PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Purchase A Rigged Character?

smcstravick
02-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi All,

I've got a job coming up that is going to require a couple of fully rigged characters.

I've not got the time to sit and model & rig them myself, and would prefer to buy some off the shelf. If I can find exactly what i'm looking for that is!

What i'm needing is a young (adolescent/early 20s) male and female mountain biker characters.

Clothing would be more aimed at style rather than streamlined racing shorts etc. So long sleeved t-shirts, 3/4 length shorts. Plus of course a helmet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I could get a couple of models like this?

Thanks,
Steven.

flakester
02-23-2009, 07:24 AM
The most likely place to look would be http://www.turbosquid.com/

Their range is good, but tends to lean towards other [non LW] formats in a few categories. You could always get a character without the rig, and sort that part yourself, at least saving yourself the modelling time.

Be pleased to see the animation when it's done, if that's cool.

Hope that helps.

--
flakester.

SplineGod
02-23-2009, 07:36 AM
http://www.kurvstudios.com/software/lightwave3d.php

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Here is a quick update on how i'm getting on with this project. I've now got the basic characters that i need, set up in DAZ Studio.

For now, I just need to create a few still renders of the characters on a bike in various poses. So I can get away with posing the character in DAZ, then exporting a static model of the pose with no bones etc.

I've exported a couple of test models as Wavefront .obj files, which seem to come into Lightwave fine, and look as if all the surfaces are intact and working when I view the object Modeler. However. when I do a test render the imported models look pretty bad. No matter how I light the scene, the characters surfaces still seem really dark. The bike model I have is looking fine in this scene, so i'm guessing its a problem with the character model, rather than my lighting.

So my question is this, would the Poser to Lightwave kit that Larry mentioned above help me with my surfacing problem? I anticipate that i'm going to have to get it at some point anyway to assist me in animating the characters, but for now, i'm just needing still poses.

Thanks in advance.

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Here is a test render of my character:

cresshead
03-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Here is a quick update on how i'm getting on with this project. I've now got the basic characters that i need, set up in DAZ Studio.

For now, I just need to create a few still renders of the characters on a bike in various poses. So I can get away with posing the character in DAZ, then exporting a static model of the pose with no bones etc.

I've exported a couple of test models as Wavefront .obj files, which seem to come into Lightwave fine, and look as if all the surfaces are intact and working when I view the object Modeler. However. when I do a test render the imported models look pretty bad. No matter how I light the scene, the characters surfaces still seem really dark. The bike model I have is looking fine in this scene, so i'm guessing its a problem with the character model, rather than my lighting.

So my question is this, would the Poser to Lightwave kit that Larry mentioned above help me with my surfacing problem? I anticipate that i'm going to have to get it at some point anyway to assist me in animating the characters, but for now, i'm just needing still poses.

Thanks in advance.

get a grab of the surface panel from a character...maybe the difuse color amount is set too low.

cresshead
03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
also he looks like he's being lit from underneath...grab a layout viewport too...

biliousfrog
03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Exported obj's often have strange surface attributes such as low diffuse and high luminosity. The mesh might also be flipped inside out, check that double-sided isn't selected and make sure that the normals are all facing outwards - good luck with that, the new unify normals tool is still fairly useless.

StOuen
03-04-2009, 03:21 AM
also he looks like he's being lit from underneath...grab a layout viewport too...

Yarp. Looks like you have him on a really reflective surface which is blowing out the other lighting.

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 03:35 AM
here is a screen grab of the scene. as you can see, his clothing seems lit ok in my preview panes, but when you do a test render, his clothing is coming out really dark.

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Yarp. Looks like you have him on a really reflective surface which is blowing out the other lighting.

the floor surface has no reflections, or luminosity. i'm guessing that would have affected my bike as well, which seems to look fine in the render.

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Exported obj's often have strange surface attributes such as low diffuse and high luminosity. The mesh might also be flipped inside out, check that double-sided isn't selected and make sure that the normals are all facing outwards - good luck with that, the new unify normals tool is still fairly useless.

I've checked the through surfaces and they all seem to have 100% diffuse, 0% luminosity.

Normals all seem to be facing outwards.

double sided was selected for some surfaces, but i've rectified that, but its not solved the problem.

biliousfrog
03-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Is it a problem with the object or with the lighting? Have you loaded a different object to see how it looks in the scene?

Do you have any SSS or shaders applied to the object or is it just an image map?

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 04:25 AM
i'm pretty sure it is a problem with the object. i've tried different objects in the scene, and they look fine. plus the bike object is rendering fine.

no SSS or shaders applied to the object, as far as i can see just image maps.

i've went ahead and purchased PLK, so hopefully that will help me with the problem.

kopperdrake
03-04-2009, 05:05 AM
If you want to upload the object or send it to me at duncan_at_albino-igil.co.uk I'll have a shufty at it for you :)

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 05:12 AM
thanks duncan, the model is on its way to you now.

smcstravick
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Another update on how my model is looking. turns out it must have been something to do with how my lighting was setup.

Attached is a render of how its looking now.

Thanks for the help Duncan, its looking 100 times better now.

kopperdrake
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
No problem :thumbsup: