PDA

View Full Version : Morphing

skywalker113
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I am making a scene with hundreds of men walking. I would like to use the same method as this tutorial

http://www.the123d.com/tutorial/lightwave2/crowd01.shtml

the objects that it is being morphed into in the sequence still reads a polygon count in the render screen even when they are fully disolved. Does this method come with a price of adding to the polygon count?

bp_jigits
02-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I would not go that route... Use mdds. That tut is dated. Mdds and displacement node editor is the way to go...:thumbsup:

skywalker113
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Where can I find out about this?

bp_jigits
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
This is probably the closest thing to what I am getting at...

http://soldierwithin.home.comcast.net/~soldierwithin/nodetut_controller.swf

Its not exactly what you are after but all the methods used can be translated to your task.

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I agree, that tutorial wont cut it for anything serious.
A couple of friends of mine, Jen and Dave worked on the crowd and soldier shots in The Last Samurai. Basically they used particle emitters with soldiers fxlinked and driven by mdd files. I believe Jen at celshader.com has a script she wrote to randomize the starting points of each soldiers mdd file. The script is up on the LA Lightwave User group site.

bp_jigits
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
randomize the starting points of each soldiers mdd file.
yhis can be done in the node editor... you can also clone to particles with node item motion and particle info.

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 05:57 PM
sure you can use nodes but its nowhere as easy or quick to do. :)

bp_jigits
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
You dont think?

I think its quiker then writing a script to randomize start frame, as you said cellshader did...

Either way will get him there, I was just throwing it out there... that it could be done with nodes as well.

I really dont think that a lot of LW users are using nodes to there full potential... thats why i always mention it.

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Shes already got the script posted up for anyone to use.
I agree totally that most LW users dont use nodes to their full potential mainly because most find them difficult to use.
I would love to use nodes more myself but theyre way too slow for the most part to use in productions where you have quick turn around times. Layers are just much quicker and easier for most things unfortunately.

bp_jigits
02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Shes already got the script posted up for anyone to use.
I agree totally that most LW users dont use nodes to their full potential mainly because most find them difficult to use.
I would love to use nodes more myself but theyre way too slow for the most part to use in productions where you have quick turn around times. Layers are just much quicker and easier for most things unfortunately.

for surfacing I agree, especially when you start with materials and mixers. Things get god awful slow!:thumbsdow

but for morphs, mdd, displacement... I think the speed is comparable. Even if there is a small speed hit I think the increase in functionality counters it... Have you noticed big slow downs in the displacement node editor on things you have been working on?

And yes an already written script is always nice...and fast.

realgray
02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
How about rendering out a walk cycle as a .png sequence and then mapping the png to particles? (poor mans massive) I know it's doable in max but I'm about to try it in Lightwave. Perhaps using sticky to adhere the particles to a plane of rolling hills? I feel an experiment coming on.

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
You could do that and map them onto polys that are fxlinked to particles or to HV sprites

EricJohnson1
02-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Or you can watch William Vaughn's video on doing the exact same thing you want to do.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Crowd.mov

SplineGod
02-23-2009, 01:50 AM
That tutorial is based on the work that Jen and Dave did that I mentioned earlier. Heres a link to Jens script to randomize the mdd starting cycle:
http://www.lalightwave.com/files/RandomizeMDDPointer.zip

bp_jigits
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Here is a video showing the nodal way... I personaly think its easier.
Judge for yourself... Its definately more flexible.

also shows how to make the best walk cycle ever.:)

The file is kinda large 90meg 14min

Nodal crowd (http://soldierwithin.home.comcast.net/~soldierwithin/crowd_nodal_web.mov)