PDA

View Full Version : Installing LightWave 9.6

belanagy
03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Ok, this was probably asked a hundred times:
How do I install LightWave 9.6 without affecting any existing configuration?

Currently, I am using LightWave 9.5 with LWCAD 3 and everything works fine.
I would like to install the latest version of LightWave without messing up this setup.

My questions are:
Do I have to install the Sentinel protection driver (again)?

Do I have to install LightWave 9.6 to the default folder?

And my last question, (I asked this before and was explained, but I am an idiot) by retargeting my shortcut from the desktop, how is that going to place the new configuration files into a different folder?

I still do not understand, what do I have to change here?

Target:
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\modeler.exe"
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwav.exe"

I greatly appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!
I think these questions should have a permanent place on the Forum or included in a how to install pdf file along with all the installation issues….

Hopper
03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
1. Do I have to install the Sentinel protection driver (again)?
- Nope

2. Do I have to install LightWave 9.6 to the default folder?
- Nope

3. By retargeting my shortcut from the desktop, how is that going to place the new configuration files into a different folder?
- Create a cusom configuration directory and add the directory to your shortcut.

Example:
I have LW9.6 installed in C:\Dev\LW96. I created a directory under it called "Configs", therefore my new shortcut is as follows:

Target:
C:\Dev\LW96\Programs\modeler.exe -cC:\Dev\LW96\Configs

Start In:
C:\Dev\LW96\Programs

Enjoy.

p.s. - Remember - no space between the "-c" and the directory. And if your config directory has spaces, wrap the entire directory path in quotes. And you need to create the configuration folder before you use it - it will not create one for you.

belanagy
03-01-2009, 11:35 AM
hi Hopper,

I thank you very much for your reply!!!!!!

I think I am getting there…

So, the installation would be:

Without opening LightWave 9.6!!!
1, Install the software to whatever location.

2, Add a custom configuration folder into that installation folder.

3, Create new shortcuts for LightWave 9.6 on the desktop.

4, Retarget the shortcuts to the custom configuration folder by adding -cC:\...location… info in the Target window.

5, Open and close LightWave 9.6, doing it so the new configuration files will be created automatically.

Did I get it right?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Hopper
03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a plan. :) :thumbsup:

belanagy
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
thanks man!!!!

jasonwestmas
03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\Configs"

I've never been able to redirect my configs to this path for some reason, never been able to get this stuff to work. Any idea why? did I miss something or is the path too long? Windows just keeps telling me that my path is incorrect.

IMI
03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\Configs"

I've never been able to redirect my configs to this path for some reason, never been able to get this stuff to work. Any idea why? did I miss something or is the path too long? Windows just keeps telling me that my path is incorrect.

You're missing a couple of quotation marks and a space.
Try these:

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\Configs"
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\modeler.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LW9.3.1\Programs\Configs"
************************************************** ************************************************

In my case it's:
"F:\Program Files\NewTek\LW_3D_9.6\Programs\modeler.exe" -c"F:\Program Files\NewTek\LW_3D_9.6\config_lightwave"

(For Modeler, similar for Layout - only the .exe file name changes):

"F:\Program Files\NewTek\LW_3D_9.6\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"F:\Program Files\NewTek\LW_3D_9.6\config_lightwave"

There should be a space after ".exe" and between "-c", quotes after ".exe" and quotes between "-c" and "C"

Jeez, this is confusing to type out. ;)

EDIT:
Ignore the difference between actual folder names - I very rarely use any default settings, and almost always rename my installation folders as I see fit for all programs.

EDIT EDIT:
Sure would be nice if we could simply tell LW where to put the configs in the same way we tell it where to look for content...

Hopper
03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Basically, IMI is saying if you have spaces in the directory name, you need to enclose them in quotes.

-cX:\MyDirectoryNoSpaces = works.

-cX:\My Directory With Spaces = does not.

-c"X:\My Directory With Spaces" = works.

jasonwestmas
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
OH! two separate sets of quotes with the -c between the two sets. NOW I get it. Thanks Guys, rockn'roll.

IMI
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
No problem. Did it work?
Sometimes Windoze won't accept something being pasted into the target field if it doesn't like it, at least in Vista, but will after a few attempts, and I've no idea why.

jasonwestmas
03-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Yep, worked perfectly on my XP machine. I'm using 9.3 and 9.6 together because of 3rd party plugins of course. I haven't had to do it on my other machines yet.

Thanks again!