PDA

View Full Version : Car Paint node - what am I missing.

gordonrobb
02-28-2009, 03:31 AM
I am dabbling with the carpaint node.

I am liking a lot of the settings, but cannot seem to find the one which will reduce how reflective the material is.

Here is what I've got so far.

Anyone tell me what setting I need to tweak to reduce the reflectiveness?

realgray
02-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Have you tried playing with the roughness for the paint and the clearcoat?

Oluwole Aduwo
02-28-2009, 05:41 AM
please could you upload a screen shot of your settings, i to have some issues with car paint

IMI
02-28-2009, 05:54 AM
The "Paint Specularity" parameter seems to be the control for the reflection amount.
You could also use other nodes plugged into the Paint Specularity input to control it, reduce it, clip it, whatever.

rsfd
02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi,
the "LightWave_96_WhatsNew_Guide.pdf" offers a good basic overview about the carpaint material node (download from ones own account download page).
Also, William Vaughan did intro videos to CarPaint and Flakes (9.6 video page).
The clearcoat basically offers the environment reflection and there are various scalar inputs (paint<>clearcoat, clearcoat roughness) to control reflection amount / reflection fresnel via curve, gradient and/or multiply nodes.

gordonrobb
02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Ah, I'll take a look at that.

Partly sussed it.

The Pain <-> Clearcoat setting affects the overall shineyness.
The paint spec and paint<->spec settings affect how metalic the paint looks like.

Looking forward to diggin into to more.

the attachements are Flat Red, Flat Red a little shineyer, then the same settings but with a little metalic look.

jasonwestmas
02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
I noticed your reflections seem to be all blurred the same amount. I think it would increase the photo-realism (if that's what you want) if you either used a real object to reflect with reflection blur turned on, or use a reflection map that wasn't so consistently blurred. Also, when you have no surrounding environment but have a reflection map, it's gonna look awkward no matter what you do.

gordonrobb
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
The surface is reflecting the HDR map. Not sure if blurring was turned on here or not.

IMI
02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
The Pain <-> Clearcoat setting affects the overall shineyness.
The paint spec and paint<->spec settings affect how metalic the paint looks like.

Yeah I messed around with it some after reading your original post, and I found that by adjusting the paint specularity parameter I could have complete reflection or none. Since Specularity in LW nodes is generally "reflection", I assumed that was it.
The Clearcoat though does seem to have more effect where it comes to reflecting environment.
I don't know if it applies in this node or not, but some of the material nodes in LW are fairly sensitive to object size relative to grid size, relative to distance from origin, so you might want to consider that while experimenting.

RudySchneider
02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Clicking on "Limit Dynamic Range" in the Render tab of Render Globals should help to remove some of that GI noise.

Lewis
02-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Gordon

you might want to check THIS topic : http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87844&highlight=Carpaint

There we talked about CARpaint material, Antti explained some things and I've posted silver car paint material and few other guys chimed int to talk and test :).

cheers

gordonrobb
03-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Cheers Lewis.