PDA

View Full Version : Inside LW Core

Philbert
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Has anyone heard if Dan Ablan will be writing an Inside LightWave Core book? Honestly the only one I own is Inside LW 7 since I figured 8 and 9 would be like 80% the same, but I imagine Core will be very different. I assume I'll be getting into Hard Core, even if I have to pay more after March 31st, but I'm sure I won't learn everything while testing.

allabulle
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I was asking myself the same question. In any case, it's going to be a while since LightWave CORE hits the streets and, through the process, until the new app is getting shape I guess it's somewhat a waste of time to be re-writting everything as the sofware evolves (and changes). Especially for the project centered books Mr. Ablan tend to write. Maybe some videos like the series on LightWave and Modo he does at 'his garage' would be more agile and appealing for him. Anyway, time will tell. You should ask him if you really want him to write a new book: maybe if people show some interest he will think about it.

It's curious, I own almost every book on LightWave he wrote, it was such a habit: new version of the software, and new book. Even at times, when I was using mainly other software packages I kept buying those books; to stay in touch with LW. Who knows.

Recently I was talking about that same subject with a friend and he showed me his Essential LightWave's books. Those are quite fine too.

And enough for now. Sorry if I made it too long. (Oh, and excuse my english, please: I do my best, really).

Philbert
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
(Oh, and excuse my english, please: I do my best, really).

Your best was pretty good.

JeffrySG
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure Dan said that ISLW9 was going to be his last one but one never knows for sure. I have his 9 book and love it.

allabulle
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, I remember him stating that, but now that things are changing... who knows. Doing some videos it's not that time consuming and maybe he will be more in the mood of doing some, though. We'll see somewhere around the Q4. It would be much appreciated for many if at the end he surprises us with videos or a book. I know I'll be buying them, for sure.

And thanks, Philbert. I'll try to improve my english until I feel no shame when I'm writting. It's going to take a while, sadly. :--)

SplineGod
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I will also be putting out videos on CORE when the time comes. :)

bassmanjam
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
It seems like this will be a really good opportunity to show the strengths of CORE. With all the excitement, there will be a lot of people looking for any tuts or reading material to help wrap their brain around what it will be able to do.
Cheers to all those who put in their time and effort for the benefit of the community.

Silkrooster
03-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Dan said that ISLW9 was going to be his last one but one never knows for sure. I have his 9 book and love it.
If i recall he said that before 9 then finally agreed to do 9.

Good to hear. I hope you do well.

SplineGod
03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
I typically like to take things I learn in production and put them into my videos. As soon as its possible to use CORE in production work I plan to put that into more DVD. :)

allabulle
03-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I typically like to take things I learn in production and put them into my videos. As soon as its possible to use CORE in production work I plan to put that into more DVD. :)

I'm so glad to hear that. :--)

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Right now Im working at a studio on a show for Spike TV in the U.S.
Weve got artists using LW, Maya and XSI on the show. The vast majority of the 3D work is being done with LW.
I was just promoted to lead artist this week and was asked to train the maya artists on LW. Theres a lot of interest in CORE because of what were able to do with the current version of LW.
Again its the fast workflow in LW combined with nice output that theyre loving. The powers that be are quite impressed with the quality of what were able to do on our production schedule.
I hope Newtek is able to preserve those aspects of LW that make it great for production but at the same time deepen the channels where they need to be.
Were doing shots with thousands of characters at one time thanks to HDInstance. It will be nice to see these sorts of things built into CORE. Im looking forward to using it as much as I can in production and see what shakes loose. Whatever I learn in the process will definately go into making videos that people will find of practical value. :)

cresshead
03-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Weve got artists using LW, Maya and XSI on the show. The vast majority of the 3D work is being done with LW.
I was just promoted to lead artist this week and was asked to train the maya artists on LW. Theres a lot of interest in CORE because of what were able to do with the current version of LW.
Again its the fast workflow in LW combined with nice output that theyre loving. The powers that be are quite impressed with the quality of what were able to do on our production schedule.
I hope Newtek is able to preserve those aspects of LW that make it great for production but at the same time deepen the channels where they need to be.
Were doing shots with thousands of characters at one time thanks to HDInstance. It will be nice to see these sorts of things built into CORE. Im looking forward to using it as much as I can in production and see what shakes loose. Whatever I learn in the process will definately go into making videos that people will find of practical value. :)

excellent news!:thumbsup:

look forward to core beta and in future core vids from you too!:lwicon::D

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Thank you sir! :)
BTW the show is called Deadliest Warriors and is supposed to start airing April 5 here. :)

StereoMike
03-03-2009, 01:53 AM
funny, in us tv-shows it's all about dogfights, warriors, fighters etc.
nevermind.
But great news for you Larry, I wish you and everyone here the best in the upcoming hard times.

mike

Darth Mole
03-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Frankly, I can live without Dan Ablan rewriting the manual and claiming yet another $40 off everyone.

If he does deign to write a CORE book, it's going to have to be bloody good before I throw any more cash his way.

Matt
03-03-2009, 02:16 AM
And if I ever figure anything cool out in Core, you can probably expect I'll be posting some stuff!

Lewis
03-03-2009, 02:20 AM
And if I ever figure anything cool out in Core, you can probably expect I'll be posting some stuff!

So is this mean more DeTorials then :D :D???

Philbert
03-03-2009, 02:20 AM
funny, in us tv-shows it's all about dogfights, warriors, fighters etc.

Actually I think it's more "reality" shows than anything. Though thankfully I think that is starting to lose some popularity. Tonight I watched Chuck (http://www.nbc.com/Chuck/index.shtml), How I Met Your Mother (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/how_i_met_your_mother/), The Big Bang Theory (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/), and Heroes (http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/). So 2 out of 4 were action related. Though one of those is sort of action / comedy.

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks Mike, thats true it seems. :)
Spike TV is a very male oriented network so no surprised there.
The show has been very interesting and challenging to work on.
Traditionally the entertainment industry seems to fare well during times of economic hardship. 9/11 actually seemed to have a much more adverse effect on things here.

jasonwestmas
03-03-2009, 07:16 AM

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to your CORE instruction. I like your technical explainations and honesty in your vids, great stuff.

jasonwestmas
03-03-2009, 07:22 AM

Well it's no surprise you are the lead for a Lightwave group, you obviously have deep roots in it and that basic architecture is still there. I'm sure Core will take many of those strong points of lightwave and preserve them. Fast production is definately what this industry needs, glad to hear it!:goodluck:

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jason. Lets hope that NT does it right :)

IMI
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Dan Ablan did say he's not doing any more Inside books. I think he's going more the video route from here on out and he does have two new LW 9.6 video courses. That info is on his 3D Garage website (http://www.3dgarage.com/).

So he'll probably have a LightWave CORE Courseware eventually. Wouldn't surprise me if he called it LightWave COREseware. ;)
(bookmark this thread for future use to see if I was right...)

Sounds good Larry. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do, video-wise in the future. :thumbsup:

If you're taking requests, I've always wanted to see a full blown character modeling/texturing/animation course. :)

procyon99
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
A nice LARGE compilation of videos about how to use CORE would be a GREAT start! :thumbsup:

We do get free training videos as a 'hardCORE' member. as the page says. I'm not hardCORE yet, will be soon, I hope.

ctuller
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I was just promoted to lead artist this week and was asked to train the maya artists on LW.

Best quote ever :) Congrats on the promo.

IMI
03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm not CORE yet either - but will be after the 15th of this month. Gotta wait till the next billing cycle. :)

Oh so you're going to become a "Super Member" too, huh?
They're inadvertently sowing the seeds for major class warfare here on the forums. Mark my words, this could get ugly. :D

Just kidding....

I'd imagine the official CORE videos will be made by William Vaughn, and I would assume they'd go public right after CORE goes public, or possibly made available along the way to the general masses as a way to attract more customers.

IMI
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I may end up becoming a "super member" but I won't be wearing tights - or any OTHER "protection" either! :D

OK, that's just a little more information than we needed. ;)

Silkrooster
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you sir! :)
BTW the show is called Deadliest Warriors and is supposed to start airing April 5 here. :)

I hope I can see it. Its kind of cool seeing a show that you of someone that worked on it. Good luck.

Nemoid
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks Jason. Lets hope that NT does it right :)
i think its possible especially if newtek takes into right consideration the feedback users like you can prrovide! :agree:
they also used to have artists like tsirbas which provided great and direct feedback in the past... now with core membership all great artists will be allowed to provide the right suggestions to the team for a modern ansd productive app. :)

another thing to consider is that actually, every app within the market has its strong points /for example : Maya and XSI are strong into animation/character animation, houdini in flexibility and stratification allowed by a nodal parametric environment,etc. Silo and Modo have some good points into modelling ) so I'd say get inspired from those strong points, forget the weak ones, and BTW mantain Lw strong points too.

imo, fast production should always be the goal

LightWuv
03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I was just promoted to lead artist this week and was asked to train the maya artists on LW.

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to more training!

ncr100
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks Mike, thats true it seems. :)
Spike TV is a very male oriented network so no surprised there.
The show has been very interesting and challenging to work on.
Traditionally the entertainment industry seems to fare well during times of economic hardship. 9/11 actually seemed to have a much more adverse effect on things here.

Cools!!! Ninja vs Gladiator! :2guns:

ThriJ
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I hope there will be an Inside LW Core!?!

Actually, Inside LightWave 6 was how I discovered LightWave3D. I was looking at all the covers in the computer book section and I Looked at the cover of Inside LW6 and thought "man I wish I knew who and with what program made that." When I opened it up out of curiosity I was in for a shock!:D I read that whole book way before I was able to actully get LW. I have been hooked ever since!:thumbsup:

So there has to be a Inside LW Core Book and of course a training series by Larry!

I am glad at least Larry is all set!:thumbsup:

SplineGod
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys. About as set as can be at this point :)