PDA

View Full Version : The Prince - A short comic book story

steamthunk
02-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Since the link to my deviantart account (http://steamee.deviantart.com) seems to be lost or works slowly in the WIP thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93454) I thought I would post my finished comic book project here for posterity. This marks my first ever post to the "Finished" gallery! :)

Modeled and rendered in Lightwave 3D and finished with hand inks on my TabletPC using Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Letters and balloons created in Photoshop.

JBT27
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I like it alot - the frames flow well, and the overall style is good - well, whatever.....I'm not a great comic afficianado but I enjoyed looking at these!

Julian.

agv
02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
First off, and this is probably the most important thing of all, reading these few pages makes me want to read more of the story. In a short time, you've set up an engaging scenario. I also like the layout in that it's easy to follow the action and there's some dynamic camera placement. I sometimes have trouble following the action in some graphic novels, but this is nicely laid out.

I like the line style, and the character shading emphasizes some dramatic lighting. Were you able to do that in Lightwave, another app, or did you do some hand illustration over the render?

david225
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I really like this!

A couple of questions, as I'm working on my own project very similar to this:

How long did it take you to produce one page?

As far as modeling, do you model all your assets that you will use during the duration of the piece, or do you model on a per page basis?

steamthunk
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks!

agv: Aside from the character line work, I did minor touch ups to her hair just to fill in where my messy polygon hair work didn't do a good job. Aside from that, all the coloring is from straight renders. The character models all used Super Celshader settings adjusted to my liking. I think there are about 9 light sources in the scene, but most of them are pretty faint. Also used about 25% ambient. I knew right off I wanted to use lighting to try and establish some mood so LW really helped there.

david225: The entire project from concept to final submission took just over 2 months. That's free time with a break for xmas holidays in there. This includes non-LW activities such as storyboarding, scripting, lettering, and conversion to B&W for print. I had a male human mesh already done from a previous project, but did have to adjust it to make a new female head/body. Everything else was modeled for this project from scratch. I tried to model everything first because I like to work in one mode for an extended period of time rather than switching.

I'd be really interested seeing both your projects. Please post when ready!

agv
02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for those details, Steamthunk.

Silverbeam
02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Not bad. Not sure if the style of cell shading fits the realistic models. Cartoonist shading ontop of realistic models, kinda throws it off. But It's all about style. Some would cheer, others would find it odd.

steamthunk
03-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Not bad. Not sure if the style of cell shading fits the realistic models. Cartoonist shading ontop of realistic models, kinda throws it off. But It's all about style. Some would cheer, others would find it odd.

Haha you're absolutely right. People who have seen this have tended to react one way or the other. The only thing I know at this point is that I'll be continuing to adjust the process.

geothefaust
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey Steamthunk, great work man! I've been following your comic for some time now, I really enjoyed watching each piece come together, and especially how you finished it up.

One question though, are you going to continue the story? I'd definitely like to read more.

steamthunk
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
hi. Thanks for the fan mail. :) The story is meant as a standalone. I do have some future plans for the character of Constance as she's part of a larger "universe" I'm developing. However, I'm a bit burnt out on Victorianism right now so I'll probably deviate into other stories before returning.