PDA

View Full Version : Tricking the TricasterPro to make a Flash Archive WITHOUT a publishing point

Kurt_Henning
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I have used TCP since version 1. That was pre-Flash.

The flash option is terrific.

I have a client (TCP v2 owner) who does talking head video interview and many single client interviews. These are used for training purposes. At his location he can stream to his server, and create the needed flash files "on the fly."

In windows, you can push/pull the stream, so in one case, you don't need to have a publishing point, and simply archive the stream during production. This is very cool, and the basic of what I am trying to do, but with the Flash Format from the TCP2 directly.

In Flash, AFAIK you MUST have a publishing point. :stumped: I am far from a webstream expert. But, I have been in the video business for 20 years and have learned many techniques to "trick" a device into doing what I need to do. That is my goal here.

Since my computer networking skills are very limited, I was wondering if some clever person here might have an idea of how to do this? :help:

The client also has a modern Dell notebook, and a new MAcBookpro.

The client inquired if he could use the firewire output from the TCP and simply use an external notebook and encode the file there. This firewire out feature is a VT only feature. So, that's not a possibility with any version of the TCP. That would be an option, be is is a TCPv2 guy only.

He does not use his component out on the TCP. We discussed purchasing a $125 PCI card that accepts component video. The idea is to input the TCP output signal to either the mac or PC laptop, and then he could use the latest version of Flash Media Encoder (which he is also interested in, but that is another thread).

The $125 solution would work as soon as the part would arrive, unless someone sees an issue. If so please share.

He is waiting to see if any of the "crew" here would share some type of "IT" trick. One of the clients is an IT guy, but before he is going to try anything, he was courteous enough to ask if I had any "approved" :D and/or reliable solutions -- hopefully with software only.

I did make a call to Newtek tek support and spoke with a nice young gal named Sara(h) <sp?> , who suggested posting out here. Since there is not an Newtek official solution, it's up to some stealth IT guy out there who will share how this could be done. I know you are out there somewhere.

I hope someone reads this and shares their :alien: knowledge.

This would greatly benefit my client. Sometimes they capture 4 hours of interviews, and then return to their office to use their publishing point to play back the "just captured" clips which enables the "save stream" and "stream" functions on the TCP v2. In about 3 weeks, they will be doing 7 hours of captures a day for 10 days. 70 hours of video that needs to be flash encoded (and in a format that the TCP can do on the fly) will have to be done in realtime twice. :thumbsdow First they will disk capture, then they will load their DDR, set the audio levels (since they are redoing it anyway), set the archive destination, their publishing point is already filled in, name the file, start the stream, and hit play and record all the files from that day. This would make for some very long days, because these are the guys who need to upload the content to make it available ASAP.

The reason for the consideration of spending the $125 on the PCI component capture card is that during this event, the files need to be on their server ASAP. In many cases, since they have a studio setup at their site, they can do live streaming, or certainly upload the finished versions within a few hours. That's really the goal, to be able to review the training module within about two hours after the speaker (talent) wraps. When it works (which it usually does), Speaker 2, will reference Speaker "A"s presentation that is already published on the web. This does four things.

:D 1. The audience is confident that the content is there, and not "in two weeks." (Paul Lara, that was for you :D) Maybe the trainees will bookmark it and review it again.

:agree: 2. The speakers reiterate the common themes (an aspect of safety training and procedure).

:cool: 3. The client feels high tech and that this "use the web" idea is not BS, but exists as various attendees get their laptops out, check it out, and hopefully bookmark it.

:ohmy: 4. In this case, the client will not incur overtime fees to keep a "worker" bee on the clock at least 14 and probably 15 hours per day for the ten day event.

To wrap, I hope my arguments are compelling enough to consider helping a user out. There must be some IP/IT trick.

Even if you only have a "This might work idea, please share....."

My only one is the $125 capture card.

Thanks kindly, and I hope someone has a Eureka moment. That would be Fantastic.

rally1
02-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Ok the cleanest solution (at the present time) is to actually use an external capture device and that Dell/Macbook. Reason being that the TCP has a copy of Flash Media Live Encoder that is two versions behind the current release. By using an external capture you will get a better encode as the new version gives you H.264 and other improvements.
At some point NewTek will release an update for the TCP to get it to the latest Flash Media Live Encoder version 3 (they have been promising it for weeks).

When that time comes, or if you are happy with FMLE 2, you can use a couple tricks to encode directly.

What I do is to simply stream to a publishing point on my CDN that doesn't go public. The downside is that you are still sending that stream out and using bandwidth to the internet.
The other option I have yet to test, but in theory it would work. Install the free development version (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediastreaming/) of Flash Server on the Dell laptop. Have the TCP and the Dell on the same network, and simply create a publishing point on the Dell. You then have an address to send the stream to from the TCP, but you are only using LAN (local area network) bandwidth, nothing goes out to the internet. Meanwhile your video is being encoded in Flash straight to the TCP.

Questions for you:
How would a PCI card connect to a laptop? Do you mean PCMCIA?

Are you asking the same question you asked here? http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91894&highlight=publishing+point I thought maybe I had been down this road before!

Kurt_Henning
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Yes, this has come up before, and I was hoping that someone may have found a solution. It must be harder than I had hoped. Since I don't have "IT" chops, I need some hand holding.

And yes, I do mean PCMCIA on the laptop (s).

As far as loading the "free development version" of Flash, how hard is that to do, for a non IT person?

I have sold TCs to clients and they are using Publishing Points successfully, but that is about as far as I have gotten into IT, except the studio and my home studio network, which are both modest.

jcupp
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I know this is an old thread but:
How To Install Adobe Flash Streaming Server on 'Localhost' (Not NewTek Approved)

1. Download and install the Adobe Streaming Server Here (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en_us&product=flashmediaserver). You'll need to create an Adobe account if you don't already have one.
2. During the install you will be given the option to install Apache - uncheck this option
3. Otherwise take all the defaults. Create (and remember ) a username and password
4. Start the TriCaster software
5. In the Record / Stream Panel select any one of the VP6 flash codecs (I got errors with any of the H.264 codecs)
6. Set the 'Location' to: rtmp://localhost/live
7. Type something (anything) into the StreamID blank
8. Enter your username and password (the ones you specified during the Flash Server setup)
9. Click 'Write To Disk'
10. Enter a path/filename

Click the 'Stream Live Output' button (on the left edge of the interface) to start recording.

If your TriCaster catches fire don't come crying to me or NewTek:)

cezaryg
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
That's cool idea! My only concern is if you can install then run Flash Media Streaming Server 3.5 in XP environment? How are you able to trick Adobe minimum system requirement Windows Server 2003?

Thanks,
Cezary

jcupp
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I actually tried this before I posted. It worked for the three minute duration of my test on a TC Studio. YMMV.

My guess is you need Server so that you can have more then the 10 connections allowed by XP Pro. The Adobe development server won't accept more connections then that anyway.

cezaryg
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks Jeff, I'm going to try this nifty idea.

Cezary

rally1
05-19-2010, 06:47 PM
If all you are trying to do is archive the .flv things have changed.

When I am TriCasting, how can I record my Flash stream without connecting to a server?
Attempting to record a Flash live stream without anything in the address window causes an error, preventing you from recording.

To write to disk without publishing point, type the following in the location field:
rtmp://localhost/live

Type anything into the Stream ID but don't leave it blank or it will give you an error.