PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Audio Problem - Trying to sync voice?

affloeck
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm a beginner animator and I'm sorry if this question has been addressed previously to this forum but I can't find an answer to it anywhere.

When I load an audio clip in Scene Editor and I play each frame in the timeline, the audio file plays it at a slower rate. So, when I am trying to sync voice to my characters mouth movements, it looks great when I scroll through the timeline (with the slowed down audio) but when I make a preview, it is completely off because the audio plays at normal speed. Anyone have an answer to this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

-Adam

toby
03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Using a different program, like Premiere, to see what frame each phonoem falls on, recording it on a sheet, ( 'O' sound at frame 54, etc.) then using that sheet to animate with, is a workflow I learned from someone who animated Shrek and Gollum so I tend to go with that :)

LW's audio is not quite up to the task - but then, it's not an audio program...

CC Rider
03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't take this as the "gospel" but, in the past when I have needed to sync audio I noticed that the sync is much more reliable when you scrub the timeline back and forth and not so much when you generate a full on preview (backwards from what you might expect I know...). My projects came out pretty much on the money judging the sync by scrubbing and ignoring the audio when I used previews.
Granted I wasn't doing lip sync work but it did sync up with the sound effects etc...
might be worth a test if you can eliminate the step of having to use an external editor...

:D

affloeck
03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
thanks so much for your replies! I guess I will have to find a program like Premiere like you say, since scrubbing the timeline doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone know if this is exclusively Lightwave that you need to use another program to sync to, or are such programs as Maya and 3DS Max the same way?

CC Rider
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
If you have reference video of the actor's recording their lines there is another even better option (you should always do this if possible!)
Import a simple polygon. Map the reference video clip to the surface of the poly and parent the poly to the camera so that it's out of the way (or just put it somewhere you can easily see it and still do your work...). Set the poly up so that it doesn't appear or affect the final render. Use the polygon as a reference monitor which will stay in perfect sync with the animation. If the audio plays back off sync, it won't matter...but you can use the reference monitor to shape the mouth for lip sync.

:D

Wolvy_UK
03-07-2009, 01:19 PM
No need to buy premiere just to do that, just check out this youtube video that shows how to use a free program called jlipsync to make your x sheet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEFIGEf74U

All you have to do is load in your audio ( check if your audio format is supported first, you may have to convert it ), then you will scrub through the audio and when you hear the letters of the words being spoken, you just put letters next to the frame numbers.

E.g, for CAT, over 10 frames might be -
Frame 1 = mouth closed ,frames 2 and 3 =C , AH sound might be frame 4 to 6, 7 to 8 would be T and last frame or two would be mouth closed. When you' ve finished doing that for all your words in jlipsync, you then save out the X sheet which will have all the phonemes plotted for the audio.

Then in lightwave, assuming you' ve made all the morph targets you need first, you just load up the audiio and copy your x sheet, putting your morph target phonemes on the same frame as the x sheet , then it should all match up. You don' t even need the audio loaded once you follow the x sheet.

Heres a tutorial I found that shows how to do lipsync in Blender. Different program but the principles are the same. Can' t find a good free lightwave tute to link to.

http://www.nathandunlap.animadillo.com/tutorials/learningtotalk/lst01.html

If you are learning, this walk cycle tutorial might help too. http://www.nathandunlap.animadillo.com/tutorials.html