PDA

View Full Version : Live Sync and Live Mesh as they relate to Lightwave

meatycheesyboy
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
This maybe something completely obvious that people have been doing for awhile but it's a revelation to me.

Lately I have been using Live Mesh (www.mesh.com), a new cloud based file synchronization service by Microsoft. What Mesh does is it keeps all the files in a particular directory exactly the same across multiple computers. I've been using it for projects I've been working on so that I could seemlessly move between my desktop, laptop and work computer without ever having to transfer files on a thumb drive or external hardrive, while always having the latest version of all my project files.

It just occured to me yesterday that I could be doing the samething with configs and plugins, so that whenever I add a useful plugin to my computer at home, the next time I go to work or use my laptop, it will magically be there, ready to go for me. Same goes for menu buttons.

The biggest problem I'm forseeing right now is panel layouts. At home, I work on 3 monitors, at work I use 2, and my laptop is only 1, all with varying resolutions. Because of this I'm not sure how to handle the panel layouts in modeler and layout so that they don't get messed up when I go from computer to computer.

Does anyone work this way? Or does anyone have a solution to the problem I'm seeing. I'm going to set it up this weekend I think but would love to hear any thoughts you all may have.

Just to elaborate on Mesh a bit more, it is very similar to Live Sync, another service from Microsoft. The big difference between the two is Sync does not offer cloud storage and Mesh has a 5 GB cap.

steamthunk
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I've been using Mesh for a few months. It's not bad and generally beats shuffling things around manually although I find the syncing on the slow side if you're syncing in bulk. I haven't thought to use the storage as a config storage medium.

meatycheesyboy
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
The speed of the syncing doesn't generally bother me. I live about an hour away from work so it's usually plenty of time for the files to update at home and vice/versa. I still can't think of a way to get around the screen resolution differences though. If I could get around that, I think it would be a really great way to deal with configs. I could ensure then that all my setups no matter where I am always have the same keyboard shortcuts, menu layouts, custom button sets, plugins, etc.