PDA

View Full Version : Anime eyes, rigging them and other such stuff.

geothefaust
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey all,

I have an anime character that I am setting up, modeling, texture, rigging, etc.

I'm having some issues with the eyes, as I followed some other techniques that I found on the forums here, but alas, it's not quite what I'm searching for. I'm getting too much distortion on the edges of the eyes with the current set up. The eyes are almond shaped and not spherical. While the iris/pupil are ovoid shaped (vertically so).

Anyone have any pointers for setting up anime eyes or techniques they have used successfully?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hopper
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
William's video on oval eyes may get you what you need. I've used it just playing around with characters.. It seems to work quite well.

How to setup a cartoon oval eye for animation (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/eye.mov)

Right click and save-as...

Enjoy. Hope this helps.

geothefaust
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey Hopper, thanks. :)

I've been watching that video, it's great. I ran some tests to see if I could apply it somehow to the shape I have, but I am coming up empty. Any idea how I could do something with the shape I have? (see the attached .lwo)

Thanks.

evenflcw
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Ah yes, "The Cartoon Eye Setup"!

NT has actually had a printed tutorial on their homepage since long ago, but it was always misslabeled as a "Modeling" tutorial despite atleast my requests to move it to a more appropriate section. Imho it is one of the best tutorials/techniques ever devised for LW. LW lacks lattices, but this technique atleast provides similar functionality for spherical/oval shapes.

If you didn't get the right results, you missed a step or did one wrong. See attachment. I made some slight modifications to the eyesocket, using the bone-deformed eye as reference in modeler (which I saved out using Save Transformed). Having it conform perfectly to your original eye mesh, which did not accommodate a perfect oval-ish eyeball, would be tricky but could perhaps be done by utilizing displacements map to push the details The Cartoon Eye Setup cannot.

Hopper
03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
That's pretty cool evenflcw. Thanks for sharing the scene file. :thumbsup:

geothefaust
03-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks for your help guys. :)

Dan, thanks for the scene! That's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if I really needed to adjust the angle of the eye socket or not to compensate for the curvature of the modified eyeball. I know it was a weird socket. But that makes sense having needed to do that.

Anyway, long story short, I'll use that no doubt coupled with a front projection for the texture map on the eye. I figured I could parent the camera to a null and scale it up/down if I need to animate the iris.

Right on, and again, thanks for the help guys!