PDA

View Full Version : Will LW OpenGL move towards SLI?

Dexter2999
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not a gamer so I never got into the whole SLI thing. But from what I understand you bridge two cards together for increased performace through a parrallel connection.

I read where more and more app's are trying to take advantage of the increased GPU power on the cards. I was just wondering if there what the probability of finding a useful increase in practical LW work by using SLI technology. I mean we are going to see huge gains in redering just in 64bit. I was wondering if the modelling and layout display modes will see any benefit from SLI?

EXOSOUL
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
IMO if it works like gaming is sooooo not worth it.. first of all SLI = no multi monitors, it only works with one.. then it only gives you 15-20 more performance for double the price.. I rather have two cards working individually than in SLI/Crossfire mode

Dexter2999
02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Again, I don't know anything about SLI. You say no multiple monitors, so, you can't set your display mode to "span" so it treats two monitors as one giant screen and still run SLI?

clagman
02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Doubtful. I believe that in SLI mode, only one video card produces a signal for the monitor.

IMI
02-27-2009, 05:06 PM
The latest nvidia drivers for the 8 series and up supposedly support multiple monitor use in OpenGL in SLI: LINKY (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_182.06_whql.html).

Supports NVIDIA SLI Multi-monitor support, giving you the ability to use two monitors with your GeForce graphics cards in SLI mode.

I would love to try it but I put a 3rd party cooler on my 8800 GTS, which takes up a whole extra slot more than the usual two, so I don't have room for another one.