PDA

View Full Version : poor man motherboard for vt4

0988_curiel
02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi guys:
the motherboard i have with my vt4 id dead. would you please sugest a poorman motherboard - processor (cheapest) for this system? I only use it to capture some clips from component input apply some effects and dump into tape. The dead motherboard was an Intel d865. some one told me to use intel 35 series but i prefer to ask the gurus.

Alfonso Curiel

Dan_NT
03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Officially we've always recommended dual CPU motherboards, primarily because they have two FSBs (Front Side Buses), enough bandwidth to get video into the CPU. These workstation and server-grade motherboards are also beneficial because they typically allow you to control more within the BIOS (particularly PCI Latency Timer) and are generally better suited for hardware like the VT card rather than consumer-grade motherboards.

I would highly recommend that you replace your broken motherboard with a refurbished one of the same model if you can or another server/workstation grade motherboard, even an older one is fine so long as it supports 400MHz on the FSB or higher.

animlab
03-04-2009, 06:24 AM
If you are not going to use VT on live production, a QUAD core Intel CPU with a workstation M/B should be fine for you.
I am using ASUS P5K WS, P5WDG WS Professional M/B for a long time and they work great. However, ASUS workstation M/B are not cheap board, they are price at 2x-3x of normal PC M/B.

billmi
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
You might hunt around for an ASUS NCCH-DL. It's a dual Xeon motherboard that's not made anymore - but it was low cost for what it delivers. I think I got mine for about $170 new, and about $200 each for the 3GHz Xeons in it. It's got two SATA controllers on separate busses. I built my workstation around 2005 with it, and it still renders LightWave faster and runs speed edit smoother than any of the modern dual-core machines we have in the office.