PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 and DFX offer have to reinstall?????

badllarma
08-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Right here it goes I bought my upgrade and DFX from a UK dealer and during ordering I was asked my serial which I gave then plus the address I'm registered with my current copy of Lightwave 7.5 duo dongle.

When the DFX box arrived it had another copy of 7.5 duo in it without the dongle of course.BUT with a different serial number to the version I'm currently running

Now I've just read from another group I have to use this NEW version of 7.5 register it etc... as this is the one my LW 8 upgrade will work with!
Please tell me this is not true as I've already registed the DFX with my current version of Lightwave 7.5 and in other words I'll have to uninstall 7.5 install a new version of the same bloody program LW 7.5 so when my LW 8 is avalible it will work:confused:
Will the new version of 7.5 work with my current dongle????

please some one explain this one for me I thought the new version of 7.5 that came with DFX was just in the box as standard in case a LW user did not have the duo discs:confused:

I'd hate to be on my current version of LW when the LW 8 upgrade comes out only to find it will not work with it:mad:

philip
08-15-2003, 01:58 AM
no, it's not all that complicated. I too bought the update, and since I was using a parallel dongle, I ordered a duo dongle exchange. The day the package arrived I just did unplug the parallel dongle, plugged in the USB dongle, installed the new sentinel drivers and started LW, which gave me the hardware lock ID which in turn I did email to my reseller to receive mypermanent license.
Until that one arrives, I will still use the parallel dongle.

badllarma
08-15-2003, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the reply philip, but thats the thing I already have LW 7.5 with the USB duo dongle so it seems a bit daft for me to uninstall to reinstall the same thing but just with a different serial number:confused:

philip
08-15-2003, 02:24 AM
yeah, that was my point: just exchange the dongles, once you have your permanent license, drop it in the lightwave\programs folder and use your new dongle

Simon
08-15-2003, 03:35 AM
My UK dealer (Onevideo) specifically told me I need to install the LW disk that comes with it and register it, so that I can get the version 8 download when it's available.

Simon.

colkai
08-15-2003, 04:30 AM
Badllama,
No - no no no no ;)
All I did was install DFX+ with my current LW setup.
Contacted Eyeon on the web for the registration - job done.

I did wonder if you had to install the new serial no, but seeing as the DFX is tied to your dongle, not the LW CD then I figured nah! :p (Had a similar thing with the LW6 beta - ended up with a few CD's - but only ever the one dongle)

Had no problems at all.

I think why one-video are saying you need to use the LW7.5C serial from the CD is for those upgrading from an older version of LW. If you are already running LW7.5c then it's pretty academic.

------
EDIT:
Have just talked to a VERY confused person at one video who think all matters related to the upgrade/LW8 download should be handled via Newtek. Suggested I try the LW8 download now with my old serial no - heh - I wish :D
I do think the CD you install Lightwave from isn't as important as having a VALID serial number for 7.5 - obviously you can't use a 5.6 serial no to gain access. After all, the version you currently have installed is licensed so I fail to see a problem.

With any luck, Proton, Deuce or Chuck can wade in here with some clarification.

badllarma
08-15-2003, 06:59 AM
cheers colkai

Well if onevideo are confused I think i'll stay as I as until LW 8 comes out as I have to agree it seems a little strange to go from one 7.5 to another :( when both are the same.

I can see there point of view for users of the older dongle though.

I'd like to see that link to LW 8 BTW :D

you going tomorrow? If so i'll see you there:D

Anttij77
08-15-2003, 11:28 AM
I too bought my upgrade from OneVideo.net, and I did re-install and re-register... But the "new" serial I received, was actually the same as my old one...

Well, i hope all this is resolved before LW8 is available for download!

colkai
08-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by badllarma
cheers colkai

you going tomorrow? If so i'll see you there:D

Abso-fraggin-poso-lutely ;)

Yup in other words :D - See ya tomorrow

As to the whole LW8 update thingy whatsisname ...Seeing as Newtek have your existing LW7.5 serial no, I would imagine if you can quote your 'new' and old ones, it should be enough.

Chuck - care to jump in here ???

Stewpot
08-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi badllarma,

I think you may find you need to register the new serial number with NT Europe.

I Upgraded to the duo from parallel PC, (different, I know), but I left the old version, (7.5c), on the PC which gave a different lock number with the new dongle. Registered both under the same new serial number and respective lock IDs.

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that: when I received my permanent keys, at the beginning of the e-mail it said quote: "You are now the registered user of LightWave 7 Duo serial # ...".

So it seems there is a need to register the new serial number.

CoryC
08-15-2003, 06:25 PM
There has been some conflicting info about whether DFX+ works with LW's parallel dongle. I installed, registered, and used DFX+ today with the parallel dongle so no you don't have to switch to USB if you don't want to.

colkai
08-16-2003, 03:32 AM
Yeah,
See, this is what I'm wondering.
I didn't get a duo dongle, just the software upgrade, so I'm still using my old dongle.
I figure, (I may be wrong), that when it comes time to upgrade, simply quoting your dongle ID, old serial and new serial in an e-mail should be sufficient.
Doesn't make much sense to re-install the exact same version.
I really can't see that the license key would be needed for the new one.
However, If I get time tomorrow, I may install the other CD in a different area - Then i can register that without upsetting my current LW7.5C installation.
Dunno, may be better to e-mail Chuck on this I think - chances are there are a lot of folks in a similar situation.

Trulsi
08-16-2003, 05:46 AM
Just register your new serial online. (as an upgrade from 7.0 to 7.5 if you're upgrading from 7.5). There is no need to install from the new CD's.

colkai
08-17-2003, 03:00 AM
Confirmed.
Just did the same myself.