PDA

View Full Version : 9.6 thread

creacon
02-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Yes, i know it's strange to start a 9.6 thread in core, but the release version of 9.6 is posing us some serious problems, that are keeping us from using it in production. So we wanted to know when a patch would be released.

The problem we're having is that layout is performing screen updates when it shouldn't, this causes problems with FPrime and with Fiberfx, and it makes layout 9.6 screen updating a lot slower than the beta's.

I'm very surprised that nobody else is complaining about this, because this is really a showstopper.

I'll post a scene soon that shows the problem.

creacon

BeeVee
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
This isn't a Microsoft Intellimouse driver issue is it? Does it happen with *no* 3rd party plugins? The fact that no-one else has complained about it is possibly indicative of something wrong with the installation rather than LightWave?

B

geothefaust
02-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't have that problem at all. I don't even use a mouse for that matter - Just a Wacom, which would explain why I don't have this issue.

creacon
02-27-2009, 03:37 AM
No it isn't a mouse driver issue.

I'm trying to narrow down the problem and it has something to do with fiberFX updating the viewport.

In the beta I could change the fiber scale and have it updated immediately in the vewport, in the release I have to "wake up" layout by moving the time slider.
Changing the gravity percentage does update immediately. I'll try to make "a steps to reproduce" and bug it.

And Ben , the remark about nobody complaining about it, has been used for years by carbuilders all over the world :-)

creacon

This isn't a Microsoft Intellimouse driver issue is it? Does it happen with *no* 3rd party plugins? The fact that no-one else has complained about it is possibly indicative of something wrong with the installation rather than LightWave?

B

jesusguijarro
02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I have found two bug relating FFX that no one has noticed but haven't noticed slow redaw but I using also a wacom, have you fogbuzzed it

Edited: I think there is not many LWers using FFX bery buggy for use in prodcution we need a fix

Bookman
02-27-2009, 08:00 AM
were using 9.6 in production now with no real issues. but we aren't using F-prime or FFX at the moment.

creacon
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
I did some further investigation:

- I reinstalled 9.6 release version (clean install)
- I installed (separate directory, separate configs) 9.6 RC 2 (It's the only one I kept)

Changing fiber scale, swirl, swirl%, tuft, stray etc in RC2 gives immediate viewport updates, in release 9.6 it doesn't.

Scrubbing the timeline in both versions is slow. But RC2 updates faster.

but wait, it gets worse:

Rendertime in RC2: about 5S.
Rendertime in release version 11-13S.

I was wondering why the timeline scrubbing was slow so I disabled dynamic gravity, because I figured that that would need updating on every frame, but it doesn't make any difference.

You can go to perspective view and navigate the scene realtime, you can grab the object and move it around the viewport (also realtime), but scrubbing the timeline when nothing moves is about 20 times slower.

We're testing to see if this is usable in production, and I guess it isn't, so back to 9.31 for the moment.

We bought the core upgrade just to keep an eye on things and to know what will be coming in the future, we don't expect much for the moment, that's why it's important to know what we can still expect from 9.6.

Sent the report to newtek...

creacon

I have found two bug relating FFX that no one has noticed but haven't noticed slow redaw but I using also a wacom, have you fogbuzzed it

Edited: I think there is not many LWers using FFX bery buggy for use in prodcution we need a fix

dee
02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
I've made an bug report about this when 9.6 was at RC12 (20012_cfvpcnb0), it's still open.

Larry_g1s
02-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I have the same problem with the screen refreshing/flickering, but more so in modeler. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95484) Check out the screen capture I attached further down on the page. What's strange is I get crashes in 9.6 final release if I try to deselect things (polys, points, edges). I really enjoy the 9.6 release, but this is the only real issue I've noticed with it. I didn't have this problem prior. Like I said, it's only in Modeler, Layout is fine 99% of the time (every once in a while I won't even be in Layout and it'll crash, I'm assuming from a refresh). I use Fprime on it too. I still wouldn't trade v9.6, but it is strange....

The other thing I might do is jump to Vista x64 bit. I'm currently on XP 64bit OS and wondering if the drivers from ATI just aren't as up to par on the XP version as the Vista one sense it's not the current OS.

Chuck
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
v9.6 is a released product, and as such can be discussed in the proper public support support sections. That being the case, I will move the thread to the General Support section, and would encourage you to file a report once you feel you feel you have found the way to reliably reproduce the issue.