, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the link, I'd not seen those. Very nice models.

Out of interest, what changed in the sculpting in Mudbox 2 anyway? You sound like the fundamental "feel" changed.

Rod Seffen
03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
It did, it feels more like sculpting in hard butter than clay. I think it's down to a combination of the new shader models making it look softer, and they basically rewrote the code for the way the mesh display and subdivides etc to get the speed enhancements and improved polycounts that they did, so it's basically a new app rather than an upgrade of mudbox 1.

Just curious, which part of the country are you from?
The 24/7 burgeoning metropolis that is Magherafelt.

sammael
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Welcome back Rod :)

Your interview was an interesting read, I love the texture work on The Gardener and fat lady pieces, what software are you using for rendering mainly now?

Rod Seffen
03-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Still lightwave, the only one I rendered in maya was the sitting guy with the stick, because of the superior sss shader in mental ray (as far as getting marble goes).