PDA

View Full Version : Playing well with others

Philbert
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I haven't had a chance to really play around with LWs collada support. How robust is it really? Like suppose a client normally uses Maya and asked you to model, texture, and animate. Would it be possible to just do it in LW and convert to Maya? Obviously some proprietary things won't convert like procedural textures and lighting may not be exactly the same.

Silkrooster
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't know. I really don't have much if anything that does support it. I think Daz Studio and Photoshop are suppose to but never tested it.

bjornkn
02-25-2009, 04:53 AM
It's the format used in Google Earth.
And SketchUp supports it. If only LW 9.6 could handle it good now it would have been my first choice for bringing correctly UV-mapped and textured models from SU til LW.

pming
02-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Hiya.

I haven't played with it either, but Collada is an open format. Anyone (re: person who knows how to program or has someone to do it for them) can grab it and create a personalized import/export with whatever features they need. AFAIK, companies are 'supposed' to create their own import/export Collada plugin. The trick is what one program sees as "must have" may be another programs "can't do"...and so you get errors or outright "Can Not Import object".

Hopefully in the future, everyone will have good Collada import/export plugins/capabilities for their programs. But right now, Collada is still kinda in it's newborn state (I've been following it since it first made it's appearance back in...'04 or so? It's 5 years, sure, but the rest of the industry is only new "seeing the light" and adding support for it. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming