PDA

View Full Version : FiberFx problem in Layout

Dreamer
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I can't seem to figure out why I am not rendering hair on all of my objects surfaces. I am making a dog and have about 12 different surfaces for the hair. Ears, muzzle, feet, back, etc. I go into theFFx window in Layout and set the fibers fro each surface, but it only renders the surface currently picked and not the entire object. What am I missing?

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
From the screen shot you posted it looks like you need to make a clone of your fiber fx layer by right clicking on name in the left column you should get a clone function. You will need to make 12 clones, one for each surface and then assign the correct surface to each. Hope that helps.

Dreamer
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
OK, Thank you. That's the only way to allocate separate textures? Seems a bit convoluted. Is it easier to do this in Modeler?

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Yep, that's the only way I know of. Maybe there is someone else who knows a better way. :stumped:

Dreamer
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm just curious as how you knew that. I downloaded the ffx manual and couldn't find that anywhere in it.

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I figured it out by working on this mammoth that I had originally posted in the 9.6 beta forums gallery. I had originally broken the mammoth up into about 5 different surfaces and after finding out that having to use the workflow I explained above I quickly decided to only go with 2 surfaces just the ears and the main body wool. It just made it much easier by cutting down the number of surfaces after finding out what the workflow was for multiple surfaces on one object.

Another thing to keep in mind is once you apply fiber fx you can not change your subdivision level if you are using a subpatched object so be sure to set the subd level to what you need before applying fiber fx.

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
edit: double post

Dreamer
02-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Yes I remember the subd part. Do you think it is easier to do all of this in modeler? I wanted to have various surfaces for more control as when I used SasLite.

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Do you think it is easier to do all of this in modeler?

It might be. I haven't used the modeler workflow with fiberfx yet so I'm not sure if that would make it easier or not.

Dreamer
02-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Is there a way of mapping patterns on the fur? I've tried procedural and image maps. I want to get the coat to look more like the random pattern on a dog.

nemac4
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Another FiberFX gotcha is that the thickness of the hair stays the same with different camera resolutions. In other words, if your strands are 4 pixels wide at 640x480, then at 1024x768 they are still just 4 pixels wide.

Dreamer
02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
After playing with this ffx, I realized that since my hair on the object was so short, nothing I was doing to the hair would color it, but minimally. When I textured the surface below I got the results I was looking for.