PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Light on Shadows

csquared63
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm trying to understand the relationship between my lights and the resultant shadows.

I have an Area light and I'm getting shadows that are nice in terms of softness, but could use a little more falloff and detail.

Any pointers? Please see attached.

Thanks,

Carl

Sarford
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
concidering the detail, you can only see (bump) detail between the light and the shadow. If things are in the shadows you can't see detail because there is no light.
Your area light is the only shadow giving light in the scene, therefor, everything in its shadow looses detail.
One way to solve that is adding more lights or enabling Global Illumination. With GI you have reflecting light, thus a bit of (reflected) light in the shadows, enabling the details.

It also seems that your ambient light is pretty strong, this is washing out your shadows (making them less dark). Ambient light doesn't give any shadows btw, only in GI mode.

Sekhar
02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
You have way too much ambient light, that will kill contrast. Set it at 0 or really low.

csquared63
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
One way to solve that is adding more lights or enabling Global Illumination. With GI you have reflecting light, thus a bit of (reflected) light in the shadows, enabling the details.

It also seems that your ambient light is pretty strong, this is washing out your shadows (making them less dark). Ambient light doesn't give any shadows btw, only in GI mode.

Thanks for the reply.

How to I set GI? The GI tab in the Render Globals only has an option to "Enable Radiosity". Is that the same thing?

-Carl

csquared63
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
You have way too much ambient light, that will kill contrast. Set it at 0 or really low.

Just dropped it to 30 and am awaiting the radiosity render. I'll try lower if it still needs help.

Thanks.

toby
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Ambient light is the same as adding luminosity to your surfaces, very unrealistic and cartoony-looking. Start at 0 and only add a tiny bit if you're sure it's needed.

Enable Radiosity is correct. GI is a general term, of which radiosity is one type. Switch on 'Interpolated' as well, or it will be a very slow render.

csquared63
02-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Enable Radiosity is correct. GI is a general term, of which radiosity is one type. Switch on 'Interpolated' as well, or it will be a very slow render.

Thanks. I added another 'fill' light and turned off shadows. It still needs some fine tuning but it's getting better.

-Carl

toby
02-27-2009, 12:26 AM
er, turned off shadows? Wha for?
And, you'll post a pic when you get something nice right?

csquared63
02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
er, turned off shadows? Wha for?
And, you'll post a pic when you get something nice right?

Well I was thinking I didn't want strong shadows from another light source, but then that light probably wouldn't affect shadows from the main light, right?

I will post the final, but since it client work and confidential it may be a bit. I can post cropped sections after I get the lighting set.

Thanks.

csquared63
06-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Well we finally finished the project and with the help of Photoshop and Flash, pulled it all together. :thumbsup:

The building and people were rendered out in LW. The trees were done in Vue. The people and objects were animated in Flash.

http://www.fisher-price.com/welcome/

Sekhar
06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Wow, great job. So full of life, and looks like you paid a lot of attention to detail. The bird in the sky - did you animate that in Flash (i.e., small video cycle + movement in Flash) or is the whole flight from right to left one video cycle?

csquared63
06-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Wow, great job. So full of life, and looks like you paid a lot of attention to detail. The bird in the sky - did you animate that in Flash (i.e., small video cycle + movement in Flash) or is the whole flight from right to left one video cycle?

Thanks! The bird was done completely in Flash. It's an animated symbol following a path.