PDA

View Full Version : Image Sequence - control frame progession with LW?

JGary
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm animating a cobra model and noticed, from viewing reference footage, that when the snake's hood expands the scales do not stretch, but rather the skin in between the scales is what does the stretching. Trying to figure out the best way to simulate this. The 3d model has a painted scale texture that evenly stretches when the hood morph target is used (see attached image).

To fix the stretching, I'm thinking of making a image morph of the scale texture...starting with the scales looking correct for the closed hood, then compressing the scales on the texture map so that they don't stretch when the hood opens. I need to be able to animate the morph image sequence as the hood opens.

Is there a way to animate/control a image sequence in Layout?

Any suggestion for a cheap or free app that I can use to create the image morph sequence?

Thanks for help.

flakester
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
If the image sequence you need to run is a pre-rendered thing, as in; you know it has to morph from the norm on frame xxxx, you can set it to start rolling at a certain frame in the image-doohickie [F6]. You can also tell it to hold the first frame of your sequence before it rolls the rest of the sequence........ I think.

That's all I can think of at the mo.

--
flakester.

Revanto
02-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Sadly, there is no way 'that I know of' that allows you to control image sequences. A long time ago I suggested the creation of a plugin that allowed you to control image sequences with a null. Such a plugin would have been a VERY powerful tool especially for experimenting with colours and animating 2d textured faces. But nobody seems to think the same way as me. Well, it's everyone else's loss.

Rev.

R.Feeney
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
You could use the old morping system rather than the morph maps.
Its been a long time since I used it myself but I recall that you could have different surfaces on each morph target and you could morph the surfaces as well as the model.

toby
02-25-2009, 05:49 PM
You can also set up multiple texture layers and animate their opacity.

JGary
02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like however I do this...it's going to be low tech.

probiner
02-27-2009, 06:21 PM
So i gave it a try.
Its a tremendous cheesy try, i know, but... kinda works. I didnt thought of how to do it with UV tough. Its simple planar projection.

So basicly if you open the Surface node editor you will find a ladder of Images (parts of the sequence), Mixers and Logic.

all Logic have an input in A wich is nothing less then a follower of the Morph Map values in the Displacement node editor. And the Logics controls wich image goes along the ladder and comes out in the end.

This is completly crazy, and maybe pointless cause what would happen if the morph changes too fast. You have limited information and you are trying to fit it on a surface with the right "stretch", could be a headhech. The tracking is bad.
The best would be what Revanto said, that NT should come out with a timeline controler for the images sequences.

Some procedural can choke texture shells. it could be an option, since this textures have unlimited info.

There goes the Video and the scene files.

Good Luck

JGary
03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
So i gave it a try.
Its a tremendous cheesy try, i know, but... kinda works. I didnt thought of how to do it with UV tough. Its simple planar projection.

So basicly if you open the Surface node editor you will find a ladder of Images (parts of the sequence), Mixers and Logic.

all Logic have an input in A wich is nothing less then a follower of the Morph Map values in the Displacement node editor. And the Logics controls wich image goes along the ladder and comes out in the end.

This is completly crazy, and maybe pointless cause what would happen if the morph changes too fast. You have limited information and you are trying to fit it on a surface with the right "stretch", could be a headhech. The tracking is bad.
The best would be what Revanto said, that NT should come out with a timeline controler for the images sequences.

Some procedural can choke texture shells. it could be an option, since this textures have unlimited info.

There goes the Video and the scene files.

Good Luck

Wow, that's a pretty crazy setup!