PDA

View Full Version : Clip distance/Grid Square Size problem

cyphyr
03-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi guys

I'm trying to animate a small space ship traveling from orbit to the surface of a planet below.
The ship is small, about 20m long and the planet section is 2Mm square. The camera is close to the ship.

I cant figure out how to be able to see both objects in the camera preview.

The ship object is only visible when the Grid Square Size is set to 100m or less and the Planet is only visible when the Grid Square Size is set to 2km or more. Fixed Near Clip Dist doesn't help.

Any suggestions how I can see both objects at the same time?

Thanks

cyphyr

toby
03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
You'll have to make the planet smaller and bring the camera closer. Also recommend you stay away from the Mm distances from origin, everything starts to quantize. That's the point where geometry and even display handles start to jump around and look funny.

cyphyr
03-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks for your answer but unfortunately I cant make the planet section smaller (if I did would I have to scale the ship proportionately? ~ and wouldn't that leave me with the same problems?). I'm using Lightwave to controle the animation which will then be exported and rendered in another app. There's got to be a way to do this, surely....
Thanks
cyphyr

toby
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Can you cut down the planet to just what you see in camera, then center it to the origin? I don't know what your framing is like so it's hard to make suggestions, but if you can see the ship with the whole planet in the background then scaling it down and bringing it closer would be easy, and if you're close to the planet you only need a piece of it. Scaling it all down would avoid any quantization effect btw.

Since it's mostly a display problem you could make 2 quick lscripts with Lscript Commander, each with a preset to for a grid size that fits each object, and map that to two different keyboard shortcuts. You could even make it switch when you select one object or the other.