PDA

View Full Version : What you wanna see of new or remade in future versions?

probiner
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
What you guys would like to see changed in LW?

My request list:

-Multiple snaps options.

-Paint polygons Selection Mode option: better visualiation in my opinion than edge paint many times.

-Paint Overlaping Geometry - polygons with points with same coordinates, repeated geometry (imagine a acidental copy&paste into same layer) and overlaping UV.

-Better Knife Tool. Allowing to draw more than 2 points and make solids to Cut.

-2<P>5 Mode: 1 point poly and 2 point poly can be created and are erased automaticly; N-gons are painted.

-Display Option that allows points to show up in other "wire modes" like in COlor Wireframe.Sometimes its handy.
-Display Option that allows to control the opacity of the wireframe. Or make it mouse radius visible like in N-sided programs.

-More axis and origin integrated operations in all Modify tools like in Translate Plus. And add Selection Center and Pivot to the Translate plus options.

-Spline Guide using Backgound Spline for base values and not just for altered values.
-Spline Guide II, using spline normals to do the same operations that Spline Guide. Instead of moving points, user draws a spline or captures one from background. Instead of moving the points the user clicks and drag to atribute values to each point in the spline. This would be fine to edit a S tube shape.

-Slide Edge and Slide Point. In general i would like to see LW using more of existing geometry to orient modifications on the model.

-3 value copy and paste command or button in Info. Used for XYZ, RBG, HPB and UVW. Imagine to copy the HPB on a item and paste it on another item in one operation. Or copying a point XYZ and use that info for center of Rotation.

-Geometry Info Node: use Selection Sets, Parts, Uv Maps, Weight Maps, Number of poitns related, number of polygons related, whatever info tou got on geometry. Its a good way, for example, to mask surfaces without having to create multiple surfaces, just using Parts.

-Take a look at modo, since they copy a lot of lightwave way of doing things but improved at some points :P

IMI
02-23-2009, 09:44 PM
-Paint Overlaping Geometry - polygons with points with same coordinates, repeated geometry (imagine a acidental copy&paste into same layer) and overlaping UV.

Yeah, that's a good one, definitely.
Reminds me too, that I'd like to see a "purge memory" or "purge history" tool, for those times when you know you did what you want, although it may be very subtle, and want to not accidentally undo it. Currently, you have to close the model and reload it for that.
For that matter, the Recent Files list should include all recent files, including incremental saves. Currently, if you do an incremental save and close Modeler, your very most recent incremental save will not be in the list when you reopen it - only the most recently LOADED version will be.

realgray
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
UV tools

probiner
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Well ill keep posting what i remind in the way. You guys do the same if tou want.

- Alpha input in the main Surface node, to texture the surfaces alpha in render.

- Something like; Slect points A and D and straight the points B and C , connected to A and D in Between to the se connected in between.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Foruns/Untitled-1.gif

cresshead
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
HG wells war of the worlds...following the book and not the woolywood cut short nonsense mr spellbound threw out...happy families n all that rubbish after such a great start....

https://intranet.sahra.arizona.edu:8443/posters/images/large/War%20of%20the%20Worlds%205.jpg

IMI
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
- Something like; Slect points A and D and straight the points B and C , connected to A and D in Between to the se connected in between.

You already can do that, by selecting the points and using the stretch tool on them. Although if your model is angled in increments between 90 degrees to any one of the axes, you can't. That's one example where a construction plane would really come in handy.

probiner
02-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Yep contruction plane is a very good way to improve axis indeed.

When im workin in non organic models i feel there's so much that could be a lot more direct, straight to what you want. And sometimes all the necessary info for that is already there in some edges direction, polygons position, ect, but no way to take advantage of that to model.

IMI
02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
I would like a render log file.
Like, when you render out an image sequence, I would like to see LW create a text file and place it in the same folder showing the render time and other pertinent data for each individual frame.

IMI
02-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Or just better action center options and rotate/scale/transform handles (scale in this case) :)

We modo users are forever ruined. ;)

IMI
02-28-2009, 08:52 PM
I'd like to see the render window stop minimizing itself right on top of my Objects button.
I'd like to see the render window maintain a cache of renders even after it's closed, with a slider to scroll across the current selection and the previous render, for comparison purposes.

Costanel
03-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Ever tried the Visor plugin? Does almost exactly what you want.
There is a vid on the NT page.

I totally agree with the snapping and the construction planes, using this in LWCAD really helps modelling.

Furthermore I would like more options for making railings etc with a history, so it can be edited easily.

IMI
03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Ever tried the Visor plugin? Does almost exactly what you want.
There is a vid on the NT page.

No I haven't. Never heard of it. Where on the NT page? I just looked all over.

probiner
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Or just better action center options and rotate/scale/transform handles (scale in this case) :)

You still can't to that with Translate Plus with wich has good axis and origin.

probiner
03-01-2009, 07:41 PM
This page is a gold mine :D
PICTRIX ftw. http://www.pictrix.jp

Former issue already resolved with this: http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/kinto/ EDIT: ups not quite, works only with unconnected geometry

*Pete*
03-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd like to see the render window maintain a cache of renders even after it's closed, with a slider to scroll across the current selection and the previous render, for comparison purposes.

is it not possible to get rendertimes into the metadata of the individual images already?..or am i mistaken?
(ah...you want to see it in an animation)

heres what i want...image filters AFTER render.
meaning, you render your image without imagefilters, then play with different filters on the imageviewer window and adjust settings so that they will fit...instead of spending ten minutes on a render only to find out that you got too much/not enough bloom or other effect.

those are all added post render anyway, so why the need to select them pre-render?

probiner
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Nice one.
Yes tunning those filters could be a lot more interesting and less "lets me get to the end to see if it is fine. Oh, crap its not!" that way.
That means you could import images to LW and aply same filters to other images? ^^

IMI
03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
is it not possible to get rendertimes into the metadata of the individual images already?..or am i mistaken?
(ah...you want to see it in an animation)

You can do that, yeah, but I think you confused that with my request for a text log with that info in it.

I'd just like to see the image viewer set up for an easy comparison between images in its buffer or cache or whatever you call it. Page Up/Page Down doesn't work so well when you want to compare your 17th render with your 3rd. It would be cool to be able to delete the ones in between, for example. Something like that. I think I got this idea from the last 3ds max demo I tried. Max's image viewer has something like that where you can transition between stored images easily.

It's not a big deal, really, just a suggestion. I'm not one to demand LW includes the kitchen sink, and there are alot of other things I'd put at a higher priority. ;)

Lightwolf
03-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd just like to see the image viewer set up for an easy comparison between images in its buffer or cache or whatever you call it.
Are you aware of the "p" option in the image viewer?

Cheers,
Mike

IMI
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Are you aware of the "p" option in the image viewer?

Cheers,
Mike

No, what's that?
I'd check but I have LW rendering an image sequence right now, for probably about another two hours.

probiner
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes sometimes i want to delete some images in middle too. I either save the ones i want or re-render them... (saving is normally better, since i can compare criteria as the project goes).

Question: does metadata already include, Camera Zoom factor, MB passes, Activated Raytrace options, GI and so on...?
Could be cool to have a checklist, of wich propeties in the scene you would like to be storage in metadata. In the moment might not be valueble, but for future comparisson sometimes is very nice.

EDIT: Thanks for the 'p' pointer Lightwolf

Lightwolf
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
No, what's that?

A list of all layers, a way to select a foreground/background layer, different ways to split the view, simple exposure controls... that kind of stuff.

Cheers,
Mike

IMI
03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
A list of all layers, a way to select a foreground/background layer, different ways to split the view, simple exposure controls... that kind of stuff.

Oh, man, that's right!
I've seen that panel a number of times when hitting p right after a render, wanting it to open the camera or light properties... but the image viewer has the focus right after a render.
Yeah, now I know what you mean - just completely forgot all about it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

IMI
03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I see now. I interrupted my image sequence render to have a look at it. Very cool, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

probiner
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Foruns/Untitled-2.gif
This would be magic when working with non organic subpatched meshes.

Ztreem
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
heres what i want...image filters AFTER render.
meaning, you render your image without imagefilters, then play with different filters on the imageviewer window and adjust settings so that they will fit...instead of spending ten minutes on a render only to find out that you got too much/not enough bloom or other effect.

those are all added post render anyway, so why the need to select them pre-render?

This is your lucky day, this feature already exist.
In the image viewer menu go to frame buffer and select render2image, now go to send image in the same menu. Now you can open the image editor and see your image there, add your image filters and double click on the image to update the image viewer, go back and alter the settings and so on and save the image when satisfied. :thumbsup:

probiner
03-05-2009, 06:52 AM
-Well looks like another pictrix plugin does the trick.
C_fit
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Foruns/Untitled-4.gif

-Instead of "Send Object to Layout", why not, "Send Selected Layers to Layout" ?

IMI
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
-Well looks like another pictrix plugin does the trick.
C_fit

-Instead of "Send Object to Layout", why not, "Send Selected Layers to Layout" ?

Well if you add a layer to an object already in Layout and select "Synchronize Layout" it will automatically update the object through Hub. Or you can paste a layer into a new object and save it and send that to Layout. Or if you make a change to a layer it will update that in Layout. Although in doing that on several occasions I've caused some weird reactions in Layout to my object, mostly it seems, after adding or altering endomorphs.
But it probably doesn't matter much anyway, since Core will apparently have all that under one interface, making all that "send to" and "synchronize" and "switch to" stuff unnecessary.

That C_fit looks cool. In between not being able to read the Japanese, it looked like it said it was for LW 7.5, and I would assume only 32 bit. Probably well worth having to open the 32 bit LW from time to time just to use on an object though. :)

4dartist
03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I want to see gradients rebuilt to be displayed as curves. I'm tired of my transparency gradient dipping below 0% when trying to make a very gentle fall off. Use modo gradient to see what I mean... I have been wanting this for a long long time.

I want particle age rebuilt so it's not integers only if it's possible.

I also would like particles to not stair step when changing direction fast.

Lightwolf
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I want to see gradients rebuilt to be displayed as curves. I'm tired of my transparency gradient dipping below 0% when trying to make a very gentle fall off. Use modo gradient to see what I mean... I have been wanting this for a long long time.
Have you seen the curve node in 9.6?

Cheers,
Mike

IMI
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Have you seen the curve node in 9.6?

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah, thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to look into that one. :)

It took me a while to find it, since they haven't updated the page of tutorials by William Vaughn in quite a while, but he made a Curve Node video which can be found in this thread HERE. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91967&highlight=curve+node)

Ember
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to look into that one. :)

It took me a while to find it, since they haven't updated the page of tutorials by William Vaughn in quite a while, but he made a Curve Node video which can be found in this thread HERE. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91967&highlight=curve+node)

Oh it's there alright. http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/96training.php

IMI
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh it's there alright. http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/96training.php

Oh, right, thanks. I forgot about that.
I was referring to these pages:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

They kept them both up to date for a while, but lost interest later on, I guess.

Ztreem
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM

This is possible allready, open the layers panel and uncheck the dot under the eye symbol for the layers you don't want to send to layout, save and send object to layout. :thumbsup:

IMI
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Ztreem, I didn't know about that either. Thank you, very cool info there. :thumbsup:

probiner
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Ty Ztreem :D thats handy