PDA

View Full Version : 3ds exporting

lwanmtr
02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Ok, I know no one uses .3ds anymore (or so i thought), but I have received a request for a 3ds version of one of my objects with maps....

I tried to export the object from modeler as 3ds , but get an error saying it exceeds the 65k poly/vert limit...ok, so i split the object up and try again..no such luck.

Has anyone had such luck? Should I just export a .obj for them?

archijam
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Accutrans can split up your object .. but remember .3DS supports only tri's, so all your quads will be crushed. I try to avoid it these days, even .DXF's i like better (but then you have texture issues ..)

.OBJ it. :)

lwanmtr
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Like I said..it was an odd request...I could see fbx, dxf..even maya..but 3ds..hehe
I dont have accutrans (dont even think they make a mac version)

archijam
02-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I could have sworn there was a plugin on flay that could at least split up your layers into different files .. can't find it.

I keep my bootcamp install for 3 reasons:
AutoCAD
ArcGIS
Accutrans :thumbsup:

MicroMouse
02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
If you export to 3DS files, texture file names should adhere to the old 8.3 limits.

That is 8 characters maximum for the file name and 3 characters maximum for the file extension.

AccuTrans will write texture file names of any length to the 3DS files as some programs read long file names. 3DS Max does not read long file names.

Wayne

IMI
02-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Might as well go with OBJ. I would think any app that can read 3ds files could read OBJ files. Unless it's a very old version of max they want to use it in, in which case they'd need an OBJ import plugin.
The key thing would be having an mtl file with it, and probably having the textures, the mtl file and the obj file all in the same folder.

lwanmtr
02-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah, just went with obj, which is easy cause lw exports mtl files now. I also made an fbx as well..and then loaded it into Maya (took a looooooooooong time to import)..hehe.

IMI
02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Did it load into maya with the textures attached correctly as fbx?

lwanmtr
02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Sadly, nope. Seems the only surface settings that came through were color..although I haven dug too deep into it as yet.

But, parenting, pivot positions, lights and camera all came in fine it seems.

IMI
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Interesting. Thanks, just curious. :)

lwanmtr
02-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I plan to do a little more on that as I will probably update my stuff on Turbo Squid to have Maya versions..and it would be nice if I didnt have to do much fixin. Would be cool if someon could write app specific exporters for maya or max..that would be able to handle all the conversions of units, surface settings, etc...hehe.

archijam
03-01-2009, 01:23 AM
textures should work, might have to fix the rotation tho. strange.

can't remember if uv's are supported.