PDA

View Full Version : How to create Iris in fixed position

donx
02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to create an iris in a fixed position for the whole clip. Just an image in a soft circle in the middle of the screen.
In other software I would use a transition and change the motion and size parameters to be the same for the entire length. I can't figure out how to accomplish this in Speed Edit.
Any suggestions?:help:

SBowie
02-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Are you saying you would like the entire clip to appear as a vignette?

donx
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Yes I would like to create a vignette. I have created a shape in Photoshop and brought it in as a TGA still frame but is there a way within Speed Edit to accomplish this. Maybe by freezing an iris (circle) transition. That's how I used to do it in Speed Razor.

SBowie
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes I would like to create a vignette. I have created a shape in Photoshop and brought it in as a TGA still frame but is there a way within Speed Edit to accomplish this. Maybe by freezing an iris (circle) transition. That's how I used to do it in Speed Razor.You can't really do it that way, but maybe you would find the result from the Colored Border options in the Control Tree satisfactory.

In the first image below you can see I just raised the number of sides to 36 and then fooled around with smoothing values. The interesting 'starburst' in the other image resulted from simply changing the Radius Multipliers a bit.

p.s. - kind of cool that this could be animated, as well. :)

donx
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks Steve. I'll experiment with the Coloured Borders feature. It could give me even more options than I anticipated.

SBowie
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I'll experiment with the Coloured Borders feature.Ooh, how cool is that - someone who spells coloured the same way I do. :D

Dufusyte
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but this appears to be easy to solve.

Just take your tga, which I presume is a dark border with a transparent center, and place it under the video clip. Make sure the tga is set to Overlay so the alpha in the center will be transparent. As for the length, just drag the border of the tga so it is the same length as the video clip. The tga representation might show stripes if you over-extend it, but it should not cause harm. You can always change your options for still image length to be 60 seconds or something if you want to avoid over-extension.

And since SpeedEdit interprets premultiplied semi-transparent areas as semi-dark, you can get an extra nice shadow in the semi-transparent areas.

SBowie
02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Well .... hmmmm - I assumed from post #3 that donx had already done it that way, but was looking for something different.

donx
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm experimenting with both techniques.:thumbsup:
The TGA is limited as a mask, because you can't animate the size or movement without revealing the edges of the frame. (well maybe with a huge TGA)
... and the colOUred borders are limited as to the shapes you can make.
At least they can be created within Speed Edit without going to Photoshop. I may design a library of assorted TGA shapes for future use.
thanks all.

The video I was working on is now posted here in Hi Def:
http://vimeo.com/3362658
I didn't get any Vignettes in it but the future will be framed :hey:

Dufusyte
02-27-2009, 07:20 AM
The TGA is limited as a mask, because you can't animate the size or movement without revealing the edges of the frame. (well maybe with a huge TGA)
TGA, Scale=105%

joseburgos
03-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Give this a try.
Add it to the project as it is a title effect and will overlay over your project.
Key-frame the size to animate the pinhole iris as well as it's X and Y size to fit to your frame.
Play with any of the settings to also fit your needs.

Good luck,