PDA

View Full Version : Branit VFX Demo Reel

nickolasstevens
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
http://branitvfx.com

JeffrySG
02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the link!

flakester
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Fab work Dude, awesome. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

CGI Addict
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Really nice portfolio Nickolas. How is AM going?

JMCarrigan
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Man o' man.

PointC
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
What you have there is some 'mad skills'. WOW :thumbsup:

Stooch
02-25-2009, 02:29 PM
nice reel...

i just wanted to say that you ruined lost for me. now i know who is responsible for the horrible effects (the smoke creature... ughhh... thanks alot).

G-Man
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
"i just wanted to say that you ruined lost for me. now i know who is responsible for the horrible effects (the smoke creature... ughhh... thanks alot)."

Wow, you're a dick.

Cageman
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
nice reel...

i just wanted to say that you ruined lost for me. now i know who is responsible for the horrible effects (the smoke creature... ughhh... thanks alot).

While I can agree that some of the shots of the smokemonster were not that great, there certanly are shots that are OK, especially concidering it is television work.

LOST as a series is way too aweseome to be let down by some less good VFX-shots. I really don't believe you when you say that it drove you away from the series. There are too much awesome character developements and mysterious things going on that some less good VFX-shots should have very little impact on.

tyrot
02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
dear G-man

yes he is ...

i think he doesnt know Bruce Branit is also the guy who made 405 and very cool effects in several cool projects... ... I really wish to see stooch's list at IMDB..

Branit Rocks....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0105111/

BEST

Stooch
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
While I can agree that some of the shots of the smokemonster were not that great, there certanly are shots that are OK, especially concidering it is television work.

LOST as a series is way too aweseome to be let down by some less good VFX-shots. I really don't believe you when you say that it drove you away from the series. There are too much awesome character developements and mysterious things going on that some less good VFX-shots should have very little impact on.

I admit it... it wasnt vfx alone... it was the fact that i felt that the writers on that show got "lost" themselves so i kind of "lost" my interest... lol.

Stooch
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
"i just wanted to say that you ruined lost for me. now i know who is responsible for the horrible effects (the smoke creature... ughhh... thanks alot)."

Wow, you're a dick.

just speaking the truth. sorry that you got all butthurt.. (oh wait... no im not).

Stooch
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
dear G-man

yes he is ...

i think he doesnt know Bruce Branit is also the guy who made 405 and very cool effects in several cool projects... ... I really wish to see stooch's list at IMDB..

Branit Rocks....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0105111/

BEST

well then may i suggest, removing those smoke shots from the reel and replacing them with the excellent 405 shots??

also i dont care how many imdb entries he has, it doesnt make all the effects automatically BADASS. lol.

how does it taste btw?

tyrot
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
dear stooch

405 was HIS movie..lost is not...and he DOES very cool clothFX based smoke ..i guess he worked on 300's famous...smoke fx scene

anyways...from your 3Dicky talents i know i will see your name in Internet'sMostDickBoys list. It is a kind of IMDB anyways. ...

Best...

Stooch
02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
dear stooch

405 was HIS movie..lost is not...and he DOES very cool clothFX based smoke ..i guess he worked on 300's famous...smoke fx scene

anyways...from your 3Dicky talents i know i will see your name in Internet'sMostDickBoys list. It is a kind of IMDB anyways. ...

Best...

dear tyrot.

thanks! although may i point out taht you are no better than the dick you are trying to chastise. it takes one to know one, you know?

i know!

Best...

tyrot
02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
dear stooch

Branit's work inspired me..years ago. So he is a bit 3D hero..for me.
You on the other hand... ....hmmm..i dont know...hmmm........may be just another 3Dick....

best

Stooch
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
dear stooch

Branit's work inspired me..years ago. So he is a bit 3D hero..for me.
You on the other hand... ....hmmm..i dont know...hmmm........may be just another 3Dick....

best
wow...

touching.

you seem to have a fascination with dicks though...

all im saying is that effect could be improved. sorry but its not really meant for you in the first place so why dont you just shut your mouth and let the OP make an issue out of this, if he truly has an issue with crititque?

tyrot
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
dear stooch

how many times you are gonna read -re-read-re-re-read and edit-re-edit your message to reach an absolute effect....

wow. i never ever messed with 3Dick before..it is so..exciting...go on..show me what you got...bad boy...

best

IMI
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
"Bad" smoke or not, I would be thrilled if I had the ability to make such a demo reel. :thumbsup:

But on the subject of that smoke, it looked alot more "solid" to me than normal smoke would. Then again, normal smoke wouldn't likely be wrestling someone to the ground... so it seems a bit odd to me to say it doesn't look "real" or good, or whatever the complaint is about it.

Well, as they say, I don't know much about art, but I know what I like. If there's a technical reason I should look down my nose at that smoke, I'm glad I'm not aware what it is. ;)

Stooch
02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
the smokes hypervoxel "boiling" or "billowing" textuire speed is too fast.

also for a smoke its too solid, it would blend better if it was even a slightly bit more transluscent. also it would be nice if the particles had a little bit of negative gravity to make them slowly drift up (some of them based on variation in mass) so that it acts a little more like smoke.

and this isnt the worst shot in the series. the horrible ones are not on the reel but i immediatelly thought of them because they are burned in my mind.

I hope you dont mind the editing, but i just wanted to make tyrot happy.

Tippsy
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
What would be sweet would be for you to make the smoke the way you envision it so everyone can see both then judge from that. (I am not being sarcastic, sometimes hard to tell with typing lol)

Tippsy
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Although that's probably needless work and from the demo reel I saw of yours your probably busy so that was a stupid suggestion sorry

IMI
02-25-2009, 08:51 PM

also for a smoke its too solid, it would blend better if it was even a slightly bit more transluscent. also it would be nice if the particles had a little bit of negative gravity to make them slowly drift up (some of them based on variation in mass) so that it acts a little more like smoke.

I appreciate the benefit of the words of your experience. No sarcasm intended, either.
I've messed with smoke quite a bit myself, but have never gotten anything looking particularly smoky. More like stiff, dirty cotton. The smoke in the OpenGL preview has looked more real in my attempts, actually. :/

So I do appreciate insights such as yours above. :thumbsup:

wildr3d
02-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Maybe the client wanted this particular look. My experience has been when creating something of pure imagination for certain clients they often want something that looks realistic but skewed toward a certain "look" or "feel".

Judging from the Branit VFX reel, I think its safe to say they would know how to create realistic smoke from Hypervoxels.

Stooch
02-26-2009, 01:13 AM
yes well i still feel that IMO it looked very bad in lost and for me it kind of pulled me out of the show... whether the client wanted that is just your guess.

wildr3d
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
yes well i still feel that IMO it looked very bad in lost and for me it kind of pulled me out of the show... whether the client wanted that is just your guess.

Correct, it is my opinion as I stated in my post. You are entitled to an opinion as well, I'm sure people will have different opinions about your recent work, if it's negative I would think you want them to know the facts behind how and why they were done.

nickolasstevens
02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

As far as the smoke monster. We did 4 shots of the smoke monster for 1 episode. I don't want to say too much, but we were dealing with a previously existing entity.

We've done effects on 4 episodes of Lost.

Stooch
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Correct, it is my opinion as I stated in my post. You are entitled to an opinion as well, I'm sure people will have different opinions about your recent work, if it's negative I would think you want them to know the facts behind how and why they were done.

thats precisely what i would expect and appreciate to hear. however i would never make excuses. infact if you or someone jumped in without my consent in order to defend me without me asking you, i would get pissed AT YOU and not the person criticising. in other words, i did not ask for your opinions, if you ahve something to say, say it to the OP. NOT to me. im not interested in hearing from you at all. especially if you sole interest is to argue with my opinion instead of giving actual feedback to the artist. i think that you are in effect insulting him by assuming that he isnt mature enough to handle it himself without your "help".

wildr3d
02-26-2009, 01:02 PM
now i know who is responsible for the horrible effects (the smoke creature... ughhh... thanks alot).

If you are joking with this comment I apologize, Nick nor anyone else needs me to defend them on this forum. Like most posts I read here people either respond to the OP or to individuals that make comments they have issues with.

nickolasstevens
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
People can say what they like. I know I've worked on a handful of the best shows on TV and not a lot of people can say that. I know what it took to make those shots happen and all of us here are happy with our work.

Mr Rid
02-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I dont watch TV shows (beyond Stewart/Colbert and Adult Swim). Am rarely impressed with TV FX and dont care to work on them because they tend to have prohibitive schedules, so the smoke entity in this demo looks about like what I would expect from TV. I would have handled it differently conceptually as well as technically, but it looks pretty good for what you could wring out of LW on a tight schedule with little post trickery. I would certainly hire Bruce to do FX (or anything) based on this demo since I know how much worse most LW FX demos look. LW just aint the best tool for organic FX and few artists have really invested a lot of time into it. But Stooch's initial comment lacked any constructive input and did not reflect any understanding of how VFX production works. If it was intended as humour, it only came across as insensitive.

This is the type of effect that is often subjectively vague in initial concept and difficult for anyone to lock onto how it will actually work in the final plate before the artist just gets in there and R&D's stuff (yeah, how does smoke grab anything). The look and behavior may evolve as the client sees iterations, which is a nightmare if he tries to micromanage what he himself may not have a clear vision of. Then time runs out and you go with whatever is halfway working. I am dissatisfied with many shots Ive worked on that management and clients approved.

In my experience, the VFX team usually wants something 'cooler' than what the client wants. I can only recall 2 projects where 'we' were on the same page as the director, but usually the artists are only frustrated with the direction. Many projects have more than one chef in the kitchen, and then also the owners of the kitchen to contend with, all pulling in different directions daily as the FX artists lose sleep, hair and sanity as their creative soul gets smacked around like a paddle ball. :bangwall:

Many times production shoots a plate with little or no input from the post team (or commit the greatest FX sin of having NO FX supe present during an FX shot:foreheads) and we just have to make it work within restrictions of the action and timing that may not follow clear logic or physics. Rarely in VFX do you get 100% of what you really wanted. You are doing good to get 75% of what you originally envision as you make compromises for time, technical problems, artist allocation, and client demands. Most entertainment production is a compromising balance of time and money where vision takes an uncomfortable back seat, especially in TV preoccupied with ratings and target marketing.

But if anyone feels like their willing suspension of disbelief was shattered by a jarringly unconvincing effect in the middle of an otherwise engaging episode or movie, then you have only the directors/producers vision or lack thereof to blame. If they were not happy with the smoke entity, then they should have changed it. If they approved it, then Bruce did his job and has no responsibility for viewers that may change the channel.

Stooch
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I dont watch TV shows (beyond Stewart/Colbert and Adult Swim). Am rarely impressed with TV FX and dont care to work on them because they tend to have prohibitive schedules, so the smoke entity in this demo looks about like what I would expect from TV. I would have handled it differently conceptually as well as technically, but it looks pretty good for what you could wring out of LW on a tight schedule with little post trickery. I would certainly hire Bruce to do FX (or anything) based on this demo since I know how much worse most LW FX demos look. LW just aint the best tool for organic FX and few artists have really invested a lot of time into it. But Stooch's initial comment lacked any constructive input and did not reflect any understanding of how VFX production works. If it was intended as humour, it only came across as insensitive.

This is the type of effect that is often subjectively vague in initial concept and difficult for anyone to lock onto how it will actually work in the final plate before the artist just gets in there and tries stuff (yeah, how does smoke grab anything). The look and behavior may evolve as the client sees iterations, which is a nightmare if he tries to micromanage what he himself does not have a clear vision of. Then time runs out and you go with whatever is halfway working. I am dissatisfied with many shots Ive worked on that management and clients approved..

yep i deal with that every day, im suprised that you would assume that i dont. lol. you think i just sit at home all day and doodle? There is always stuff that im unhappy with and clients alot of times get in the way. I just dont use those projects in my reel. Now im glad people are confident and happy with it, i just saw a problem and gave a technical reason as to why i think it looks bad.

Again, i dont share your povs. please dont try to tell me how to post because i dont tell you how to. I value an honest feedback, even negative, 1000000x more than *** kissing or some righteous dissertation :) I am fully able to rationalize with anyone who makes an "insensitve" comment, without even talking to them. I know what it takes to do production and there is lots of things that go unsaid, so I never have to take anything personally.

if you have thin skin and cant handle criticism then use what i just posted as constructive self improvement, so that you can adapt instead of always expecting everyone else to change for you :)

Mr Rid
02-26-2009, 07:58 PM
yep i deal with that every day, im suprised that you would assume that i dont. lol.

My comment was not only in response to yours.

But your comment, "i just wanted to say that you ruined lost for me. now i know who is responsible for the horrible effects" clearly assumes Branit was soley responsible for the look of the FX in Lost. If you deal with production clients every day, then you should well understand that the FX artist is most unlikely to have final say on the look of the show. So the comment seems wholly irrelevant.

Again, i dont share your povs. please dont try to tell me how to post because i dont tell you how to.

I never told you how to post. I just stated that your comment lacked any constructive input- a criticism of your post, which you should be able to take into consideration, being a professional who understands criticism so well.

For example, if the only feedback you received on your work from a supervisor was, 'It looks horrible!,' then it is difficult to progress toward accomodating that supervisor. It's more efficient to be specific about what it is you dont like, make suggestions, and use reference, etc.

I value an honest feedback, even negative, 1000000x more than *** kissing or some righteous dissertation :) I am fully able to rationalize with anyone who makes an "insensitve" comment, without even talking to them.

There is nothing wrong with encouraging what you like in a demo. Your sole comment seemed to condemn Branit altogether. But if all people do is say your demo looks horrible and you are to be blamed for perceived failures of the projects you work on, it doesn't exactly help you as an artist to improve or understand what may not be working as effectively as it could.

I know what it takes to do production and there is lots of things that go unsaid, so I never have to take anything personally.

Yet you exemplify an attitude that says you do not know what it takes to do production. It only takes one rub the wrong way to ruin opportunites for yourself that can follow your career around for years.

You may view yourself as thick-skinned, yet you only seem defensive at the slightest critique. And if one person is thick-skinned, doesn't mean everyone else is or should be. That's what you might consider being 'sensitive' about.

if you have thin skin and cant handle criticism then use what i just posted as constructive self improvement, so that you can adapt instead of always expecting everyone else to change for you :)

Since you understand how to take and dish criticism so well, then you should be able to listen to criticism of your posts, right? You might consider that thousands of fellow artists and people in a position to possibly aid or employ you may be turned off by such an aggressive and short-sighted comment. Brash comments may only serve to reflect badly on yourself. Just a thought.

Personally, I dont care much what the attitude is in people I work with. They dont have to be 'nice' or enthusiastic, but that's just me (most people do care). I am primarily concerned with whether or not they can excel at the task assigned and solve problems. If so, then I find that the right attitude follows with the appropriate encouragement and constructive criticism on my part.

Stooch
02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
well if i may. i just want to say that for all your typing you have added absolutely nothing that would help to improve the work we are discussing. so far all you have emitted is hot air with 0 helpful feedback. as far as i can see, you just listed a bunch of excuses for what i think is an inferior result. so if it was followed to conclusion, the shot will remain as it was... inferior. harsh or not, i actually gave an actual crit and added ways to improve the shot. all you have done is sat on your pedestal and tried to play the "i am holier than thou" card that in the end doesnt get anyone anywhere (in addition to making blatantly false accusations that i dont have production experience).

so, take it as a crit of your crit. yours is empty of substance. mine actually allows room for redemption. I havent seen you actually give any kind of technical feedback other than hypothetical *** kissing....

take it as you will. my pov still remains the same. i still maintain that the shots in question ahve taken me out of the mood of the series. I also find it odd that you claim that i "condemned" his work entirely, when i clearly stated "NICE REEL" at the very beginning of my post. Its kind of odd that you missed that. hmm... unless of course you feel like being righteous for the sake of righteousness. Excuses dont really mean much to me. Quoting select lines that i stated while ignoring the meat of my crit doesnt really prove anything to anyone, other than the fact that you like to argue and appear righteous... if you want to make a point that im an insensitive *******... well i wont argue with that. i am an insensitive ashole. im not concerned with your feelings as much as im concerned with the overall impact of your work. if you prefer to hear from people who want to sugar coat their crits for you, then thats your prerogative. from where im sitting, if you choose to ignore my pov, you are only huirting yourself. again... take it as you will.

if you are smart, you will know how to make the best of it. if you are a sensitive pansy... well.. with time you will see the virtue of waht im trying to say. it will take you longer to get there... but you will get there eventually. Personally, I know exactly the kind of feedback that I value. And this is exactly the kind of feedback that i dish out. You may not agree with me, and i invite you to deliver an honest critique. just dont spew all this PC crap to me, you are definitelly not preaching to the choir, infact you are just derailing a thread and robbing the OP of the critique that he deserves.

and if you develop hard feelings towards me as a result of this.. then so be it. personally i would rather foster relationships with people who are able to take my critiques as well as they dish them out.

and dont get me wrong, i totally see your POV and i totally see how you are trying to "improve" my interaction with others. i just wholeheartedly disagree with your methods. I prefer to be the ******* that tells you when something isnt working. i think that a true artist will appreciate what im trying to do... But once and for all... i just want to make it clear that the route you are taking - has no destination.

CGI Addict
02-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Stooch, two words: Tact and Discretion. Grow up for pete's sake. Stop the defensive posturing man. You can impress upon someone what your think without all the petty "my skin is thicker than yours so you should deal with it" routine.

Seriously, start acting a bit more professional in your commentary.

Stooch
02-27-2009, 12:17 AM
and what if i dont? Then what.. i wont look "professional" to you? some random wanker with nothing to say?

clearly you have nothing to add to this. you have no oppinion other than to join this little circus and act like a righteous ****. hence... your words mean nothing. you dont have any critique. you cant offer anything that is remotely helpful to the OP. all you can do is ***** at me and enjoy the 4 seconds of fame on your little pedestal...

enjoy it while it lasts buddy. ill reserve my attention to someone who has a bit more substance to share....

Attacking other forum members is not allowed, Dimitry. You're BANNED for 30 days

CGI Addict
02-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Haha, lol, I tried to help.

Stooch
02-27-2009, 12:24 AM
and you failed. clearly you lack the requisite knowledge to bark up this tree. I would say, "nice try" but you dont really deserve it.

wildr3d
02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Great work Nicolas, and thanks for sharing Branits reel with everyone. Many people here saw the reel and are fans of the shows you've worked on. You posted your reel to share not for the circus this forum has turned into.

I leave criticisms for reels that show up here with artists looking for employment or asked for them in the first place.

Be sure to drop a reel by here if your ever looking for work. And speaking of work I have to get back to mine so, thanks for playing everyone...out;)

Skittixch
02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Wow you guys. Chill.

dandeentremont
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Be sure to drop a reel by here if your ever looking for work. And speaking of work I have to get back to mine so, thanks for playing everyone...out;)

Gabe says hi.

nickolasstevens
02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Gabe says hi.

Hi Gabe :)

spunkyfl
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I miss Gabe :)

Thnx for the comments everyone. I'm glad I can be a part of the Branit Team. Like others have said, quality is usually determined by client and deadline restrictions, however we'll always be looking to gain the best quality standard that we can.

Larry_g1s
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Very cool reel. My 2 cents....when it comes to vfx reels (and you did it for some shots), it's important to show the shot, then quickly show what you did by revealing the green screen, wireframe, etc. I think it really brings what vfx work you did home to the viewer. Nice work.

Greenlaw
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey everybody,

Did I miss anything? :)

Greenlaw

CGI Addict
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Naw, check out Nickolas reel though, pretty impressive. I agree with Larry, some behind the scenes stuff would be interesting to watch.

Great reel nonetheless. Saw "405" again, funny, funny stuff.

nickolasstevens
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Naw, check out Nickolas reel though, pretty impressive. I agree with Larry, some behind the scenes stuff would be interesting to watch.

Great reel nonetheless. Saw "405" again, funny, funny stuff.

Just to clarify this isn't my personal reel, but the Branit VFX Corporate Reel (my employer). Sorry if there was any confusion.

Mr Rid
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
and what if i dont? Then what.. i wont look "professional" to you? some random wanker with nothing to say?

clearly you have nothing to add to this. you have no oppinion other than to join this little circus and act like a righteous ****. hence... your words mean nothing. you dont have any critique. you cant offer anything that is remotely helpful to the OP. all you can do is ***** at me and enjoy the 4 seconds of fame on your little pedestal...

enjoy it while it lasts buddy. ill reserve my attention to someone who has a bit more substance to share....

Attacking other forum members is not allowed, Dimitry. You're BANNED for 30 days

Wow... so "lost." RIP.