PDA

View Full Version : Can you model buildings in LW?

EricJohnson1
02-23-2009, 02:20 AM
I was thinking to myself and I just wanted to know if LW is capable of modeling buildings?

Like the inside, details, windows, etc.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/cathedral.mov

Thanks.

biliousfrog
02-23-2009, 02:38 AM
yes, you can model anything you want to model it's all just poly's :stumped:

colkai
02-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Totally, it can be done 'natively' or if you want to get more accurate and greater flexibility, get the LWCAD plugin, makes doing building a joy. :)

EDIT: billiousfrog - whoa, we must of posted within seconds of each other. :p

zapper1998
02-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Except a Black Hole.... Every time i try it gets sucked in and disappears......

Na just kidding...Model anything you want.. your imagination awaits you....

Silkrooster
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
If you ever get the chance, you should watch someone build a shed or similar building. It will give you an idea of how much of the building is made with primitives. Each board is a box.
The best part is what you don't see does not have to be modeled therefore saving you time. Our modeled buildings will stay up no matter what. That is until you decide to crash it with a wind emitter. :)

PointC
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
You purchased the building plug-in and licensing from Newtek didn't you? If not, you'll owe royalties when you model a building. :devil: :D

Seriously... go crazy man. You'll be stunned how many things in this world are made of very basic shapes when you really start looking at them.

kopperdrake
02-24-2009, 03:14 AM
These guys use LightWave.

They also model a fair few buildings ;)

http://www.cityscapedigital.co.uk/projects.html

Yep it's possible.

And yep it's fun :thumbsup:

ingo
02-24-2009, 04:06 AM
.......Seriously... go crazy man. You'll be stunned how many things in this world are made of very basic shapes when you really start looking at them.

The problem are the changes. Whenever you have to change an object with LW modelling gets difficult for architectural modells.
And of course there are always easy ways to modell precise basic shapes (like in SketchUp or LWCad) or more complicated ones like in LW. Its possible, but takes more time.

jay3d
02-24-2009, 04:17 AM
For me, I model all architectural buildings using MicroStation's Feature Solid Modeling capability, that will create something similar to modifier stack, with very high accuracy to the level that booleans always creates clean cuts, then I export the finished model to Form.Z software to make a clean meshed model out of it (guads and n-gons but no triangles :) ), then export it again to LW for rendering.

It's a much faster approach, especially if the client changed the design too much. :D

DBMiller
02-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Simply Lightwave has a nice tutorial. http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=544

prometheus
02-25-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.wtools3d.com/online-help.php

Michael

Mike_RB
02-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Except a Black Hole.... Every time i try it gets sucked in and disappears......

Na just kidding...Model anything you want.. your imagination awaits you....

I had to make a black hole for Andromeda. So you can even make those.

Carm3D
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Modeling buildings or unripe cabbage is a violation of your NewTek Lightwave license agreement. If NewTek gets news that you have used Lightwave to model buildings, not only does it disqualify you from upgrading to Core, but they can press charges against you for a breach of contract.

jasonwestmas
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
uhh what happened, I posted in the wrong thread.

archijam
02-25-2009, 03:07 PM
If NewTek gets news that you have used Lightwave to model buildings, not only does it disqualify you from upgrading to Core, but they can press charges against you for a breach of contract.

I think you can get away with it if you model a transforming robot that has taken the shape of a building.

Carm3D
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I think you can get away with it if you model a transforming robot that has taken the shape of a building.

That is the legal loophole most artists use. Whenever you see an animation of a cityscape, each building is actually a fully rigged and animatable transforming robot that just happens to be resting in it's building pose. I've yet to see anyone dare cross the unripe cabbage provision.

BeeVee
02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Speaking as a NewTek employee you do realise that even mention the unripe cabbage provision will result in application of Atkins law, subsection 2; UNLESS you are exonerated by playing the Warshowsky gambit?

B

Carm3D
02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Aw poopie. No more carbs for me.

AdamAvenali
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
lightwave is totally capable. now add in LWCAD and it rocks my socks off.

oh, and just in case anyone is willing to take on newtek, here is a ref photo.

Silkrooster
02-26-2009, 05:21 PM
People stay away from the socks. Ewww. :)

AdamAvenali
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
People stay away from the socks. Ewww. :)

oh c'mon, you have never met my socks haha

inakito
02-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Definetlly you can model buildings in Lightwave... I worked in Cityscape four years and most of the modelling was done in Lightwave. Some projects were also Modo, but mainly, Lightwave.

If you can imagine, you can make it happen in Lightwave, do not forget that...