PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit a "Marvel" of an NLE

mvansomeren
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
One thing I really like about SE is its versitility.

I was watching the recent Ironman and Hulk movies and wondered if I could make the Marvel Comics intro that each of those films share in SpeedEdit without any outside applications such as After Effects.

After a few minutes of tinkering, I found that it was very simple just using Crop, Blur, Copy, and inherit...and a bunch of scanned comic book pages.

Here's the end result of about 20 mins worth of work:

www.exposureroom.com/comic

password = comic

let me know what you think

:D

ScorpioProd
02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Very nice. :thumbsup:

02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Great

PointC
02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Aren't you the creative one. I would have gone straight to AE for that. Nice job. :thumbsup:

mvansomeren
02-25-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah, I just wanted to see if it could be done with just SE. I think it's actually a little harder to do in AE. Or maybe just more tedious.

ted
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Nice work. I saw some of the shorcuts you took. but for 99% of projects out there this would have been more than good enough.
All too often, we think we have to throw all the tools at a project when working smarter is often best.

mvansomeren
02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Exactly! I try to do as much as I can within SE before going to another application. It avoids generational loss and many times, it's just easier/faster. Cleary sometimes it can't be avoided. Photoshop, for example, is almost always open when I'm doing some editing.

Quiet1onTheSet
02-26-2009, 12:53 PM
yeah, I just wanted to see if it could be done with just SE. I think it's actually a little harder to do in AE. Or maybe just more tedious.That's quite impressive, Marcel. :hey:

mvansomeren
02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Q1

DiscreetFX
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
SpeedEDIT is a great app.

joseburgos
03-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Nice work but you may want this attached zip to enhance your already great job.
Play with it's key frames, colors, font or anything else to add your special touch. Then either use inherit on your existing font clip or just replace it with it and you have a animation that very much is a copy of the Marvel Comic intro using SpeedEdit ;)
Here is a web site I use for comic fonts and other goodies;
http://www.blambot.com/

Again great job :thumbsup:

PS Change the 2nd Key Tolerance to 0 (zero). This makes for a smoother transition and also gives you an idea on what things to fiddle with :)

Take care,

mvansomeren
03-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Jose. I'll give it a try.

The project I'm currently working on for a client will have a Marvel-esq type of intro. They already have the fonts they want to use so I'll keep this in my bag of tricks for another time.

joseburgos
03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
No problem. The keying effect is the part that you would use with any font to reproduce the exact effect from the Marvel intro animation (besides the comic book pages).

This "template" I made uses the color red just as Marvel does but can easily be changed to any color. The key-framed keying that changes the fonts to reveal what is behind them as well as the fading of the red color to tint the background allows you to mimic the effect. As a matter of fact, you need to adjust the key-frames to make the red become solid so as to mimic the effect 100%.

Enjoy and hope you show off some more of your work,

mvansomeren
03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks. I will likely post the completed project which should be in a month or so. We're shooting the exterior scenes on Sunday.

Mutley Eugenius
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
That's pretty sweet. How did you get the motion blurring? Was that with the vertical blur effect keyframed to go to zero when the picture arrives?

Imagine it with page curls!

mvansomeren
09-09-2009, 09:03 AM
It was basically just a wipe that is blurred vertically over the previous unblurred frame and then reveals an unblurred version of the same image used in the wipe. You then just stack layers of the FX with different images.

I wanted to immitate the Marvel opening so page curls were out. But, it is an interesting idea.