PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit to how many clip maps a scene can have?

jpleonard
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Hello all,

I'm working on an arch vis project and I have about 2400 plants that are clip maps with alpha maps applied to polys. When I exceeded about 400 the newer ones stopped rendering. I've checked all the setting and tried several camera types but have had no luck getting them to render. only about half of the clip mapped vegitation renders.

Any ideas?

If not I guess I'll delete all and start over.

jpleonard
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
everytime I exceed 362 nulls with the clip mapped veggitation they stop rendering. Like 363, 364, and so on won't render...I have 4 gB ram and it's only using 700 mb for the render....Is there some limit to the number of nulls that I can have or objects in a scene, or number of clip maps...This really sucks, makes lightwave almost useless for this type of work unless you got the cash for hd instance or something of that nature.

biliousfrog
02-26-2009, 04:53 AM
It's always been a PITA to use clip maps and transparencies in Lightwave when there's several clipped objects overlapping. All I can suggest is trying to use the clip map in the transparency channel instead and also check/uncheck raytraced transparency...try a combo of those things and see how you get on.

Giacomo99
02-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Different cameras handle clip mapping differently. Sometimes the Perspective Camera will do them correctly if the Classic Camera doesn't.

I agree with biliousfrog, though—it should work ALL the time and it's a hassle it doesn't.

dwburman
02-27-2009, 11:33 PM
You can also try raising the ray recursion level.

archijam
02-28-2009, 03:25 AM
You can also try raising the ray recursion level.

this was my thought too.

That said, haven't had any issues recently... they work well on HD Instance xfrog trees too (every leaf clipmapped, with different front and back textures ...)

jpleonard
03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Okay, thanks guys. I've tried everything I can think of. The scene has 6900+ objects, 4.3 million polys. 2300 clip maps. I load the scene once I get nothing but 400 trees, revert to last saved, and the land and buildings with the original 400 trees show up, revert to last saved again and I get the 800+ bamboo plants to show up. Nothing else comes through after that.

Everything shows up in open GL display, but does not render, when I mentioned shows up after reverting to last saved, I mean it renders, everything always shows up in the open GL display....this really sucks. Thanks for the pointers everyone.