PDA

View Full Version : curtains..

lazyanimator
02-24-2009, 05:26 AM
can anybody point me to a tutorial showing how to model and animate curtains billowing in the wind? I know there was a tutorial around here somewhere but cant find it.

Many Thanks...

safetyman
02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Try this: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

In the dynamics section there's a tutorial on a flag blowing in the wind, but you could probably apply the techniques to other things.

blindsided
02-24-2009, 07:00 AM
There used to be a Newtek hosted tutorial titled
'Making Curtains with Motion Designer'
but I cant find it anywhere.
maybe someone has it offline?

SplineGod
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I usually go with splines.

blindsided
02-25-2009, 03:14 AM
this was the outcome of the tutorial i refered to , cant find the tutorial though

THREEL
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Check out William Vaughan's tutorial on creating a flag blowing in the wind. This might be what you're looking for.

I'm trying to set up a link to this without much success. Just look under the 24+ hours of free training Sticky at the top of the tips and tricks section of the forum.

SplineGod
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Heres something that took about 10 minutes to model and setup.
Open the object in modeler. Youll see the spline cage in layer1. Layer two is the polys created from the spline cage. Layer 3 is the curtain with some thickness. The last layer is a simple proxy object that the curtain is metalinked to in layout.

In layout select the proxy object and click on the calculate button in the dynamics tab.

THREEL
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Larry,

I know this isn't my thread, but I have a couple of questions. 1. How do you convert the spline cage into polys? 2. Is there any way you could convert the scene to ver. 8.x? I have 8.5 and was unable to open the scene in the link.

tHANX!

AL

SplineGod
02-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Select the splines counterclockwise and hit ctrl + f to patch the splines (make the polys). The splines form guides to determine how the polys inside are created.

If you load the object into layout you just need to parent the thick curtain to the proxy object AND metalink it to the proxy object. Apply clothfx to the proxy object and go from there. Theres a weight map on the proxy object so you can fix the top.

THREEL
02-28-2009, 12:07 AM
That will work. It just takes some trial-and-error to get what you want.

tHANX again, Larry!