PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Tool Question

oldfart
02-22-2009, 01:16 PM
When I use the rotation tool on an object in Lightwave 9 it will only keep the object being rotated intact in the X window if I rotate that same object in the Y or Z window the object being rotated breaks up. I'm really making an effort to learn this program and this could be I don't know what I'm doing. I work on a mac and this program is really a PC program. It's been really buggy on my computer. Everytime I close a window the program shuts down.

oldfart

RudySchneider
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
What makes you say it's "really a PC program?" Talented LightWavers come in both flavors. Next, a bit more info would be helpful. For instance...
1. There are four "modes" available --- mouse, origin, pivot, and selection. Which are you using?
2. Also, are you selecting any points, edges, or polygons before you rotate? One rule to remember in LightWave is that "if you select nothing, everything is selected." So, if you want to rotate the entire object (or object layer(s)), don't select anything.
3. Do you have Symmetry turned on? That can cause some very strange results.

Lastly, have you read the manual, done any of the tutorials, looked over the 24 hours of excellent tuts that William Vaughan has produced, here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002 ?

multipass
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
sounds like you have symmetry turned on.

Skonk
02-24-2009, 03:18 AM
100% is because you have symmetry active.

Press Shift + Y and turn it off.

biliousfrog
02-24-2009, 04:17 AM
if it's not symmetry it might be falloff active in the numeric window.

Skonk
02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
"it will only keep the object being rotated intact in the X window if I rotate that same object in the Y or Z window the object being rotated breaks up"

Has to be symmetry if it lets him rotate on the X without messing up since thats the only direction in which rotation will be the same on both the left and the right side of the object.

JeffrySG
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Maybe it's because Symmetry might be on? ;)