PDA

View Full Version : Video Stuttering

mhenstell
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I've got a problem with some stuttering video. This is an intermittent problem, it doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes goes away after a restart. We've had this happen during our Hockey games, while running Kris' skins, audio, a DDR, and a title template. Sometimes when switching the preview bus to another input, we get a green flash at the top of the program video.

Last night, when switching preview inputs, the program video would start stuttering, develop what looked like a frame ordering problem, and then froze all together. VT was still responsive and audio was working fine. The problem was fixed by a VT restart, but this was in the middle of our pregame coverage, and restarting not only causes a loud spike in the audio, but interrupts the video and causes a switch to a different video input while the program is restarting. We've only had the frozen video happen on one occasion, but we get the green flash on preview change from time to time, occasionally during games, when we can't do a restart.

Any ideas? Thanks

ted
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
No solid ideas, but have you watched your "Task Manager" readings to see what else might be going on with your computer?
My "guess" is that there are other things running on your computer in the background.
Then the obvious question, have you installed any new hardware or software lately?

mhenstell
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

No other hardware or software installed recently. No third-party graphics drivers, either. Fresh install of SP2 and VT5.0 (haven't tried 5.2 yet). I believe it has most of the SP2 updates installed, but other than that has never been plugged into the internet, and no other programs are installed on the computer.

I guess the next step is to try a fresh install of SP3 and VT5.2, although the problem is intermittent and doesn't usually show up until we're in a production setting when we have multiple cameras plugged in.

SBowie
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't think it would be a bad idea to clean the edge contacts on the card, if you are comfortable with the skills involved.

Quiet1onTheSet
02-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't think it would be a bad idea to clean the edge contacts on the card, if you are comfortable with the skills involved.
Yeah. While inside the case, an ink eraser needs ta' be gripped tightly. Ya' wouldn't want it ta' slip and cause a short!
:D
Seriously, the big thing to avoid, is going inside without discharging the static electricity you might have built up, from say -- walking across a carpeted floor in a particularly dry environment. For added safety (for your hardware's good), purchase and wear a wrist strap that you've connected to a suitable electrical ground, before and while working therein....

Quiet1onTheSet
02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Hello,

I've got a problem with some stuttering video. Which OS version are you running VT on, and is that 32 or 64-bit?

mhenstell
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Windows XP SP2 (32 bit). I'll try reseating the card too and see if that does any good.

Thanks

Quiet1onTheSet
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Windows XP SP2 (32 bit). I'll try reseating the card too and see if that does any good.

Thanks

* Hopefully, your media drive isn't the System Drive (i.e., the same drive that the Windows OS is on), and also,
*It'd be helpful if your drives might be checked for integrity, using a disktest utility (have someone guide you into how to do this, as I'm not a PC tech, per se; but first,
* Be certain that your system and media drives are in decent shape (that is, none are over 80% full, and just as important --
*Check to make sure your system disk and your media drives are not unduly fragmented. If needed, run the Disk Defragmenting tool, on the drives which need it.
* Finally, you'd want to confirm that the system isn't running hot inside, since adequate ventilation is a must, for a media production system's stability.

'Hope this little checklist doesn't sound condescending, just providing these in case any might've been overlooked. Let us know your progress in nailing this issue.

I'd suspect you've already ruled the above out, but just in case you might have overlooked any of the above, thought I'd offer these.