PDA

View Full Version : Adding Dynamics to part of an object

rtl114
03-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Hello all,

I have a quick Dynamic question. I thought it was possible to add a soft (or any other) dynamic to just part of an object by using weight maps or defining parts of the object. Itís been some time since Iíve had a lightwave project, so I canít remember if this is right, or how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 06:18 AM
That is correct. You can fix any part of the mesh using a weight map The rest of the mesh that doesnt have that weight map is effected by the dynamics. You can also cut out geometry, apply clothfx to just that part and then use the node match function to bring the dynamic calc back to the full mesh.

rtl114
03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
That is correct. You can fix any part of the mesh using a weight map The rest of the mesh that doesnt have that weight map is effected by the dynamics. You can also cut out geometry, apply clothfx to just that part and then use the node match function to bring the dynamic calc back to the full mesh.

Thanks! Do you assign the weight map in the dynamics window?

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Create the WM in modeler and assign it in the dynamics interface. You can also use UV maps, parts, selection sets, surfaces etc. You can use weight maps to effect many aspects of cloth dynamics as well. In this example I used a weight map to effect the resistence. This makes part of the mesh resist the 'wind' more then other areas which is why it wrinkles as it falls.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/3dtext.mov

silviotoledo
03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Larry

The big problem in FIX areas is that lightwave ALSO calculates the fix areas and calculation times goes crazy.

I really liked your CUT solution and PAST BACK with math node. This would be really nice to see in action. Any tutorial? :)

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Right, which is why cutting away geometry willl save calc time. I dont have a tutorial ATM on doing this. Node match is thing you want to check out with this method.
Calc the cloth on the cutaway geometry and save the mdd file. Load that mdd back onto the original geometry but set to node match.

silviotoledo
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
the metalink process in another alternative, but I neved tried it yet.