PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't it remember?

VTA
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hello,
This happens from time to time and I never know why or how to make it stop. But when I open an object or a scene, Lightwave tells me that it cannot find the surfaces I've used to map my objects with. When it's an object with a lot of surfaces, this gets very annoying.

In Layout, before it goes through the surfaces, it tells me it cannot find the objects that I had put in the scene.

What is happening and how can I make it remember what is contained in the file?

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Vincent

Sekhar
03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Also, check your content path - it might have changed.

Chilton
03-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi,

Another thing you can do is open the scene file with a text editor and take a look around. Our scene files are just text files, so you can go poke around in them pretty easily.

And make sure you make a backup first, in case you accidentally scribble down a small grocery list while you're in there. Not that I'd know anything about that.

-Chilton

VTA
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
First try the obvious.

1. Did you save the object once you've created the textures?
2. Did you then save the scene in Layout?

Sorry if the questions are too noobie, but they are the first things to check. surface information is not saved in the scene file - but rather with the object. So if you change surfaces in Layout, you must also save the object for those surfaces to "stick." Again, sorry if you've already done this.

Hi there.
Yeah, I have the object saved. I even closed the entire app down and opened it again (Modeler) and again was asked to find the surfaces.

As for the content directory, it's always set to one specific folder: Work/3D.

Chilton, I don't really know what I'm looking for in the text editor, but that's really interesting. Looking at the file in that way. I'll have to snoop around a bit more to check it out.
Thank you guys for the advice.
-Vincent

lwanmtr
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Mac configs seem to always get a little munged somehow...I'm always having to reset the scene to perspective because LW always wants to open in the last view used, rather than the default perspective..even though I have clear to default selected in prefs. I often have to navigate to my objects folder because lw will set the object's path to scenes, or wherever it wants...dunno why

JonW
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
This PC thread may help. LW works well only if your organised.
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95293

toby
03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi there.
Yeah, I have the object saved. I even closed the entire app down and opened it again (Modeler) and again was asked to find the surfaces.

As for the content directory, it's always set to one specific folder: Work/3D.

Chilton, I don't really know what I'm looking for in the text editor, but that's really interesting. Looking at the file in that way. I'll have to snoop around a bit more to check it out.
Thank you guys for the advice.
-Vincent
Are your objects under : Work/3D/objects, and your maps under Work/3D/images ?
If not, then the scene's object paths and the objects' texture paths will need to be 'absolute' paths instead of 'relative'. To do this you'll have to assigned them again manually, not when LW asks for them, and resaved. Nothing can change where it lives when you do this though, or you'll have the same problem again. It's better to have Scenes Objects and Images folders directly under the content directory.

VTA
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Are your objects under : Work/3D/objects, and your maps under Work/3D/images ?
If not, then the scene's object paths and the objects' texture paths will need to be 'absolute' paths instead of 'relative'. To do this you'll have to assigned them again manually, not when LW asks for them, and resaved. Nothing can change where it lives when you do this though, or you'll have the same problem again. It's better to have Scenes Objects and Images folders directly under the content directory.

Yes. I make a specific folder for each project, i.e. Work/3D/Mask, with subfolders for Models, Scenes, Rendered and Surfaces within that projects folder.

Sometimes, I keep the Objects and the Scenes in the same folder, but that doesn't seem to matter. For some odd reason a project will just not behave at times and I can't figure out what I had done differently.

I'll try what you'd suggested by redoing the surfaces and saving re-saving.

Thanks for the advice.
-Vincent

BeeVee
03-02-2009, 03:55 PM
The three subdirectories you must have are Images, Objects and Scenes. They have to be named exactly like that.

B

toby
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
If you have your content directory set to 3D, but your objects in 3D/Mask/Objects instead of 3D/Objects, that's where you're getting into trouble. Plus what BeeVee said, because LW looks for those exact names in the exact places.

I don't recommend the absolute path method, sorry I should've said that. Better to change your content directory when you change projects.

Scazzino
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Here's some information about the two different approaches to using the content directory (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html#configSettings), one main content directory, or separate content directories for each project...

:beerchug:

ingo
03-03-2009, 03:05 AM
Just curious, what version of LW are you using ? And does LW ask for ALL textures or just for several specific ones ?

If its the last LW has a problem with foreign characters and long filenames, at least up to version 8.5 . And take a look at the thread Scazzino mentioned, the content directory is an annoying thing that you should handle carefully.