PDA

View Full Version : What is the best machine for high end work with LW?

shrox
02-24-2009, 06:18 AM
I also asked tech support about this:

I know this has been asked before, but I need to know the optimal hardware for running Lightwave. We have had to return one set of computers already, even though they were brand new and built for us, they just can't run LW without crashing or being very slow. What does Newtek use? I can't afford to keep trying and returning computers, as we have a movie to make!

Lightwolf
02-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Wow, what kind of machines did you have?

Anything Quad Core with a semi-decent nVidia board should be just fine... and a Quadro if you can afford it.
Then again, I've never had issues with LW on any machine I've built...

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
I'd also go with Vista/XP x64 for the OS these days.
Absolutely. Actually, I'd go with Vista x64 and not bother with XP 64 either...

Cheers,
Mike

prospector
02-24-2009, 06:35 AM
Vista???????????

Yea anything Quad and at least GeForce 7950 GT and above.
As for renderfarm? All q8800 quads and they may or may not be integrated. They are cheep enoug.

And XP-64

shrox
02-24-2009, 06:48 AM
We had them built, but I was not here. They have a very difficult time with LW and Photoshop CS4, and can not run Premiere Pro CS4. Memory management seems to be the problem, here is what I know is inside:

Intel Core 2 Quad
ASUS P5Q-E motherboard
4 gigs RAM
GeForce GTX 280
Samsung HD103UJ (a terabyte)
XP64

I am using some huge maps (Earth and the UK, 40,000x20,000 pixels), but I have run stuff that big before on a "lesser" machine. What gives?

Mike_RB
02-24-2009, 06:52 AM
We had them built, but I was not here. They have a very difficult time with LW and Photoshop CS4, and can not run Premiere Pro CS4. Memory management seems to be the problem, here is what I know is inside:

Intel Core 2 Quad
ASUS P5Q-E motherboard
4 gigs RAM
GeForce GTX 280
Samsung HD103UJ (a terabyte)
XP64

I am using some huge maps (Earth and the UK, 40,000x20,000 pixels), but I have run stuff that big before on a "lesser" machine. What gives?

Thats almost the same specs as my machine, add 4more GB and substitute the geforce for a quadro3700fx. I've had no problems, but I haven't been using images of that size.

shrox
02-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Ok, time for the big "M" question, will we be happier with Macs?

biliousfrog
02-24-2009, 07:01 AM
perhaps the problem is with..... dun dun daaaaah...Lightwave?

CS4 is really buggy, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, they're all really finicky. I'm staying with CS3 until they fix all of the problems.

I thought that 9.6 was quite stable initially but I'm getting crashes in modeller constantly at the moment. I've got a shortcut to the hub's autosave folder on my desktop and I just leave it open all day...had 4 crashes so far today. Layout is really unstable too if you keep modeller open, one or the other will always crash.

If you want to do high-end work, get a high-end workstation. A gamers PC will work very well but the support and components offered by a company such as BOXX will make your life a hell of a lot easier. You could contact them with the problems and they'll almost definitely be able to offer a solution...try asking a general PC manufacturer about Lightwave problems and you'll just get talked through the windows help system.

mattclary
02-24-2009, 07:17 AM
If you want to do high-end work, get a high-end workstation. A gamers PC will work very well but the support and components offered by a company such as BOXX will make your life a hell of a lot easier.

Sorry, going to have to call bullsh1t on this. The only difference in what he has (had before returning?) and something from Boxx is his video card, and LightWave does not take advantage of the Quadro that would have been included with a Boxx. Asus is a VERY reputable mobo company. Boxx does not have access to some secret stash of high quality parts that no one else does. Now, what you "might" gain from going with Boxx, is getting a properly configured machine. I could put one together, but based on what Shrox says, I don't thing their builder was capable of doing it.

shrox
02-24-2009, 07:32 AM
The guy I am training is getting blue screens of death even in modeller, just moving the viewport! I am hoping we can get this working soon, I guessed it was configuration, but I am not knowledgeable in that area. I'm just a user...

akademus
02-24-2009, 07:38 AM
I work on one HP xw8600 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-12454-296719-307907-296721-3432827.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) workstation and one xw6600 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/12454-12454-296719-307907-296721-3432821-3432822-3884195.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20xw6600%20Workstation&lang=en&cc=us) (8 and 4 core Xeon processors) with Quadro cards and 8gigs of ram.

They work like charm. I have had only a couple of crashes (usually Modeler) Had some minor troubles with 6600 (slow rendering) which was fixed with the latest BIOS upgrade. They are fairly quite and I almost never turn them off.

Quadro cards also have Lightwave presets for OpenGL performance.

Other place I would look is Boxx.

In full steam production environment you don't have time to screw around with hardware and you cant' afford to loose data, so investing in a brand name workstation pays off at the end of the day.

Kuzey
02-24-2009, 07:42 AM
lol, no!

Currently you are limited to a 32-bit environment. A poor selection of plug-ins and last but not least the fact that most software performs worse under OSX than under Windows.

The Mac version of LW is not the same as the PC version, it has more bugs. Most of them are interface related, which were left in to make the transition to Cocoa 64bit easier and less work...which is a brave move I must say.

Anyway......yes, forget about Mac's until the software is equal to the PC version. Unless...you specifically want to use final cut pro and the like.

Kuzey

shrox
02-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Well, I might be able to get this local company to give us credit and build AND configure for us. I swiped Neverko's specs on his signature, and forwarded them to my boss.

Now we wait...

Mike_RB
02-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Read the motherbaord manufacturer's tested RAM list for that MB. Buy only from that. 'Whatever' ram = bad.

biliousfrog
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Sorry, going to have to call bullsh1t on this. The only difference in what he has (had before returning?) and something from Boxx is his video card, and LightWave does not take advantage of the Quadro that would have been included with a Boxx. Asus is a VERY reputable mobo company. Boxx does not have access to some secret stash of high quality parts that no one else does. Now, what you "might" gain from going with Boxx, is getting a properly configured machine. I could put one together, but based on what Shrox says, I don't thing their builder was capable of doing it.

Boxx builds computers using the same components that are readily available to everyone (apart from the case) but the difference is that they spend R&D time testing everything to ensure that they all work together with CG software and their support staff know and use the CG software with their systems. So, in the first instance, the computer would work straight from the box and secondly, in the unlikely event that there was a problem, they will try their best to resolve the issue ASAP.

All I was saying is that if you need professional tools and the backup and support that comes with it, buy from a professional.

BTW, ASUS motherboards might be great but their customer service is horrendous. I'm currently in a legal battle over a laptop that I sent for repair under warranty in September which they lost and they now claim that they don't owe me anything.

Glendalough
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Ok, time for the big "M" question, will we be happier with Macs?

Macs are cool and make you happy!

You can run both Vista 64 bits and Leopard, and the 8 core base model is dirt cheap if you get the ram from the right source in the U.S.

realgray
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
9.6 on my Macpro has been running a dream.

Stooch
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
amiga

JonW
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
For a movie as you said, you need a few computers (lots) and a handful of 920s with 6 or 12 gb ram each, is my preference.

New computers, you want to buy as much Ghz per box per $

Keep the old boxes, do a full re install, then use them for a render farm. You will get next to nothing for second hand computers.

And any other computers in the office can be used on the render farm overnight when they are doing nothing, might as well get them working as well in this day and age!

Get a good UPS, at least for the main computer (MGE Evolution S, or similar you can add extra batteries)

Cheap box for the render farm (graphics & DVD you only need for set-up)

Intel i7 920 CPU
GA EX58 UD4 Motherboard*
12G DDR 3* 1600 MHz* PC12800** ( 6 x 2G )
500G HDD Seagate* SATA II with 32mb Cache
512mb Geforce 8600GT PCI Express with DVI
iCute case with 220mm Large side fan* and 550W Power USB in front
20 Speed* DVD RW
Windows XP Pro*or Vista 64 bit

LW_Will
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I've been having fewer problems with the Mac than the PC versions of Lightwave and the OS in general. (WinXP/ Windows 7/ OS X 10.5.5)

IF you can convince your people, get the Mac Pro's with a good amount of RAM (obtainable from somewhere else, it will be cheaper than Apple) and using BOOT CAMP run Whatever on it. It WILL run XP better than comparable PC hardware (reviewers and my experience) it will also run 64bit OS's including XP, Vista and Windows 7. Win7 is not a released OS yet, but it is very good, clean, and powerful system. If you are doing this job for more than 2 years, I'd recommend getting it and using it. (really, its Vista SP3, but don't tell anyone.)

Also, if you get dual boot OS X/Windows systems, you are open to the Pro Apps from Apple; Final Cut and Motion just to name two. These are VERY good and very established programs. Premiere Pro MIGHT be just as good, but it has a very long way to prove itself and the 3rd release is still too early. (IMHO, of course...)

Now, you can get a program to let Windows run on a Mac, but they are limited in memory and addressable RAM. It does work, but again, if you are using HUGE maps... not so much...

Wow... this is fun spending some one else's money.

JonW
02-25-2009, 03:20 AM
I have both MACs & PCs, I do a few minor LW things on the Mac (they are a bit old) plus a lot of other stuff. But for shear number crunching I use PCs (E5450 V8, E5335 V8, 940, 920). You can build or have built, exactly the PC for the job, for a lot less money. Net worked together you can do anything between the Mac & PC.

For render nodes, there is absolutely no point spending money on expensive components & nice looking cases that are not needed, they won’t render any faster & they are better off in a back room out of sight & ears any way.

For a Work Station if funds are a bit tight, use the same computer (say a i7 920), but add a few more hard drives, a 1 gb graphics card etc.

(I’ve got a 280GTX graphic card in one computer, unless I’m doing a massive scene, there is not a lot of difference compared to a cheaper 9800, even a dirt cheap 8600 is not that bad for the smaller scenes. Up graded them any time you want.)

steamthunk
03-01-2009, 08:58 AM
First thing to check is the BSOD error codes. If there's no other specific info on the error screen these codes can often guide you in the right direction via a bit of Google searching. You can often uncover hardware failures this way.

If you get IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors, you might be looking at faulty memory. SYSTEM_OWNED_MUTEX errors can very well be hardware conflicts.

You might also want to run memtest+ for a couple of cycles to see if any nasties pop up. If you run Vista you can use the memtester from the boot loader.

I thought I had bad memory when I upgraded to the mobo max. Blue screen city (like 1 every 2 hours) for more than 6GB. Turns out what I really needed was a bios upgrade and now I never blue screen. If you haven't already, look for updates to bios as well.