PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX questions

Mr Rid
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Am new to FFX and am immediately encountering oddness in 9.6.

1. Am sure I'm missing the obvious but how do you get the hair to follow Layout guides? I just pushed the guides back on this bird and hit F9 and the hair appears to be ignoring the direction of the guides. GL shows a different direction than the render.

2. Am using Strand Modeler on a 1 meter ball set to 'By Area Scaled.' Why is 0% exactly the same as 100%?

3. After adding a guide, am unable to delete it. Clicking the 'delete guide' repeatedly does not do anything(?).

4. Why does a FiberFX Strand Modeler appear in Layout when it does not seem to do anything?

5. Why don't the fibers in GL update automatically as you change Fiber values?

6. I cant figure out why sometimes loading saved FFX settings is just not working. The current settings are unaffected when I load previously saved settings(?). Sometmes I can click around on settings and it updates, and other times it doesnt.

7. Not sure if there is a specific thing I am doing yet, but FFX crashes LW a lot.

UnCommonGrafx
02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
These things seemed to have been hosed once it went gold. Two builds before gold, ffx was golden.

SplineGod
02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
For me its always been hosed and each build simply changed what was hosed. I havent had a chance to dig into it again and see what it will do. Ive managed at special times to get it to produce some decent results but the instability and crashing never seemed to be far away.

Mr Rid
02-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Another thing is, how do you access the "edges' setting under FFX, geometry panel? It is always greyed out for me.

bazsa73
02-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi Mr Rid,
Check the kinkyness. It's set to 100% as default.
And all your ranting is true. I experience the same problems.
As for deleting guides, you have to SHIFT+left click all the nodes on a strand so each is turn to yellow and then you can remove it. And FFx crashes also when you drive some value vi weight maps and you change the weight values modeler will crash. Or layout. Or both.

Mr Rid
02-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Hi Mr Rid,
Check the kinkyness. It's set to 100% as default.
And all your ranting is true. I experience the same problems.
As for deleting guides, you have to SHIFT+left click all the nodes on a strand so each is turn to yellow and then you can remove it. And FFx crashes also when you drive some value vi weight maps and you change the weight values modeler will crash. Or layout. Or both.

Thanks, I just realized the kink was pushing the fibers way away from the guides. So GL doesnt reflect kink.

SHIFT+left click, and SHIFT_left click and drag work to select...

...mmm, so there's no undo in Modeler Strand Editing like in Layout?

And Layout Guide edits wont save & load along with the FFX settings?

...and now FFX wont render on the network. May be a Butterfly thing. Anyone else having network issues?

SplineGod
02-28-2009, 04:18 AM
We didnt have much luck last time I used FFX getting it to render over a network.

Mr Rid
02-28-2009, 11:24 AM
We didnt have much luck last time I used FFX getting it to render over a network.

Am wondering what 'much luck' means. That sounds like maybe something partly worked? I dont get any errors, FFX just does not render at all over a network.

IMI
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
For me its always been hosed and each build simply changed what was hosed. I havent had a chance to dig into it again and see what it will do. Ive managed at special times to get it to produce some decent results but the instability and crashing never seemed to be far away.

Ok so it's not just me then. Cool, one less thing to worry about.
Best thing I ever managed to create with it anyway (in between crashes, that is) was straw, not fur. Were I assembling an army of scarecrows, it would be useful.

SplineGod
02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Actually much luck was a nice way of saying no luck. I did manage to get it to work enough in a couple of cases but each build seemed to exchange one set of problems for another and then sometimes old problems would reappear. We ended up having to go back to using Sasquatch.

Mr Rid
03-01-2009, 05:06 PM
This is just ridiculous. So FFX yet another new feature in LW that is useless as a production tool. How long was FFX betatested? Ive read thru several threads and no one mentioned a network problem. It's as if the majority on the forum are hobbyists who are not doing any real work but just playing around with balls and simple tests. I recently had some time to start going thru the latest big features and they all have major problems. Collada doesnt work at all, FBX has issues, and dynamic parenting is useless. I never understand why NT cant just do it right. I mean, I cant get away with doing my job halfway. And fans wonder why LW is so often regarded as more of a toy than a serious production tool. I have a hard time expecting Core do be any different.

SplineGod
03-01-2009, 07:49 PM
It is a bit stranger to me as well. FFX was being sold for quite awhile before Nt picked it up. Including the time for beta testing etc. its been around for awhile.
I guess the focus went from 9 to core at some point...hard to say.
As far as networking goes we used it or tried to on several shots. It was pretty unstable though I managed to actually get some things to work sometimes. Mostly we did local renders until the render farm came in and couldnt get it to work so we went back to using Sas.

Mr Rid
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
When I enable the FFX saver buffer under the ETC tab and hit F9, it only renders a sliver for some reason.

The FFX buffer saves the FFX as expected with local renders only.

But then the FFX depth buffer never saves locally or as a network render.

mav3rick
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
It is a bit stranger to me as well. FFX was being sold for quite awhile before Nt picked it up. Including the time for beta testing etc. its been around for awhile.
I guess the focus went from 9 to core at some point...hard to say.
As far as networking goes we used it or tried to on several shots. It was pretty unstable though I managed to actually get some things to work sometimes. Mostly we did local renders until the render farm came in and couldnt get it to work so we went back to using Sas.

did you fogbug bugs regarding your problems with ffx during beta cycle? ... if not do that now .

SplineGod
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Sure did but not thru fogbug since I couldnt include content at the time. Im pretty sure NT is aware of the problems. :)

Mr Rid
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
did you fogbug bugs regarding your problems with ffx during beta cycle? ... if not do that now .

Personally I dont have time to mess with betas much as I am too busy trying to get work done. I need working tools. I can report this now but I dont see how betatesters could have missed any of this. And I am wondering if anything is going to get seriously fixed in Lightwave, or is all dev going into Core at this point?

IMI
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Personally I dont have time to mess with betas much as I am too busy trying to get work done. I need working tools. I can report this now but I dont see how betatesters could have missed any of this. And I am wondering if anything is going to get seriously fixed in Lightwave, or is all dev going into Core at this point?

According to Jay Roth in one of the myriad of CORE threads - the one he started, "More from the Core", I think, there will be no further development in the LW 9 series, although there will be bug fix releases if they deem it necessary.
Since FFX is *supposed* to work, I would assume fixing it should be one of those bug fixes.
Then again, maybe it IS only supposed to be used for fuzzy balls that don't move...

EDIT:
Quote from the first post in More From the Core (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95480)

As you know, we recently shipped LightWave 9.6, and you've told us that it's, hands-down, the very best version of LightWave we've ever-shipped. Of course, no software product is ever perfect, so we will continue to support LightWave 9.x by providing technical support, and free bug-fix releases as deemed necessary by NewTek. However, we do not plan any new feature releases in the 9.x series. All the improvements that we have planned for LightWave will be offered as part of the HardCORE membership program.

Matt
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Another thing is, how do you access the "edges' setting under FFX, geometry panel? It is always greyed out for me.

Edges get locked the moment you start doing any guide brushing in Layout, this was because it was crashing if you change it after brushing, so it was locked out.

You can still further smooth your fibers using the 'Fiber Smooth' setting, but only up to a point.

Matt
03-02-2009, 07:01 PM
but I dont see how betatesters could have missed any of this.

We didn't :(

Mr Rid
03-04-2009, 08:53 PM
The Layout guide edit tools work nicely and seem like all you ever need to edit guides. So why the hell invent a completely different set of guide edit tools for strand modeler that are far more awkward and convoluted, and with no Undo?

I tried to have 'feathers' lay down relatively flat against the poly normals and sweep toward the tail of a simple bird mesh. Very easy with Layout guide edit but this does not generate geometry that I need to do it right. Strand Modeler just way more tedious to try to do this with and just doesnt work for this. Why isnt there a simple damn 'conform/rotate to normals' value?

Am not getting the Khalid feather example using UVbias to work (post #24).
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88987

I know I can do this with random cloner, but was just looking for any possible use of FFX.

SplineGod
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I would definately like something less clunky then the strand modeler. Sensi looks to have something that may be a solution.

Mr Rid
03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Well we finally got FFX to render on a network. It seems to have been Butterfly not seeing the right config.

probiner
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm not having a good time with fiberFX too. In my cay the guides are followed in strange way.

Turn the "Volume Only" i think its what is missing in that bird image.

Keep posting problems and solutions :D

Mr Rid
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Am curious if anyone else gets this to work.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/ae1pr8iqy0.wmv

In the example, he just drags the UVbias down and the fibers immediately conform perfectly to the normals of a sphere.

But when I try the same thing the fibers tend to align and flatten on one axis.

I encounter the same problem with his other tut-

This test and given the FFX manual description of the UVbias tool "laying a fiber up or down against its underlying polygon" indicates that this tool is something else that worked only in some previous build(?). Its frustrating because it looks like the best way to get feathers to lay down on a mesh in one click-n-drag as opposed to trying to mess with several awkward Strand Modeler guides on a more complex shape.

dyls_E
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
i really like the results of the ffx, but if i click anywhere on the screen other then the ffx menu when using it lightwave crashes on me, all i can do is use keyboard short cuts to save and render, if i want to move a camera or a bone, forget about it. am i the only one who gets that problem?

erikals
04-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Mr Rid, was this a bug /reported as a bug? afaik, NT is looking into FFX bugs atm.

Mr Rid
04-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Definite bug. I have not reported.

erikals
04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
6. I cant figure out why sometimes loading saved FFX settings is just not working. The current settings are unaffected when I load previously saved settings(?). Sometmes I can click around on settings and it updates, and other times it doesnt.

Mr Rid, FogBugzed this, but i was told they needed content files and steps.

https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=30472_2mdl

erikals
04-24-2010, 12:24 PM
SplineGod, i FogBugzed the "FiberFX problems rendering over a network"
however they needed content and steps...

https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=30473_k3f8

erikals
04-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Am curious if anyone else gets this to work.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/ae1pr8iqy0.wmv

In the example, he just drags the UVbias down and the fibers immediately conform perfectly to the normals of a sphere.

But when I try the same thing the fibers tend to align and flatten on one axis.

I encounter the same problem with his other tut-

This test and given the FFX manual description of the UVbias tool "laying a fiber up or down against its underlying polygon" indicates that this tool is something else that worked only in some previous build(?). Its frustrating because it looks like the best way to get feathers to lay down on a mesh in one click-n-drag as opposed to trying to mess with several awkward Strand Modeler guides on a more complex shape.

fixed?
https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=30471_mvpe

Mr Rid
04-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Mr Rid, FogBugzed this, but i was told they needed content files and steps.

https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=30472_2mdl

Well, theres nuthin to post. Its one of those on and off things. Like my vertigo.

nebelis
06-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Can you clarify on the networl problems you had and how you configured them? It seems Im having the same kind of problems...

Mr Rid
06-29-2010, 12:24 AM
I dont have Butterfly now and dont remember where you specify the file path. But the render controller needs to be set to access the same LW config that Layout is using (multiple licenses should all be using the same config).

This caused many controller errors in the past if everyone is not on the exact same plugin page. Someone will add and use a plugin locally then send scenes over to the controller that does not see the new plugin, and then wonder why a bunch of error messages crop up.

3DBob
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi All,

I'm a very big fan of sasquatch and have been using it for years, however I really needed reflections and stuff for this character and thought I would give FFX ago despite peoples apparent issues.

With a little bit of tweaking and using some 3DCoat texture driven fur - I wanted to let people know, I have had a very smooth time working with FFX. No crashes and reasonable 5 mins a frame at 720p on an old octacore with non-interpolated radiosity 2 bounce.

I have been using FFX for about 15 hours.

Just got a bit of specular flicker on one of these renders that I do not expect to be overly difficult to resolve.

I am using 9.6 (winXP 32bit) for the lake scene and 9.6.1 (WinXP 64) for the other.

3DBob

erikals
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
thanks for testing,

but i'm not so sure though, on tests i did earlier the specular flicker couldn't be removed.
(the bug has been reported 4-5 months ago or so,...)

3DBob
07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
No specular flicker in one of those renders there - it was before I tweaked it.

3DBob

WCameron
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Nice! I'd love if you could whip up a tutorial on how you use FFX (espeically with 3DCoat!), that would be sweet.
is the specular flicker due to the specularity of the underlying geometry perhaps? I kinda got the impression the chest hair was thinner than the longer hair around the edges and arms/legs etc.

- Will.