PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #26 - From The Villains Lair

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #27 - From The Villains Lair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - From The Villains Lair
Every Villain has his lair and every lair is just packed full of cool if somewhat unlikely stuff.
From sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads to an extinct volcano that can launch nuclear missiles. The possibilities are wide open, go wild.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 04 March 2200 GMT.

Nangleator
02-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh, yes! Great subject!

flakester
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
ORSM choice! :thumbsup:
Hope I get time to get one together for this.

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
ORSM? I drawing a blank on this one. :D

Myagi
02-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Just a minor detail, isn't this #27 :)

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 08:08 AM
You are right, and unfortunately I cant change the title

Myagi
02-26-2009, 08:09 AM
oh, I thought edit allowed that

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 08:11 AM
It sort of does but it dosent seem to change the listing title in the forums

flakester
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
ORSM? I drawing a blank on this one. :D

Aye! Got my plans, now all I need is the time... ~8-\

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
No, I mean whats ORSM?

flakester
02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
No, I mean whats ORSM?

lol, sorry; should've picked up on that....
Just another way or typing 'awesome'. I know, it's pretty sad, but it keeps me chuckling. :D

--
flakester.

3DeeNut
02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Havent had the time to enter in the last few. Ill try and get one together for this. Ive been getting ready for a move and other stuff so pressed for time its rediculous. ANyow, ill try! Love the topic on this one. (liked the last two also just never had the time)

JeffrySG
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
figured I'd give this one a go! About 15min to model and about an hour to texture and set up the scene...

What evil villian doesn't have a few of these lying around! I think the scale is off compared to the street but oh well...

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
The Mad Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight :D
Cool.

Thanks for your explination flakester, I should have just tried to say it outloud

Nangleator
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Oops. Thought the subject was "The villain's lair" not "From the villain's lair." Oh well.

"Dr. Skull's submarine base is around here somewhere!"

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Well I did say go wild, I think the entry way to an undersea lair classes just fine as being from a villians lair:thumbsup:

flakester
02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
@ Nangleator & JeffrySG; both wonderful entries :thumbsup:

My first entry for this one: Old school Villain Apparel. What nemesis of Holmes would be seen without these!?

52 mins for modelling, something in the region of 50 mins for the layout and render. Objects and scene available, as always.

The full render is an fprime cook, I may revisit and see what I can do with the native renderer and anisotropic nodes for the silky look at some point, see how much time I get.

--
flakester.

colkai
02-27-2009, 02:06 AM
"Dr. Skull's submarine base is around here somewhere!"

That is so cool!

Nangleator
02-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks, colkai!

Cool old-school threads, flakester! Seems like the kind of guy that ties a woman to railroad tracks.

JeffrySG
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
flakester, that came out great... I just watched 'Meet the Robinsons' and it reminds me of the outfit from the Bowler hat guy. Very cool idea!

Nangleator: I think the actual lair will work just fine! that looks great too! I like the look of the water!

Oedo 808
02-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Excellent choice JefferySG, a time honoured classic. Though I must say they do make me think of CJ's Elephant Antics.

Nangleator, that's a cool entry, a liitle bit freaky too. I can imagine all the locals are typically terrified. It's a groovy render too.

flakester, great thinking! Very stylish. I strongly suspect that this arch-villain sports a waxed moustache, perhaps something like this:

flakester
02-28-2009, 04:26 AM
~ flakester, great thinking! Very stylish. I strongly suspect that this arch-villain sports a waxed moustache, perhaps something like this: ~

That is one helluva mossie there! He looks like Dr Robotnik. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I was thinking of the grand old arch enemy type of villain.

For my second entry, this is more likely to be something from the Viallain's Torture Chamber.... but still something that every classic Villain should have.

55 mins for the modelling, about 40 mins for the layout, render and post. Object and scene available.

--
flakester.

Iain
02-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Great subject!

I need to get something done for this one. Hmmmmmm......

Nangleator
02-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Beautiful, Victorian-looking syringe, flakester.

Oh, my entry was 40 minutes of modeling, and way, way too long fiddling with materials to get the ocean to look right. Still not satisfied.

flakester
02-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Beautiful, Victorian-looking syringe, flakester.

Oh, my entry was 40 minutes of modeling, and way, way too long fiddling with materials to get the ocean to look right. Still not satisfied.

Cheers Dude.

I have to say I was pretty impressed by your entry, the modelling and the idea itself. Plus the ocean has a turbid, silty quality to it: can almost taste it, if you know what I mean.

--
flakester.

Nangleator
02-28-2009, 02:25 PM
"Finally, my Enscrogulator is complete! Nothing can stop the enslavement of the human race now, not even Ace Steeljaw and the insipid Galactic Patrol!"

51 minutes modeling. Way too long surfacing and lighting. Some day I'll get SSS working for me. Maybe Core will do it for me.

Lightning done with FiberFX.

JeffrySG
02-28-2009, 02:34 PM
For my second entry, this is more likely to be something from the Viallain's Torture Chamber.... but still something that every classic Villain should have.

very cool! I really like the lighting and final render!

JeffrySG
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
"Finally, my Enscrogulator is complete! Nothing can stop the enslavement of the human race now, not even Ace Steeljaw and the insipid Galactic Patrol!"

51 minutes modeling. Way too long surfacing and lighting. Some day I'll get SSS working for me. Maybe Core will do it for me.

I was totally going to do that! LOL too funny... nice job!

colkai
02-28-2009, 03:50 PM
"Finally, my Enscrogulator is complete!

Heh, great minds, I though no villan is complete without his devastating la-ser device. I like to call this the Alan Parsons Project! :)

Took just under the hour incl. the room, about 40 mins for the device & table itself.

flakester
02-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Hahaha!! On a scale of 1 to awesome, that's gotta be up there with the super-fantasticals. Ace job. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

flakester
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Heh, great minds, I though no villan is complete without his devastating la-ser device. I like to call this the Alan Parsons Project! :)

Took just under the hour incl. the room, about 40 mins for the device & table itself.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to take on a funny way of talking with a high-pitched voice...."

Lovely job there Colkai, great work. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Nangleator
02-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Heh, great minds,
Wow, think alike and get their timing the same, too!

Alan Parsons Project... Heh. I tried hard not to think in terms of Dr. Evil, but I still ended up with a device with a butt plug shape.

colkai
03-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Wow, think alike and get their timing the same, too!

Alan Parsons Project... Heh. I tried hard not to think in terms of Dr. Evil
Doubly difficult for me, The APP is one of my favourite "groups", got hooked from listening to The fall of the house of usher in the pitch black with my mates, got most of the catalogue they put out. :)

I spent way too much time piddling around with the room though, initially I was just going to build the laser and beef it up, but then I thought, no, needs the table, then of course, the table needed to be in a room. :lol:

archijam
03-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Where's Matt? What about DRAGON'S LAIR ;) ?

R.Feeney
03-01-2009, 04:30 AM
My first entry for this one: Old school Villain Apparel. What nemesis of Holmes would be seen without these!?

52 mins for modelling, something in the region of 50 mins for the layout and render. Objects and scene available, as always.

The full render is an fprime cook, I may revisit and see what I can do with the native renderer and anisotropic nodes for the silky look at some point, see how much time I get.

--
flakester.

Like what has already been said it brings to mind waxed moustaches, crazed overacting and a tendency to tie young ladies to the railroad tracks.

55 mins for the modelling, about 40 mins for the layout, render and post. Object and scene available.

--
flakester.

Again, capturing the feel of your subject nicely:thumbsup:

Every villain needs a death ray or "Enscrogulator"
you could have called it Nangulator an ageing ray :D

The slow excruciating death device (aka the Plot Device) for every hero needs a death trap to escape from.
I had been thinking of trying this very thing myself.
cool.

R.Feeney
03-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Bit off more than I could chew with this one, there was plans for massive screens displaying maps of earth with satalite orbital tracks overlayed. And buttons, buttons everywhere along with enough flashing lights to land an airplane.
This is where I got in the hour modeling. Far too much time then spent tweeking the surfacing and lighting.

Nangleator
03-01-2009, 08:13 AM
How flippin awesome is that logo? PZ Myers would love to see that!

Great room with great chairs, Feeney!

Re: The Nangulator ray... I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. Heh.

Mark The Great
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Bit off more than I could chew with this one, there was plans for massive screens displaying maps of earth with satalite orbital tracks overlayed. And buttons, buttons everywhere along with enough flashing lights to land an airplane.
This is where I got in the hour modeling. Far too much time then spent tweeking the surfacing and lighting.

Dang!:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
How flippin awesome is that logo? PZ Myers would love to see that!

Great room with great chairs, Feeney!

Re: The Nangulator ray... I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. Heh.
The logo is based on the one from the bond films SPECTRE (Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion)
Cheers mate.

Dang!:thumbsup:
:D Thanks

flakester
03-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Ooooooooh, that's ace! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Nangleator
03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
It doesn't get much simpler than this.

Oedo 808
03-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Bit off more than I could chew with this one,
Great stuff R.Feeney, you know there's nothing I like more than a bit of "I Bit off more than I could chew" in these challenges. I think you could have entered one of those chairs in a seat speed modelling challenge by itself. :thumbsup:

Though I bet it still took longer than you thought it would. ;)

Nice work guys.

Nangleator
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Though I bet it still took longer than you thought it would.
Ooh, yeah. 22 minutes modeling.

Probably an hour surfacing and lighting. And I used quick and dirty textures from the web, which didn't turn out great. My lava has been better in the past. It was tricky getting it to cast enough light. I should have cheated and used a light for that.

Stupid IES lights never work for me. I can never tell which way they will point, and unless I use like 500% to 5,000% power, I don't see any light at all. Instead I ended up with one spotlight.

mikala
03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Wicked entry R.Feeney!

colkai
03-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Bit off more than I could chew with this one...

Frikkin' awesome! :D

flakester
03-02-2009, 02:22 AM

Lovely stuff! :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Kuzey
03-02-2009, 05:57 AM
This ones in the fantasy world...a skull helmet :D

It took about 60 minutes because I used the PC version of Lightwave, which I hadn't customized my tabs yet to match the Mac version....so, I wasted a lot of time finding buttons and what not :hey:

Kuzey

Iain
03-04-2009, 05:28 AM
I tried to do my own lair based on some Lautner designs but in the end just copied the one from Dr No.

About 45 minutes modelling.

Nangleator
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I like it. The walkway to the right seems like a ferociously impractical place to walk, and the safety rail on that small platform seems out of scale with the height of the steps, but it's got an overall cool look.

The ball is also strange. Is it on a pole sticking up out of the short wall? Or is it resting on the floor past the short wall?

Lighting is sweet.

flakester
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
More ace stuff there from Kuzey and Iain. :thumbsup:

Last entry on this one for me, a classic villain weapon; the Toffee Hammer.
Just under 40 mins for the modelling, about the same for textures / materials / layout and render.

Model available as always.

--
flakester.

Mark The Great
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
The Death Star counts right?

Around an hour modeling, quite a bit of time waiting for some dynamics calculations (I used the technique from William Vaughn's tutorial for the wire mesh, of course), and a couple hours working on lighting & surfacing and whatnot.

Happy to share the model.

"3-P0! Where could he be?"

Nangleator
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Holy smokes! Great microphone mesh!

And good imagination. I never thought of Star Wars, and of course, the Death Star qualifies as a lair.

Geez, that eggshell room that Vader used to rinse out his helmet (ew!) would have been a good subject...

Oedo 808
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Kuzey, classic, I love the style! Yeah, it looks just right.

Iain, great work as always, but 45mins, how can you do that? Even if I could do that in 45mins I'd have to spend the extra 15 tweaking something. Floor surface looks really good in that render.

flakester, such a clean model, I can never get stuff to look that good such a simple base mesh, nice.

Mark The Great, good thinking, and that is a great looking mesh! Did you use cloth dynamics to fold the edges or was it modelled like that?

Oedo 808, that space-gerkin kryptonite was shockingly pants, you did well to bum out of this challenge.

Iain
03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Iain, great work as always, but 45mins, how can you do that? Even if I could do that in 45mins I'd have to spend the extra 15 tweaking something. Floor surface looks really good in that render.

Well, I'd have liked the 15 minutes to add more but I had to be out of the house at 12:15 today and I started modelling at 10:45. I knew I'd struggle to texture and render in 45 minutes so I stopped early.

The ball is a silver globe sitting on the short wall.

Love the death star detail MTG.
Nice, erm, toffee hammer, flakester-scary! :help:

JCG
03-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Edit:
*Sigh* I have to stop leaving this for the last moment...
Almost!

Oedo 808
03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
@JCG

LMAO! That's a superb entry!

@Iain

Aha, so it wasn't by choice, so much to do so little time eh? Really well done for being a rush job. I used to think "How can people not find an hour?" But even I've struggled lately, and not only that, but surfacing takes bloody ages, especially when you are as unskilled as I am.

Mark The Great
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Oedo 808: Yeah, cloth effects. Draped a subdivided square over a disk and used metalink to deform the chain.

Actually, while I was working on the lighting, I found a little bug.

I wanted that red background in the image (and have it reflected by the ground plane), but to have it reflected, I had to use Image World, which then put a red cast on the render, which I did not want.

Eventually, I front-projected the background onto a plane in the background. But then the adaptive sampling passes didn't seem to notice the edge between the ground and the front projected plane. So I had a smooth foreground object, but tons of noise which no amount of AA would cancel out in the background.

In the end, I got rid of the front projected plane and just had the table reflect the off-white lightprobe rather than the red. (Although I now realize that I could have just had it reflect a spherical map rather than the background :foreheads )

Any idea why the AA system freaks out with front projection?

*edit*
Ok, so I changed the reflection image and I'm liking that better now. Also made a very slight modeling change.

Hopper
03-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Really great models...

I can't believe no one did a self destruct panel. What self respecting villian's lair doesn't have a giant self destruct system????

I started one but was interrupted after about 5 minutes as usual... All I got done was the "on" switch. Really disappointing.

Nangleator
03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Self destruct... yes... but in many of the worst movies, the villain's lair just tends to blow up on its own as a result of the anger between the hero and the villain, or the villain dying, or just because the hero is leaving. These explosions are progressive and quite slow, and leave just enough time for the hero and some chick to get out alive, but not quite on their feet.

Oedo 808
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Oedo 808: Yeah, cloth effects. Draped a subdivided square over a disk and used metalink to deform the chain.
Thanks for the info, I've tried the cloth FX unwrap for UVs technique, which is very cool, but I haven't tried using cloth to deform complicated meshes like that, and I know I'll probably forget to do metalink when I do.

Any idea why the AA system freaks out with front projection?
No surprise that I don't, but I too would be interested to find out why.

Ok, so I changed the reflection image and I'm liking that better now. Also made a very slight modeling change.
I think the darker ground surface and the mic texture improve it quite a bit, nice work.

I can't believe no one did a self destruct panel. What self respecting villian's lair doesn't have a giant self destruct system????

I started one but was interrupted after about 5 minutes as usual... All I got done was the "on" switch. Really disappointing.
Hopper, a real shame you didn't get to finish your entry, man, I don't think I'd have had that much time left after modelling that switch!

By the way, if I'm supposed to start the next challenge, someone will have to give me the nod and I'll set it up in the morning or early afternoon. I'm afraid I'm another confused participant.

flakester
03-05-2009, 06:15 AM
~ ...
By the way, if I'm supposed to start the next challenge, someone will have to give me the nod and I'll set it up in the morning or early afternoon. I'm afraid I'm another confused participant.

I believe it is you choosing and judging the next challenge Dude; winner of round #26, heading up round #28.

Someone feel free to throw stuff at me if I'm wrong on that though!

Be cool to see what you come up with. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Oedo 808
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Groovy, thanks flakester, I'll start it up in a few minutes.

Only just got home, been having one of 'those' days.

Paul_Boland
03-05-2009, 02:24 PM

I really like this one. Any chance of getting a high resolution render of it please?

Nangleator
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I really like this one. Any chance of getting a high resolution render of it please?
Hee! Thanks. I'll tune it up a bit and render out a higher res one.

My textures are a little bit lame, and I can see too much butterfly effect. Maybe I can fix up my lava, too. I'll work on it in a few hours.

Nangleator
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Here's a bigger render of the lava sliding floor corridor. I added some slots in the walls for the floor, and tuned the materials a bit.

dwburman
03-05-2009, 08:59 PM
That's a nice looking render, R.Feeney. I do wonder how one physically gets to the center table. Do the villains have to crawl under the outer table or are they raised up through the floor?

:)

Nangleator
03-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Yeah, it's always vertical movement in those types of organizations.

R.Feeney
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
That's a nice looking render, R.Feeney. I do wonder how one physically gets to the center table. Do the villains have to crawl under the outer table or are they raised up through the floor?

:)
Ah! the center table is for the secretaries and once it is installed ( censored for international security reasons )
you see, a nice straight forward explanation for what may have appeared as a serious design flaw to a sharp pair of eyes :D

Now I have to pick a winner here.
I loved them all but its come down to Iain and his set from Dr. No for the win.:thumbsup:
Well done to you all, quite a range of stuff from Victorian to bond to starwars and the smurfs. Who would have thought.

I intended to do a couple more myself for this one but my eyes were giving me some trouble.

Nangleator
03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Congratulations, Iain! That was the clear winner.

This was a fun challenge.

flakester
03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Congrats Iain, a well deserved win! :thumbsup:

Great work all.

--
flakester.

colkai
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Indeed, depressingly cool and rendered superbly.
Dontcha just hate talented folks? ;) :D

Congrats Iain, quality stuff. :)

Paul_Boland
03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Here's a bigger render of the lava sliding floor corridor. I added some slots in the walls for the floor, and tuned the materials a bit.

Thanks, looks great. Of course, all the work in here looks great, but there is something about this image that has really caught my eye.

Mark The Great
03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Congratulations!

Iain
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Wow-great!
Thanks very much :)

I love those 60's sets and have been looking for an excuse to do one.
I'll post the model and scene tomorrow if anyone wants a look at them.

Cheers :thumbsup:

colkai
03-07-2009, 02:50 AM

Oh, yes indeedy! :D

Ernest
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Wow-great!
Thanks very much :)

I love those 60's sets and have been looking for an excuse to do one.

No! You're doing it wrong!:thumbsdow

You have to say something like, "HAHAHAHA!! Bow to my superior modeling skillz, you puny human plebeians!"

Keep with the topic! /jk

Iain
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Model and scene.............

oops - the radiosity needs Interpolated checked or it'll take forever.