PDA

View Full Version : what is mirage 1.0

marko
08-14-2003, 04:50 PM
http://www.bauhaussoftware.com./

prospector
08-14-2003, 05:04 PM
there is another thread about this and no-one seems to answer that one either.:(

somekind of replacement for Aura?
free for Aura VT LW users?

WilliamVaughan
08-14-2003, 05:39 PM
It's what Aura used to be....

prospector
08-14-2003, 11:32 PM
I see the address is in San Antonio,
An offshoot of Newtek?

Sub corporation?

because of this article;http://www.dvformat.com/2003/08_aug/news/bauhaus030808.htm

they must be getting the names of the owners of NewTek Aura, LightWave and Video Toaster.

So is Newtek sending them out?

policarpo
08-15-2003, 12:19 AM
bauhaus is it's own entity.

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/history.html

Mirage will be marketed through them only. :)

GruvSyco
08-15-2003, 12:35 AM
CG Channel has a blurb (http://www.cgchannel.de/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=210) with a screenshot. Looks just like Aura

Original1
08-15-2003, 12:52 AM
The Mirage Pre-Release ships on Aug 11, 2003, for existing customers of Newtek Aura, Video Toaster, and Lightwave. Mirage v1.0 ships on October 15th, 2003.
huh?:confused:

shermanlu
08-15-2003, 01:55 AM
could any one in NT gives us an explanation...is this another "LUX-liked" incident??? or this is part of NT marketing strategy???

Yog
08-15-2003, 03:26 AM
The original developers of Aura decided they could do better for themselves and their product by going alone.

As always the details of the split are confidential, but Newtek did manage to negotiate that Aura will still be bundled with future versions of the VT, although Newtek will no longer be selling it as a seperate product. More info can be found on the Aura section of these forums.
What is less clear is whether Newtek managed to negotiate for just the last release of Aura (v2.5) to be boundled with future versions of VT, or whether they managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat and negotiate for future versions of Aura/ Mirage to be boundled with VT (I'm more doubtful on this option).

Some points to speculate on (if you are that way inclined) :

- If Newtek did manage to negotiate for future versions of Aura to be bundled with VT, does the name change to Mirage mean that Aura is dead and so the agreement ends ?

- Those conspiracy theorists amongst you will notice that soon after the split a once mainly dormant software has now suddenly gained a raft of new useful features, (shades of Modo).

- As DFX+ has a painting modual, and as Newtek seem to be very buddy with Eyeon, does this mean that this is Newtek has already started to hedge it's bets on a complete boundled replacement to Aura ?

These and other questions ?

Chuck
08-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Yog
The original developers of Aura decided they could do better for themselves and their product by going alone.

As always the details of the split are confidential, but Newtek did manage to negotiate that Aura will still be bundled with future versions of the VT, although Newtek will no longer be selling it as a seperate product. More info can be found on the Aura section of these forums.
What is less clear is whether Newtek managed to negotiate for just the last release of Aura (v2.5) to be boundled with future versions of VT, or whether they managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat and negotiate for future versions of Aura/ Mirage to be boundled with VT (I'm more doubtful on this option).

Some points to speculate on (if you are that way inclined) :

- If Newtek did manage to negotiate for future versions of Aura to be bundled with VT, does the name change to Mirage mean that Aura is dead and so the agreement ends ?

- Those conspiracy theorists amongst you will notice that soon after the split a once mainly dormant software has now suddenly gained a raft of new useful features, (shades of Modo).

- As DFX+ has a painting modual, and as Newtek seem to be very buddy with Eyeon, does this mean that this is Newtek has already started to hedge it's bets on a complete bundled replacement to Aura ?

These and other questions ?

Hi, Yog!

How's Sothoth doing these days? ;)

If you'd just take a moment and look for easily available facts you'd save posting groundless speculations and your questions would have been answered. We posted a press release regarding the change in our alliance with TVPaint, the developers of Aura, last May, after all:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/05-08-03a.html

It is worth noting that under our prior agreements NewTek had in fact provided assistance in laying the groundwork for taking "Aura" multi-platform.

Yes, Aura will continue to advance and to be a part of NewTek's product line as an integrated module; yes, folks who have standalone Aura can expect upgrade opportunities as well; yes, we actually mentioned the re-branding in the press release so speculation on a name change affecting the agreements is incorrect and very obviously unwarranted as anyone who has been paying attention or took a moment to check would know.

Those who prefer reality to conspiracy theories may have noted that LightWave is not remotely dormant and NewTek is in fact adding a raft of new useful features to our Emmy-winning 3D application as we speak.

prospector
08-15-2003, 09:27 AM
See what you started Marko :D

The conspiracies are' flyin now:)

you must have had visions of this while sitting on the grassy knoll in Dallas....;)

rabid pitbull
08-15-2003, 09:53 AM
I wonder if this new app will actually have a functional LW viewer plugin. Aura 2.5b sure doesn't....:rolleyes: Main reason I bought this app was for that one highly advertised feature. Then what happens after NT gets some extra last minute cash out of us LW users they dump the product.

Nice plan guys, really made me less loyal with that move.

mattclary
08-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Chuck
Hi, Yog!

How's Sothoth doing these days? ;)

Another Lovecraft fan, I see. :)

Chuck
08-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by rabid pitbull
I wonder if this new app will actually have a functional LW viewer plugin. Aura 2.5b sure doesn't....:rolleyes: Main reason I bought this app was for that one highly advertised feature. Then what happens after NT gets some extra last minute cash out of us LW users they dump the product.

Nice plan guys, really made me less loyal with that move.

You are making a false assumption. We have not dumped Aura. We will make sure that our Aura users, both those who have Aura as an integrated part of our video products and those who purchased standalone Aura, receive upgrades and enhancements. What changed is simply that we no longer market the standalone version, instead concentrating our marketing efforts on the products we develop internally, VT and LightWave, while still bringing our users the benefit of our partnership with TVPaint, Inc.

rabid pitbull
08-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Chuck
You are making a false assumption. We have not dumped Aura. We will make sure that our Aura users, both those who have Aura as an integrated part of our video products and those who purchased standalone Aura, receive upgrades and enhancements. What changed is simply that we no longer market the standalone version, instead concentrating our marketing efforts on the products we develop internally, VT and LightWave, while still bringing our users the benefit of our partnership with TVPaint, Inc.

Well that is nice to know.:rolleyes: The big problem is that the product NT sold me doesn't function as advertised, in fact it is a buggy app when used with LW. When i say it was dumped basically I bought the product, and then within days a announcement of the split. Basically now any "fix" that would have been completed when on the NT team is gone. The only way I will possibly get a fully functional working app is to upgrade it... maybe. Not too interested in paying twice to get proper functionality.

I would probably not be complaining if it actually worked as advertised, but it doesn't and the timing of it all was a little wierd. By the way I have been in contact with both newtek support and tvpaint support, neither could resolve these problems. Problems that are widely reported...

Well that is how I feel and having said my peace will just accept that sh!t happens and this isn't going to be fixed.

Original1
08-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by rabid pitbull

Well that is how I feel and having said my peace will just accept that sh!t happens and this isn't going to be fixed.

Well I have both a stand alone copy and it bundled into VT2,
the Lightwave object plug in is a bit idiosyncratic, and there has been a long standing bug between it and KeFramED neither of which got fixed. C'est La Vie.

Well within a few days we will know, The Prerelease version of Mirage will be available next week.

The Standalone version is rumoured to be Dual Platform Windows and OSX, if the pricing is reasonable for the upgrade I for one would buy it to be able to work cross platform MAC and PC.

Aura has always been the poor relation of the Newtek stable, if the seperation makes Mirage a stronger sibling by it been stand alone thats a good thing.

Would this mean the VT3 in europe would ship with Mirage since neither product has shipped yet?

I would not like to have to pay $500 for VT3 only to then shell out to upgrade Aura.

I am hoping that Sebastien and Newtek came to a good deal

We live in Hope:D